Tested VERY ELEVATED for Mercury!!!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by erica741, Jul 18, 2008.

1. erica741

erica741 New Member

I recently got the results of my Heavy Metals testing through Doctor's Data lab, and I came up "Very Elevated" for mercury. My mercury level was 30, with a reference range of <4!

Next to the numerical level, there is a bar graph with my Mercury level to the end of the page!

I don't understand how I could have ever gotten such high mercury levels. I've never had one filling, which seems to be the source of most mercury problems.

I also have Lyme and high EBV and HHV-6. Does anyone know which problem came first? (I haven't been able to discuss with my doctor yet).

I already posted about this on another thread started by Jam338, so thanks to those of you who replied there. I will try to reply to you guys on this thread to avoid straying further on Jam's.

Thanks for all the advice so far!

[This Message was Edited on 07/18/2008]
  2. erica741

erica741 New Member

Thanks for your reply about mercury on the other thread.

Ironically, I actually never ate much seafood until I got sick! I eat more now trying to eat healthier.

I don't recall being exposed to mercury...wait I did break a mercury thermometer just a few months ago though, well into my illness. But there was no mess or anything, and I just threw it out.

I never thought about it before, but wonder if that affected my poor outcome on Valctye?

Thanks for your advice!

3. erica741

erica741 New Member

You both have a lot of scientific/medical knowledge!

Marti: I get that a double chelator is better than a single, but what makes the difference?

What works best and is safe to take for the mercury? Sounds like you are saying the DMSA is effective, but not safe to take regularly?

4. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

I had a very poor experience last year on a mild antiviral (Famvir) and then a VERY small amount of antibiotic (doxy).

I've been working on mold poison avoidance and detoxification for the past seven months.

I now am able to tolerate antivirals and antibiotics much, much better. I think this is because my immune system has improved, though I've yet to get re-tested for Rnase-L and NKC numbers.

My hope is that if I keep working on the mold, I won't need those pathogen killers at all. We shall see.

I don't know if everyone with CFS has toxic mold as a core issue, but I'm increasingly of the belief that toxins are at the root of what's destroyed our immune systems.

They could be different toxins for different people.

There seems to be a good amount of suspicion that mercury could be one of those things, which is one of the core reasons that the methylation approach (similar to Amy Yasko's approach in autism) is supposed to be important.

I think it's possible that a lot of us have problems with more than one toxin though. That would explain why we're so sick.
  5. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Hi Kelly,

Why can't you take the chlorella etc? Is that one of Dr. Lerner's orders, or is there some other reason?

I've been taking a brown seaweed potion, and it's been having a huge effect on me. I'm not sure why.

Best, Lisa
  6. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

The double thiols has two (sulfide I think) molecules so when it attaches to a heavy metal, it hangs on. The single thiol will drop it if something else with higher positive charge comes along. It could then drop it anywhere.

In that case, it is better to leave it where it was (fat cells and tissue).

Have you ever had any crowns? Anything metal in your mouth at all. Do you think it is possible that you had a filling as a child then it was covered up with a porcelain filling? This is done a lot which is not good.

If not, then it must have been environmental and from food. This is so common it is sickening.

I am not sure that it matters which came first. The key now is to try to reverse the damage and clear the pathogens. If possible, for you, it would be great if you had Lyme that could be reversed and the viruses put into remission - very possible. If you have already triggered over into immune dysfunction, then it is no longer a Lyme/Virus issue but more of a systemic issue - (in other words, even if you got rid of Lyme, you would still be sick. If this is the case, then it would take a little longer. But still possible to recover).

There are several schools of thought - Yasko's is to get the methylation cycle working and the mercury comes out on it's own at the body's normal pace (probably a little slower than a normal person).

Other protocols is pull it out, slow or fast. I have done this but I am not convinced that it is the best way. If our detox system isn't working, then we may still not be getting it out even if we are using a double thiol chelator.

So, right now, I am working on methylation and detoxification and viral issues and letting heavy metal wait. I need to try to focus on bacterial but need to do more research. Baby steps.

Added this:
    According to my functional medicine doctor, the thyroid is the first to go when there is high mercury so you may want to investigate if that may be part of the current problem.
  7. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Regarding the thyroid:

I wouldn't doubt that mercury can cause this to be dysfunctional.

However, the thing that I _know_ can do a real number on the thyroid is toxic mold.

This is very commonly reported in people who are known to have had mold exposure. Moving back and forth between hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism (a weird symptom) is pretty common.

Those people who get well from mold poisoning (which most people other than CFS sufferers do automatically after they get away from the mold and do maybe a little detox) usually have their thyroids go back to normal when this happens.

My thyroid function is one part of my system that I'm still needing to support. This bothered me for a while, but I think it's because the mold poison is continuing to bother it as I detox.

My thyroid has been especially screwy in the last few years of my illness (when I got sicker in general and when the mold may have been getting a lot worse). The amount of thyroid supplementation (time-release T3) I needed seemed to change on a day-by-day basis for a while.

At least now this is stable even if I need a significant amount. Perhaps eventually I'll need less of it, though I suspect that may be one of the last of my symptoms to repair itself.

8. Waynesrhythm

Waynesrhythm Member

Hi Erica,

You might find Rich Carson's (founder of ProHealth) mercury detox story to be of interest.

<a href="http://www.immunesupport.com/library/showarticle.cfm?id=7696&T=CFIDS_FM">Rich Carson’s Mercury Detox Story</a>

Also, I've heard dental offices can have dangerous levels of mercury in them. Even if a person gets non-amalgam fillings, mercury in the ducts and ventilating systems can contaminate a whole office if amalgam work is done at all. In some instances, if other dentists in the same building use mercury and share the same building ductwork, it can contaminate the working space of a mercury-free dentist.

Hi Anchorholds - I was wondering what OSR is. I've thought about merucry and other toxins in my brain for years, and have settled into a routine where I do the oil pulling technique (holding oil in the mouth to draw toxins from the body). I've assumed that it might be especially helpful for toxins in the brain because of the proximity. I usually follow up with some bentonite clay, which also draws toxicity. I always seem to feel better after I do these techniques.

Regards, Wayne
  9. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

i havent read the above posts but i have read about people getting mercury from tap water in some places. also, CFS people cannot get rid of mercury very well i think?

last year, i had a metal sensitivity test from redlabs but it was negative. this tested for metal receptors...demeirleir says that the more metal you have, the more receptors you would have. i am not sure that many other doctors believe this though.

will you be getting chelation?

10. AndrewB

AndrewB New Member

Metallothionein & Glutathione

Watch and learn how to do it:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=yysPir02S5k[This Message was Edited on 07/19/2008]
  11. JoFMS

JoFMS New Member

Hi Erica,

Have you heard of Dr Cutler's protocol for mercury chelation? He advises starting on a low dose of DMSA to get rid of the mercury burden in your body. His protocol advises to take a low dose starting at 12.5mg every 4 hours including throughout the night so it stays in your system.

Later on, you can also start Alpha Lipoic Acid to draw mercury from the brain.

I have just had all 6 of my mercury fillings out and have just started round 1 of the protocol so can update people on here if I start to feel better at some stage.

He also advises taken higher quantities of Vit E, C, A, zinc, magnesium, B vits, milk thistle and a few others whilst taking the DMSA.

I would def recommend reading about his recommendations, it's also used for children with autism and I believe it to have a lot of success.

He has a book called 'Amalgam illness' to which is all about mercury poisoning and how it affects you, prevents you from being able to rid your body of toxins, parasites etc. If we have mercury in our bodies it seems it's very difficult to heal as it interferes with many functions so it's def worth looking into.

Although you have never had any fillings, like others say - it can be in the environment, seafoods, water and many other things these days due to heavy pollutants contaminating the sea. The one bonus is that you would not need to go through the process of getting all your fillings removed as you don't have any! Be sure you also don't have any crowns etc or other dental treatment that might contain any metals.

If I see improvements on this protocol, I will post them so watch out for any positive posts on it.

Here's a link to Dr Cutler's site:
  12. Waynesrhythm

Waynesrhythm Member

Hi Kelly,

I do think that clay foot baths can pull heavy metals out of the body. I also tend to think it's one of the safest, easiest, and effective way of doing so. The thread I started was entitled:

<a href="http://www.immunesupport.com/chat/forums/message.cfm?id=1104646&B=FM#1104646">Detoxification Clay / Clay Foot Baths Work Well for Me</a>

A notable post on this thread was made by Cherylsue after doing her second clay foot bath...

"I noticed after emptying the water, that on the bottom of the pan there was black grit mixed in with the soft grey clay. This is supposed to be a good sign that the mercury came out of my pores and combined with the clay. I was supposed to watch for this."

I get my clay from a company called evenbetternow. The founder of this company claims to have cured herself of CFS and IC by primarily focusing on detoxification measures. I also buy a product from this place called Bio-Chelate. Can't say how well it works, but I tend to trust this website and the information they have to offer. They have a lot of information on detoxification measures to improve all types of neurological conditions.

Hi Anchor -- Thanks for your response regarding OSR. I'll have to check into it at some point. Regarding dentists, I've also read they have the highest rate of Parkinson's Disease compared to all other professions. I think even mainstream medicine look at PD as at least partially caused by environmental toxins.

I think any discussion having to do with detoxification measures is an important one. So much of our body simply can't function as it was intended if it is weighted down by such destructive toxicity. Rich Carson's detox story is a good example of that.

Regards, Wayne

13. erica741

erica741 New Member

I've not been feeling well enough to read through them yet, but am going to print out the thread and the links, and have my mom read for me.

I'll get back to you when I'm feeling better. Thanks again! :)

14. redhummingbird

redhummingbird New Member

You must be feeling awful. I hope you feel better soon.

I hope your doctor calls you back also. Based on the responses it seems the mercury levels could be contributing to how badly you're feeling (along with all the herxing).

This is also very interesting given that you don't have any fillings.