Testing for fibromyalgia

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by nannoo, Jan 21, 2003.

1. nannoo

nannoo New Member

Can you tell me how they test for fibromyalgia? Thanks.
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Meaning that there is no marker for this illness which is currently recognized by the medical profession. I have heard that Substance P in our spinal fluids may be a marker, but right now no one is lining up for a spinal tap. There has got to be an easier way.

FMS is a diagnosis of elimination. Lots of other illnesses can mimic ours, so the docs test for those conditions and if all tests are negative and we have enought FMS symptoms, the docs usually diagnose us as having FMS.

This is one of the reasons our illness doesn't get the attention it deserves. Once there is some kind of physical marker which is acceptable, FMS will probably be recognized as a disease in its own right.

Love, Mikie
  3. marcus1243

marcus1243 New Member

You might want to check out my post 'so frustrated with negative tests' -- you can see what I've had to exclude to reach/confirm my dx of fibro! I have all the tender points but I'm still going to go on searching for reasons for my symptoms -- I'm sure there's an answer to explain fibro somewhere, but nobody seems to know what it is!
    --marcus
    [This Message was Edited on 01/22/2003]

[ advertisement ]