Tests Results MCD56 and other's need advice

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by getfitat40, May 25, 2006.

1. getfitat40

getfitat40 New Member

Mary are you out there - I know you haven't posted lately and I am a bit worried...check in when you can.

I am starting to get frustrated with my results. Since last September my WBC, SED rate, and C-Reactive Protein tests have been very high. I am very lucky that my doctor's motto is that he treats patients, not numbers and I am actually feeling ok. I started on Humira to see if it would help with the inflammation but they are still high
    SED Rate 42 - normal 0-20
    CRP 64.5 - normal 0-5
    WBC - 16.2 - normal is 4-10.5
    ***Neutrophils 11.8 - 1.8-7.8 normal**** part of WBC and points to viral infection or immune dysfunction (thx Mary!)

My blood work this month (he does labs every month) also indicate something is going on with my RBC too - the actual RBC is normal, but my Hemoglobin and MCH are low and my Plateletes and RDW are high. None of these are extremly high but since all 4 are related to the Red Blood Count I wonder if the high WBC is connected. I really don't understand the RBC - so I am hopeing someone can help put my mind at ease. I don't see my doc until June 6.

Any help anyone can give I appreciate it...Nancy
  2. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

All of your data points to inflammation and/or infection of some sort. Low Hemoglobin and MCH can be iron-deficiency or not enough RBC's being produced - but your RBC is normal. However individual elements being abnormal - makes me wonder if something else going on?

There is a group of blood diseases called myeloproliferative disorder - abnormal growth of blood cell elements.

Here is a link to some information:
    http://labtestsonline.org/understanding/conditions/myelopro_disorders.html

The other issue I thought of is that some of your medications may be causing weird fluctuations - you should look up the full prescribing information for your meds and see if blood disorders are listed as potential side effects.

Hope this helps,
    Hugs,
    Madame Curie
  3. getfitat40

getfitat40 New Member

Thanks for the reply and information. I am on alot of meds and while I checked for interactions and side affects, I don't remember looking for blood disorders...so I will definitely check that out.

I was talking to our nurse at work and she suggested a infectious disease doctor. I know a lot of people on the board see one and I am going to try it. It is like the chicken and the egg - is it the inflammation causing the WBC and RBC abnormalities or the other way around - an infection causing the inflammation. I will also check out the blood disorder link. Thanks again...Nancy

4. getfitat40

getfitat40 New Member

I am so glad to hear from you and that things are going so well for you! Congratulations to the graduate! My nephew graduates in 2 weeks and then he is off to Michigan - which for him is only about 1/2 hour drive.

I have been feeling pretty darn good myself. I don't have the unending fatigue that required a nap 2-3 times a week or to sleep away Saturday. Pain wise - when I am not falling or hurting my back moving furniture - is much lower. So I am feeling better - I don't have the cognitive problems either. I go to the doc's on Tuesday and will find out more from him.

Take care!