Tests for CFS?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Alary, Dec 3, 2005.

1. Alary

Alary Member

Hi, I ususally post on the Arthritis board as I have RA. I hope someone here can help. My son is 18, had mononucleosis in high school, supposedly two years in a row according to his doctor.
    Even now in college he complains of tiredness and feeling like he fights off colds and flu. What tests can I ask his doctor to do?
    Thanks Also, what other symptoms should I look for?
  2. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

http://www.cfsresearch.org/cfs/cheney/index.htm

Lots of text, but worth the read about CFS. Good luck.

Lena
  3. dononagin

dononagin New Member

with a really bad bout with Mono as well.. For me it was a process of elimination.. they tested me for cancer, aids, lyme disease, lupus.. you name it.. when they couldn't figure it out the said CFS..
    My first symptoms for CFS were besides being so exhausted I could barely lift my head, low fevers, swollen lymph nodes, sore throats, aching muscles, weakness.. Good luck to you..
  4. KelB

KelB New Member

There aren't any tests they can do to prove CFS at the moment. What they do is run through a battery of tests to rule out other conditions that have the same symptoms. If your son comes up clear for things like Lupus, Lyme, MS, anaemia etc, then they'll call it CFS if they've ruled out everything else.

The least you should expect is a battery of blood tests and an MRI scan.

Don't worry about the severity of some of the things they'll test for - it really is just precautionary.
  5. Alary

Alary Member

for your help. he'll be home from college in two weeks and if he's not feeling great I'll insist on going for tests. At least now we won't be scared when they start eliminating deathly illnesses.