TEST Your Brain Fog Acuity........ LOLOL............

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by victoria, Aug 4, 2008.

1. victoria

victoria New Member

1. How many 3-cent stamps in a dozen?
    a. 3
    b. 4
    c. 12
    d. 6

2. You're the pilot of an airplane that travels from New York to
    Chicago - a distance of 800 miles. The airplane travels at 200
    m.p.h. and makes one stop for 30 minutes. What is the pilot's name?
    a. There is information missing.
    b. You can't tell from the question.
    c. Both a & b.
    d. You can tell from the question.

3. Is it legal for a man to marry his widow's sister?
    a. Yes.
    b. No.
    c. Legality has nothing to do with it.
    d. It's legal, but unethical.

4. There are ten black and ten white stockings in a drawer. If you reach into the drawer in the dark, what is the least number of stockings you must take out before you are sure of a pair that matches?
    a. 1
    b. 2
    c. 3
    d. 4

5. A kangaroo is at the bottom of a 30-foot well. Each day he jumps up three feet and slips back two. At that rate, when will he reach the top?
    a. 27th day
    b. 28th day
    c. 29th day
    d. 30th day

6. A rope ladder is hanging over the side of a ship. The ladder is 12 feet long, and the rungs are one foot apart. The lowest rung is resting on the top of the ocean. The tide rises at the rate of four inches per hour. How long will it take before the first four rungs of the ladder are under water?
    a. 36 hours.
    b. 2 days.
    c. They will never be under water.
    d. 1 day.

7. Which would be worth more - a trunk full of nickels or a half a
    trunk full of dimes?
    a. Dimes.
    b. Nickels.
    c. Both are the same.
    d. None of the above.

8. A child playing on the beach had 6-1/6 sand piles in one place and 3-1/3 in another. If he put them together, how many sand piles would he have?
    a. 10
    b. 3-1/3
    c. 2-5/6
    d. None of the above.

9. It takes 4-1/2 hours for a jet to fly coast to coast. One plane leaves Los Angeles for New York at 4:40 P.M., while another plane leave New York for Los Angeles at 6:00 P.M. Which plane will be closer to New York when they pass each other?
    a. The LA bound plane.
    b. The NY bound plane.
    c. Neither would be closer.
    d. None of the above.

10. In the Hope family there are seven sisters and each sister has one brother. Including Mr. & Mrs. Hope, how many are in the family?
    a. 10
    b. 16
    c. 14
    d. None of the above.

11. If the Vice President of the United States should die, who would be President?
    a. The Speaker of the House.
    b. The Secretary of State.
    c. The President Pro Temp.
    d. The President.

12. How many times can you subtract 2 from the numeral 21?
    a. 10
    b. 10
    c. Unlimited
    d. None of the above.

13. Would it be cheaper for you to take one friend to the movies twice, or two friends to the movies at the same time?
    a. Two friends at the same time.
    b. One friend twice.
    c. It would cost the same.
    d. The former would be twice as expensive as the latter.

14. On a farm in Malaya is the world's most perfect plum tree. The main trunk has exactly 24 branches, each branch exactly 12 boughs, each bough exactly 6 twigs, and each twig bears one piece of fruit. How many apples on the tree?
    a. 42
    b. 1126
    c. 188
    d. None of the above.

15. When you take two apples from three apples, what do you have?
    a. 2
    b. 1
    c. 3
    d. None of the above.

16. How close a relative would the sister-in law of your father's only brother be?
    a. Your aunt
    b. Your grandmother
    c. Your grandfather
    d. Your mother

17. A bus starts at the depot with six passengers. It proceeds a few blocks and stops. Two passengers get off and five get on. It continues a short distance and stops. Three get off and seven board. It starts again, continues, and stops and four get off and four get on. It proceeds on its route, stops, and five get on, three leave, then two more get on. On the next stop, 14 get on and no one gets off. How many stops did the bus make?
    a. 21
    b. 5
    c. 23
    d. 4

18. Can you throw a golf ball with all your might and, without hitting a wall or other obstruction, have it stop and come right back to you?
    a. You can't
    b. You can
    c. Only if you can "doctor" the ball
    d. None of the above

19. In which book of the Bible do you read about Abel slaying Cain?
    a. In Genesis
    b. In Deuteronomy
    c. In both Genesis and mentioned in Exodus
    d. It's not in the Bible

20. Read the following sentence slowly once counting the number of F's.

Final Files Are The Result Of Years
    Of Scientific Study With The Experience Of Years.

How many did you find?
    a. 2
    b. 3
    c. 4
    d. 6

21. How many cubic feet of earth are there in a hole 2 yards wide, 3 yards long, and 4 yards deep?
    a. 26 yards
    b. 72 yards
    c. 24 yards
    d. None

22. If you drop a steel ball into a bucket of water, at which
    temperature would it fall fastest?
    a. -50 C
    b. 20 F
    c. 32 C
    d. There would be no difference

23. When somebody says, "I'll break every bone in your body", how many bones would he have to break?
    a. 50
    b. 200
    c. 500
    d. 1000

24. How many punctuation marks are there in English grammar?
    a. 5
    b. 9
    c. 14
    d. 18

25. How well do you remember old movies? What character played by Boris Karloff brought him the greatest success?
    a. Frankenstein
    b. Dracula
    c. A scientist
    d. The monster

26. The amount of water flowing into a tank doubles every minute. The tank is full in an hour. When was the tank half full?
    a. 15 minutes
    b. 10 minutes
    c. 29 minutes
    d. 59 minutes

27. There are two 5-gallon containers. One has 4 gallons of red fluid and the other 4 gallons of blue. One gallon of the blue is poured into the red container, and then one gallon of the now mixed 4-red to 1-blue is poured back into the blue container. Is there more red in the blue or more blue in the red container
    a. Twice as much red in the blue
    b. Twice as much blue in the red
    c. 4/5 as much blue in the red
    d. Both will be even

28. You've seen a map of Italy. In which direction does the toe of the boot face?
    a. East
    b. West
    c. North
    d. South

29. By what fractional part does four-fourths exceed three-fourths?
    a. 1/4
    b. 1/6
    c. 1/3
    d. 3/8

30. A sophisticated computer is fed this knotty problem.
    Between two clocks, one of which is broken and doesn't run at all while the other looses one second every 24 hours, which is more accurate?
    a. The slow clock is twice as accurate
    b. The broken clock is far more accurate
    c. Neither are ever accurate
    d. Both are equally accurate

LOL I'll let y'all supply the answers, I'm too brainfogged and don't want to be embarrassed.... still recovering from the move and adjusting to elevation etc... Victoria

2. Juloo

Juloo Member

Enjoyed reading, if not answering! Actually, I did okay on the ones that didn't require math....

And that's from someone who couldn't remember the right word for 'crutches' today. (I called them 'ladders'!)
  3. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

Aren't you ever going to tell us what the correct answers are?
  4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Are you in Mexico? Where? Do you speak Spanish? Can you fix
    ceviche, enchilades and guacamole?

5. victoria

victoria New Member

don't get mad at me, but it was sent to me without any answers...

I figured (hoped) y'all would figure it all out sooner or later?

I am living in Tzintzuntzan (accent on last syllable)... try saying THAT 3X in a row LOL. It's in the state of Michoacan, altitude is about 6800', temps have been perfect if a bit damp as it's their rainy season.

Nope don't speak Spanish - yet... not very many English speakers or gringos/expats around, altho happily our landlady is from NJ/CA, so of course she's been a big help.

I am planning on refreshing my Spanish via computer for the basics, I did take 3 years of Spanish way too long ago (in HS); LOL, it's weird how phrases 'surface' in my brain, altho not at the right time/place!

There's also a cafe nearby where people meet to practice English & Spanish weekly (tho I haven't gone yet), plus a small language school but it's pretty intensive (4 hours/day 5X/week for 2 weeks). At some point tho it would likely help with grammar in particular. I don't know that my brain could take all that in right now anyway, even with beginning Spanish!

My landlady gives me hope as she's been in MX for 5 years and is fairly fluent - tho she says not grammatically correct necessarily- she can at least converse.

LOL Guacamole is easy... and there's a really nice local restaurant across the street that makes their own blue corn tortillas and anything else you'd want.... good carne asada grilled over wood fire.... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm and lots of fresh juices (no water added) squeezed in front of you!

I KNOW there are lots of good brains on this board... I've seen you in action! - somebody please tell us the answers?!

all the best,

[This Message was Edited on 08/13/2008]
  6. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

1. 12
    2. c
    3. c
    4. c
    5. d (or c?)
    6. c
    7. c (Hey, what's with all the c's???)
    8. d
    9. c
    10. 10
    11. d
    12. 10
    13. a
    14. d
    15. a
    16. d
    17. b
    18. b
    19. no clue
    20. d
    21. d
    22. no clue
    23. c (but I don't think that's actually correct:)
    24. b
    25. d
    26. d
    27. wha...?!
    28. uhm west?
    29. 1/4
    30. b

I did all of these before I found out there were no answers!!!

I have had such profound and disturbing cognitive problems that I made myself do them to stave off what can only be imminent dementia. There is blood coming out of my eyes and smoke from my ears.

I will forgive you when someone comes along with the answers.

Wow, you're in Mexico; how cool is that?!

Peace out,

7. rockgor

you've made a good start. I wish you happiness and mucho mas.

We're going to lunch in Burbank Sat. at Mucho Mas, favorite Mexican restaurant.

As for the answers, I did the first 8 and then got tired.

Rifiki, I agree w/ most of your answers. On #2 the answer is whatever your name is.

On # 5 I think the answer is the 28th day. At the end of the 27th day the kangaroo has gained 27 feet. Next day he jumps 3 feet and is out.

On # 7 the answer depends on how much room the coins take up. The dimes are thinner, but the nickels are wider. So half a trunk full of dimes should be worth more, right?

On #8, the little boy would have one big sandpile.

Too much zigging back and forth. Going to lie down w/ one of my new paperbacks from the library sale.

8. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

Slapping self upside head!

Of course... re all!

You are SO SMART!

I love your brain... it's wonderful!

Thanks Rock,

9. springwater

springwater Active Member

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! You actually attempted the answers? Not me, i took one look at the quiz, decided it was math and my mind became blank....

serve you right if your ears are smoking, blood coming out of your eyes....wouldnt be surprised if you are foaming at the mouth a little too

Victoria is truly mischievous for putting answerers thru all that...

God Bless
  10. rockgor

Here are some more responses.

9 too tricky for me
    10 7 girls, 1 boy, two parents = ten

11 d the president
    12 you can only do the subtraction once.

13 Take two friends at same time = three tickets
    Take one friend twice = 4 tickets

14 No apples on plum tree
    15 If you take 2 apples, you have 2 apples.

16 Be your mom
    17 This puzzle has to be presented orally.

18 Throw the ball up.
    19 Caine killed Able

20 six, count the "OF's".
    21 d., no dirt left

22 c. freezing point
    23 As best I can remember there are about 207. Of course some like the wrist bones are just little chunks of gravel.

24 Can't remember 14?
    25 The monster. Gordon and I call our chiropractor Frankenstein, but his real name is Meyer.

26 59 min, filled up the next minute

Going back to bed. We agreed on about a dozen of these, Rafiki.

11. victoria

victoria New Member

Springwater, LOL, I felt the same way!! altho I did scan a bit further to the non-math related questions to see what I could muster out of my fogged brain...

GeorgiaC - what mountaineous area are you considering? I am in the mountains... near Morelia... weather's cool year-round... which means no need for air cond., just some heat on winter nights.

12. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

If the planes are crossing they are in the same place :)

I was so happy when I thought to throw the golf ball straight up in the air. Felt like a genius :) I think I even went: Ah ha!!! I do make me laugh.

Some of your answers are truly brilliant. Never thought of the size of dimes vs nickles (slaps self).

You can only do the subtraction once!!! Of course! Duh!

One pile of sand! But of course! Duh.

You have a quick and agile mind, dear Rock. I know you are sometimes impatient with it but it is, truly, a marvel.

Peace out,
  13. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

I did actually attempt to answer them. Very silly of me, I know! If I had any sense I would have just waited for Rock!

14. victoria

victoria New Member

but I DO wish you'd taken a picture of yourself?!...

LOL, you got WAY further than me, no energy to even go thru those 'changes'!

15. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

Your paint calculations are so impressive! The paint question was utterly beyond me -- even an attempt to solve was out of the question. I'm impressed! You probably know what colour the paint is, too. Purple? Probably a trick question! Brown :~)

I, too, thought the time zones must be terribly important in 9 until I imagined the planes crossing and realized they'd have to be in the same place to do that... LOL!

I'm still confused about the bones. I don't think any of the answers are actually correct. I keep going over the phrasing but... still, duh!

24 is interesting. I was quite the sight looking heavenward and counting on my fingers with a keyboard just in front of me! Good to know it's 14, never did get it right :~)

Also loved, and could not follow, the way you reasoned #29. You are a clever clog! I feel so dumb! However, it's neither a new feeling nor is it one I mind very much.

I do quibble with the clock, however. A stopped clock would have to be right 2x per day.

I am very grateful to Victoria for this recreational thinking because all the necessary and important thinking I've been doing lately has been dreadful and this is, most surprisingly, fun!

Let's all go to Mexico, stay at Victoria's, and let her amuse and torment us!

16. rockgor

A little stimulation of the mind is good now and then.

Rafiki, "Duh!" reminds me I just read a novel. The author had teenagers in the 70s using slang that was not from the 70s. "Duh" was one; forgot the other.

Typical of many authors. Just read a book by Stephen King's son. He features press-on nails in a story set during WWII.

I never got around to the last few questions. Have been off line most of the last two days. The computer is on the warpath as my mother used to say.

Yes, Jean, I thought about time zones too, but Rafiki cut right to the heart of the matter w/ the airplanes. I can tell you from personal experience if you mix red and green paint you get brown. (But is that responsive? No, not really.)

I think I saw that one problem before only it involved teaspoons of coffee and milk or some such.

Anyway, thanks for the stimulation, Victoria.

Oh, now I remember. The slang phrase was "Bite Me". We had a receptionist in our office about 5-6 years ago who said that many times a day.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/14/2008]