Testing software for work & it hurts my eyes. Ideas?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by LJ, Aug 19, 2003.

1. LJ

LJ New Member

I am testing a new software program for the company that I work for and it really hurts my eyes. I work on several other program and none of them have hurt like this. As far as I know no one else has complained about it hurting their eyes.

I'm trying to figure out if this is a FMS thing. I did have my eyes checked to rule that out.

There are a few screens I have problems with.The first has alternating green and white lines that consist of 2 lines each. The top line has all caps and the bottom line is lower case. Bold black numbers on the right side of the screen and bold green numbers on the left side.

Another screen is mostly white but has light gray horizontal lines and bold black verticle lines. The other screens are kind of a combination of those two but with a lot more colors.

Any ideas you have about why this would be hard to look at would be appreciated. I have been told that they won't make any changes until users complain. I just can't imagine that I will be the only person in a nationwide company that has problems with this.

Thank You for your help,

LJ
  2. IgotYou

IgotYou New Member

My first reaction was also that you should try eye drops, though you haven't had trouble with the other screens. The colors themselves shouldn't be a problem, as they are some of the easiest color combinations for the human eye to read (that's why highway signs are green with white letters). I'm wondering if there's some sort of pulsing going on with the screen that you can't consciously discern. I know if you look through a digital camera at a computer screen you can really see the pulsing - it's hard to take a photo of the screen and get the entire image to show up at once. Are the fonts used on the screen typical fonts, or are they harder to read? How is the contrast? How large are the letters? Maybe your eye is reacting to the patterns of light and dark bands across the screen - similar to the kind of reaction people get to checkerboard patterns that appear to move because your eye goes a little crazy adjusting between light and dark on the same surface. If the contrast between bands across the screen is too great, and they are too close together, it could wear out your eyes - and because people with FM have a harder time adjusting to sudden extremes of anything, including light and dark, it could be more difficult for your eyes than for most people's to handle the extremes in shading on one small illuminated screen.
  3. LJ

LJ New Member

After I posted this message the work computers got hit with a couple viruses so the rest of the week was totally crazy. I will definatly look at it through a digital camera and get a glare screen. I am on vacation all next week so when I get back I will try that.

Thanks again,

LJ

[ advertisement ]