Tested for Vitamin D. Interesting Result.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by zenouchy, Jul 17, 2008.

1. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Hi All,

Hope you all are doing as well as possible today. I was tested for Vitamin D a few days ago and the results came back that I was in a normal range. I'm 38 years old with fair skin. I realize that Vitamin D levels can drop off more as people get older, and that I'm probably not considered in the older category yet.

I was a little surprised with the results though because I'm fair skinned and don't get outside as much as suggested by the Vitamin D Council. However, I'm very glad I got tested before I started supplementing with Vitamin D for no reason. My doctor said I could start taking Vit. D supplements, and it occurred to me that it might be better to get tested first.

I'm really happy for those of you who are getting much-needed help with Vit. D supplements. Just wish I knew why I was fatigued so often since Vit. D deficiency is not a culprit.

I'm going to re-take the test in the future though. I think that's a great idea. And hey, I don't have to study for it! ;-) Have a great day everyone.

Warm hugs,

2. MamaDove

MamaDove New Member

Hi Erika,

Was wondering which D test your doc ordered...

D,125 or D,25 hydroxy?

My D,125 (which is the one commonly ordered) was 37, within normal range, however, my D25 hydroxy which combines the D2 and D3 (D3 being the most useful) was LOW...I am now supplementing cause I don't do dairy but I am out in the sun, without sunblock.

I am also 40 years young, although I do not think that has much bearing on D levels...

3. mujuer

mujuer New Member

I just had a whole vitamin D panel done and was rated at 35 and this was after I had been taking vitamin D for the past month so my Dr. told me to keep taking it even though it is nice and sunny up here finally. P
  4. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Thanks! I appreciate you all taking the time to respond. I found out from the lab where I got my blood work done that the test was indeed the D25 hydroxy, so that's good.

I also called my doc's nurse and asked her to tell me the exact number. Great idea. My doc is usually careful on noticing when numbers are low normal and will respond to that, but still, I should know exact number of my own blood work in case he missed something.

Plus, he has a new nurse, and she likes to play doctor a little too much. I really don't like that. His old nurse would confer with him more. It's annoying. Another reason to get the exact number.

Thanks again everyone!

Warm hugs,

5. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

I read recently but I was brain fogged a research paper or a post here(so it's still theory) that one of the pathogens we have, uses the Vit D.

So the deficiency may not be THE cause of our illness but the deficiency is due to a pathogen. Supplementing may actually be feeding the pathogen.

Perhaps your numbers are normal because you don't have that particular pathogen.

Does anyone remember reading this in the past two weeks?

I should try to back track and see if I can find that reference.

6. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Hi Marti,

That's very interesting info. Thank you for sharing it with us. IMHO, I never thought that a Vit D deficiency was the cause of fibro. I think it can be one of several things that can contribute to fatigue and possibly pain, which are two of just several of the symptoms of fibro (IBS, I/C, brain fog, etc). Many people for example do not get stage 3 & 4 sleep or get to those stages long enough (for unknown reasons), which also explains some of the fatigue.

Fibro. is such a mystery. People get diagnosed fibro for different reasons---some get it after car accidents, some are born with it (genetic), some after stressful events. Now this info on pathogens. It seems like the more info we get, the more fibro seems mysterious. Thank you again for sharing this interesting info.

Warm hugs,

7. Banka8

Banka8 New Member

If you read the science behind the Marshall Protocol it says that the pathogens are rapidly converting 25d to it's active metabloite 1-25d. That is why many people with Th1 disorders (TH1 means T helper cell) will have low 25d levels and almost always high 1-25d levels.

If you think about it in a logical way the people who are supplementing with vitamin d have a hard time keeping the 25d levels high. As soon as they stop supplementing the levels start to drop (at least that is what I have gleened from some of the posts of vitamin d takers on this website).

Vitamin d is not the problem. The problem is the pathogens. Once our body is rid of the pathogens then it will regulate vitamin d levels where they should be. But until that happens taking large doses of vitamin d just generates higher 1-25d levels which are immunosuppressive and effect the innate immune system.

Before the human race knew anything about supplementing with vitamins we managed to survive and thrive under much more harse conditions than we have now. If thousands of units of vitamin d was needed everyday to function we wouldn't be here.

I don't know why the bacteria are having such a horrible effect on people in the last thirty or more years. Has modern science with all it's experimenting generated some kind of weird super bacteria that slowly distroys the immune system? Is it the combination of pollution and genetically altered mircobs and food. Is it a combo of bacteria and viruses and fungus? What I firmly believe is that it is not a vitamin d deficiency and the only way to return to health is to get our immune system functioning the way it should.

It may be that once we get rid of the bacteria we will need to stay on the MP meds forever because the bacteria are everywhere and nothing is going to change that.

I am not diminishing the roll of viruses in our disease. I feel it is a combo of bacteria and viruses and fungal pathogens. But the innate immune system is the only thing that can get rid of them all.

8. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

I don't know whether it's good to supplement with Vitamin D.

I do think that the conditions on our planet are extremely different than those experienced by our ancestors, due to the toxins that we now are exposed to.

And it is clear that toxins of many or most kinds have severe effects on the immune system.

I would be inclined to blame the presence of pathogens of whatever sort much more on this problem than on the idea that they're getting too much Vitamin D.

I also think that with this much higher of a toxic burden, the nutrients that were sufficient for our ancestors may not be sufficient to keep us going in any kind of optimal way.

Figuring out which nutrients might or might not need to be supplied in large doses in this changed environment would be a worthy research project, I think.
  9. mrlondon

mrlondon Member

banka8 - It is not true that people with TH1 disorders always have high 1,25(OH)2D. There are no studies that show this, except for sarcoidosis. Additionally, the MP uses the Merck manual definition of what the normal range is for 1,25(OH)2D. However, that definition is very outdated. Any lab today defines the normal range to be much higher. The Merck manual's range was defined decades ago, using outdated measuring methods.

Also, it's not clear that increased levels of 1,25(OH)2D leads to lower levels of 25(OH)D. For example, people with Crohn's who have higher levels of 1,25(OH)2D, don't have significantly different levels of 25(OH)D compared to people with Crohn's who have lower levels of 1,25(OH)2D.

I've posted more information about these issues on my web page:

<a href="http://web.mit.edu/london/www/universe.htm">http://web.mit.edu/london/www/universe.htm</a>

- Mark
  10. jimbbb

jimbbb New Member

Yes for a while it was touted as a rapid conversion of 25D to 1,25D would use up the 25D causing low levels.

But now that Dr Marshall has fleshed out the entire cycle he says that 25,D is being DOWNREGULATED in Th1 challenged patients.

This is what he said:

"I have been deprecating the concept of vigorous conversion for several years.

If you look at Figure 1 from my Bioessay you will see exactly what happens. When the VDR is blocked by the pathogens, the enzymes to break down 1,25-D are not transcribed (particularly CYP24), so 1,25-D can rise to abnormal levels. Additionally the transcription of CYP27A1 is blocked by Vitamin D, 25-D and 1,25-D causing the hydroxylation of Vitamin-D to 25-D to be down-regulated."

So .. a real mouthfull compared to the old idea of 'rapid conversion of 25D' .. but if it was easy, everyone would have figured it out by now. ;-)

[This Message was Edited on 08/07/2008]
  11. mrlondon

mrlondon Member

Jim - I discuss this "new" MP theory also on my web page. The ability of abnormally high levels 1,25(OH)2D to decrease production of 25(OH)D has been known for decades. However, this effect has never shown to have a significant impact on 25(OH)D levels, except when 1,25(OH)2D is very high, i.e. in sarcoidosis, or when people are injected with 1,25(OH)2D. - Mark