Texas Foundation Fighting for the Rights of Pain Patients..This is national exposure for all of us!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by crystal72, Jul 15, 2003.

1. crystal72

crystal72 New Member

I hope it's OK to tell about a National Pain Awareness Campaign that has been started by the National Foundation for the Treatment of Pain. It is a national foundation whose executive director is a doctor in Houston, TX....Dr. Joel Hochman. The foundation is a non-profit organization dedicated to providing support for patients who are suffering from chronic intractable pain, their families and friends and the physicians who treat them.

The website can be looked up under the name of the foundation which is the "National Foundation for the Treatment of Pain. Joining this campaign will provide you with a lapel pin. The foundation has been in existence for over two years and is a nationwide organization.

The foundation can also be a reliable contact for those patients unable to find a doctor in their area willing to treat those with chronic pain.

According to the statistics as many as 50 million Americans suffer pain. About 15 million suffer chronic and intractable pain that is severe enough to be disabling. As many as 75% of even cancer pain patients receive grossly inadequate pain relief. Because of this, the suicide rate among patients is almost 20 times that of all others. The main causes of inadequate pain care in the United States are "opiophobia" and physician fear of prosecution. One out of ever 1400 doctors in the United States gets prosecuted for prescribing pain medications causing the daily decrease of doctors willing to treat pain for fear of prosecution.

The foundation has the ear of some congressmen and is an advocate to help pain patients receive adequate care. It is also dedicated to trying to bring the plite of the pain patient and doctor-victims to national attention. There is a bill before Congress today to address the problems chronic pain patients have in getting recognition and treatment. The Executive Director is in contact almost daily with those "in the know" about our problems and posts information about the government's progress in this area in great detail.

If we want help to make someone in Congress hear us, this is a viable way to go, but support is needed by your voice if not your funds. The organization is non-profit and to become a member and lend your voice only requires that you sign on as a member. The full explanation of membership is on the website and is easily found. We are all trying to make ourselves heard and some are still desperately searching for doctors willing to treat those with chronic pain. The NFTP is there not only for the purpose of helping us, but to help physicians to not be afraid to treat us.

I am only a patient of this doctor and a member of the foundation. But we need national recognition and this may be one way to accomplish it.

If you need any more information please let me know. I will be happy to give you my email address to be more able to help.

LOL
    Crystal
    [This Message was Edited on 07/16/2003]
    [This Message was Edited on 07/18/2003]
    [This Message was Edited on 07/18/2003]
  2. franners

franners New Member

That is marvelous info............ I am going to look them up now..
  3. crystal72

crystal72 New Member

4. crystal72

crystal72 New Member

5. crystal72

crystal72 New Member

6. bamboo

bamboo New Member

i'm going to look them up. thank you for providing the information.
    julia
  7. crystal72

crystal72 New Member

8. crystal72

crystal72 New Member

9. crystal72

crystal72 New Member

Bump once more for those who really need help.
  10. crystal72

crystal72 New Member

11. crystal72

crystal72 New Member

12. crystal72

crystal72 New Member