Testing - please help

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by samjenkin, Mar 5, 2003.

1. samjenkin

samjenkin New Member

Hi there

I have been reading this messageboard for a while and responded to a few. I have found particularly interesting the co-infection scenario, mycoplasma, etc. I have a doctor's appt next week. However, my doctor is not very helpful or clued about about CFS and I wondered if someone could help me with a list of things I shoudl ask to be tested for and what tests they do (because I may have to tell her what tests to ask the hospital for).

I would be very grateful for any advice.

Regards

Sam
  2. gcalex

gcalex New Member

I am copying something from an article by Dr. Paul Cheney which deals with some of the more sophisticated CFS testing. I assume in additon to what he says, or even before, you would want to have all the basics like a CBC, thyroid panel, basic chemistry panel, sed rate, etc. etc. Anyhow, here is what Cheney writes: "A lot of the tests we order are really tests to prove that you have some of this pathophysiology. Do you have elevated RNase-L? Do you have elevated EBV, CMV, HHV-6, HHV-7, Mycoplasma, Chlamydia pneumoniae titers by Taqman assays? Do you have a coagulopathy? Do you have excess soluble fibrin monomer? Do you have TH2 activation and TH1 suppression? Do you show toxins in your urine that correlate with gut-derived xenobiotic toxins? Is your stool loaded with mercury? How do you respond to chlorella in advancing doses, which is a measure of heavy metal toxicity. We measure growth hormone. We measure it by two methods now. We measure exercise growth hormone increase. If you're normal, it should rise at least to ten nanograms, and most of our patients don't even get above one nanogram. We even do ITT tests, insulin tolerance tests. [An insulin tolerance test involves injecting insulin and measuring the effects; it is used to measure growth hormone, cortisol, and ACTH, adrenocorticotropic hormone, which stimulates the production of cortisol.] We do arginine challenge tests [to measure growth hormone], and recently we now have a 24-hour urine test for growth hormone, and I think that and the exercise test are probably going to be our best tests for growth hormone. We measure cortisol response to exercise. So basically we do enough testing to make sure that you fit the model of this disease."
  3. samjenkin

samjenkin New Member

I really appreciate the support.

Regards

Sam

[ advertisement ]