**Tested positive for rheumatoid factor, nervous

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by boltchik, Sep 6, 2006.

1. boltchik

boltchik New Member

Hi guys,

Going to see my nurse practitioner today who referred me to a rheumatologist because I tested positive for the rheumatoid factor. I have fibro, really hoping I don't have to throw rheumatoid arthritis into the mix! Lupus test was fine and all other blood tests except a little high on the thyroid. Feeling nervous, I feel too young to be dealing with so many health issues!! Just venting....

Thanks, Kim
    [This Message was Edited on 09/06/2006]
  2. boltchik

boltchik New Member

3. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

Kim, I'm sorry about your test results and can understand your anxiety. My daughter-in-law was recently diagnosed with RA and her Rheumy has given her a med that is taking care of it. As Nancy said, there have been so many advances that if you treat it early you should be fine.

Probably better off than with FMS.

Lolalee
  4. boltchik

boltchik New Member

Thank you for your kind words. I guess I will know for sure after a visit to the rheumy doc. I don't know which would be worse, having the fibro or the RA. Hopefully, I won't have to deal with both. I am just going to keep positive! :)
  5. laura3951

laura3951 New Member

hey i am newly diagnosed with ra, it was hard the first few weeks but now just gotta move on i am on my second drug, it seems to be working i feel better than i have in months.lucily alot has moved forward the field. give yourself some wallow time read ask questions i dont know as much as some but i am here if you need me. missy
  6. boltchik

boltchik New Member

I am glad to hear you are doing better with the RA. Do the meds put the disease in remission?

I don't know for sure if that's what I have. I just tested positive for the rheumatoid factor and I have a bad flare of fibro right now. I have also been running low grade fevers so that's why my dr. thinks I may have something autoimmune going on like rheumatoid arthritis.

I'm scared, but I am trying not to overanalyze anything right now. Just feeling down I guess, sick of pain and fatique. You know the feeling. Take good care of yourself.

Kim
  7. kirschbaum26

kirschbaum26 New Member

Dear Kim:

Sorry to hear you may have RA. There are many of us who have FMS and RA, or other types of Arthritis. There have been great advances in medications to treat RA. There is one thing that is very important and that is that you treat it early, and as aggressively as you can.

Not sure how old you are, but I am 44 and have had RA for 13+ years, and FMS dx about 4 years ago. I am fairly sure I have had the FMS for many more years...all the way back to childhood. I had a tough time with the FMS...and took lots of meds for many years. The only thing that really has helped my RA has been prednisone. Unfortunately, I took it for 7+ years, and while I did not have a large dose (started at 10mg per day and got up to 20mg per day) I am paying the price now.

As far as RA is concerned...do you have any joints that are bothering you? Have you had any loss of range of motion, swelling, deformity, etc? If you have not, that could be a good sign...as your body may just be starting to attack the joints. The earlier you start treatment, the better the results usually are.

Find yourself a good Rheumatologist...they really can make your life much more enjoyable.

Good luck.

Ingrid
  8. boltchik

boltchik New Member

I am not sure if I have joint or muscle pain, because I hurt all over. It seems more muscular to me, but who knows. My bloodwork did not show any swelling, so I may not have been in a flare then. This may all just be part of the fibro, but they are concerned about RA since I have also been running a low grade fever, and the positive RF test. But I hear that low grade fever is common with flares of fibro also. If I do have it, I think it is early. I guess I won't know for sure for a few weeks.

I hope you are doing well and having a pain free day!
    Kim
  9. rachel432

rachel432 New Member

i just had blood drwn for rhuematoid factor yesterday and i'm waiting for the results. my dr is concerned becaude of the type of pain i've been having. i totally understand and sympathise with your anxiety on this.
    rachel
  10. boltchik

boltchik New Member

Thanks for your post. I hope your blood tests come back normal. I will say a prayer for you. I have been told that the positive rheumatoid factor could be due to the viral infections we get with fibro. I'm hoping that it is the case with our blood tests so we don't have to throw RA into the mix! Take good care of yourself! Kim

[ advertisement ]