Texas governor orders STD vaccine for all girls

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by elliespad, Feb 2, 2007.

1. elliespad

elliespad Member

I am SO OUTRAGED I am about spitting bullets. Lawmakers who benefit from vaccine mandates, CLEARLY do not have the publics best interest in mind.

Perry tied to Merck
    Perry has ties to Merck and Women in Government. One of the drug company’s three lobbyists in Texas is Mike Toomey, Perry’s former chief of staff. His current chief of staff’s mother-in-law, Texas Republican state Rep. Dianne White Delisi, is a state director for Women in Government.

The governor also received $6,000 from Merck’s political action committee during his re-election campaign.

2. shar6710

shar6710 New Member

Can the governor actually do that? I would think at the very least the legislature would have to be involved.

I saw in the paper here that Merck has contributed to a women's advocacy group ( I'll try to find the name) who lobbies in DC to try to get the vaccine added to the mandatory vaccines for school girls ages 10-12.

I do not have a problem with vaccines (I think you and I differ on that). However this is NOT a public health issue it is a private issue to be decided by parents. IMHO the government has no right to mandate a vaccine for a virus that is not casually transmitted.

3. elliespad

elliespad Member

Bypassing the Legislature altogether, Republican Gov. Rick Perry issued an order Friday making Texas the first state to require that schoolgirls get vaccinated against the sexually transmitted virus that causes cervical cancer.

By employing an executive order, Perry sidestepped opposition in the Legislature from conservatives and parents’ rights groups who fear such a requirement would condone premarital sex and interfere with the way Texans raise their children.

4. joyfully

joyfully New Member

You don't have to get the vaccine. If a parent doesn't want their daughter to get the vaccine, then the child doesn't get the vaccine. Period. No one is being forced to get the vaccine. I live in Texas too.

I heard on the news tonight that you can deline the vaccine either by declaring relgious reasons or philosophical reasons.

I'm big on vaccines for contagious diseases, but, this is not a contagious disease, and in this case, the decision to take this vaccine should be made on an individual basis by the child's parents..not Uncle Sam!

6. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

What about the death and immune problems, that vaccinations cause? I do not believe vaccinations are safe, after reading several different books about them.

And no one can say they are not the cause of many of the autoimmune diseases we see to day. Not enough real reseach done.

Autism has more than doubleed in recent years, and the number of vaccinations continue to climb.

When we were young we received very few, poli, DPT/Tenus whopping cough can't remember them all.

Now if your child received every recommended vaccination they would receive about 33 shots by the time they were two or three. That's toxic garbage, foreign proteins directly into the blood stream of growing developing children.

I think we are playing a dangerous game with our children. And what if you find out sometime in the future that your adult child would have lead a healthy normal life, accept for some mandatory vacc. the government required. Sounds like a law suit to me!

Thats why it should be a choose, people believe different things about the actual safety and protection vaccinations really provide.

Just one more opinion.

[This Message was Edited on 02/03/2007]
  7. justjanelle

justjanelle New Member

is the price of the vaccinations.

This vaccination is actually a 3-shot series over 6 months. My daughter had the first of the 3 recently. Her doctor revealed that the cost of the shots is $200 each (times 3) and that at present many medical insurance plans do not cover it.

Now, how many families out there just could not afford this kind of bill? If the government says it's required but you don't have the money who's going to pick up the tab? Mr. Perry? I doubt it.

I do believe this is an important medical advance, and as I've said my daughter has already started the series of shots, but I think it should be voluntary. And that there should be adequate systems in place to pay for the vaccinations of those who can't afford it.

Just my 2cents.

Best wishes,
  8. joyfully

joyfully New Member

You don't have to get the vaccine. Your parents can say no.

I think there are so many levels to this one. First, I think alot of parents feel it is nobody's business.

I think they also feel that "THEIR DAUGHTER" wouldn't be having sex.

Is the Governor misguided? Probably. Is he actually trying to help? probably.

Any parent who is sitting by the bedside of a child dying with cancer (or reassuring a child who has had to have surgery to remove cancer in their cervix) would probably give anything to be able to turn back time and get their daughter the shot.

I don't have an answer.

I do remember when the Surgeon General, C. Everette Koop (sp?), came out with all kinds of information about AIDS and President Regan was not pleased at all about it. I think Dr. Koop saved lives and made us far more aware of AIDS. If nothing else comes out of this, we are all certainly more aware of the connection between cervical cancer and HPV.
  9. Callum

Callum New Member

I thought the point of having the vaccine at an early age is that it was most effective if given long before a woman becomes sexually active.

Remember when government first stepped into "public education"? All the parents who said thatthe government no right to interfer? If the parent thought it best for the family that their children not go to school and stay at home to help on the family farm, or go into the factories to earn a wage, who could say the parent didn't know what was best?

Now, today, who thinks the parents of that time knew what was best for the child?

But this is what I mean about not knowing enough about a certain situation. What are the ties to Merck and the Gov't? How much does Merck stand to gain? Will the government of Texas help subsidize for the uninsured?

What parent would tell their 11 year old child that "this vaccine is to prevent an STD?" Wouldn't they just tell them, "This is to help protect you from getting cervical cancer when you get older?"

No - parents do NOT always know what's best for the child. I had great parents, but they encouraged me to get a good base tan so I wouldn't burn as early as I could each summer. My mom thought that a fruit serving was a cherry poptart. My mom thought I should be in a "sterile" environment (or as close as her cleaning would allow), and because of that, I have terrible allergies today.

Parents can be loving, protective, and want what is best for the child - that doesn't make them infallible.

Of course, as we well know, the government is not infallible either...

A sticky issue, that's for sure.

10. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

The politics of it all, and the who's going to make money on it are all beyond me.

I just don't want my daughters to get cervical cancer.

Like Callum said, I'll be telling them "This is to help protect you from getting cervical cancer when you get older".

I feel this is in the best interest of my children.
  11. kirschbaum26

kirschbaum26 New Member

Just wanted to tell you that I read some stories on this issue and was shocked to see that TX was the first state to require this vaccine. I then read that one very good reason for the requirement is to FORCE insurance companies to pay for the vaccine. I believe it is a very expensive vaccine, over $300.00. I will be getting the vaccine, and will have my 7 year old daughter vaccined as well. ANY assistance that we can get with the war on cancer is a good thing.

I know that everyone might not agree, and I think that it is good that some people question government...but there is a benefit to this issue.

12. shar6710

shar6710 New Member

Good analogy with the gun.

I think the issue isn't really the vaccine but does the government have a right to mandate it. I think not. With measles, mumps etc there is an overriding public interest to contain these highly contagious diseases. But I don't think that is the case with the HPV vaccine.

I DO think its great that the vaccine has been developed and if parents want to give it to their children fine.

Callum brings up an interesting question regarding govt involvement in education. I'm going to play devil's advocate:

If thousands of kids weren't crammed into schools maybe the vaccines wouldn't be as necessary.

Considering the shape of our public education system and the money pit it is maybe those folks opposing it had the right idea.

In the rural area I live in there are a significant number of children being "home schooled". (I know some graduates of homeschooling and they are bright and intelligent young adults, one went on to be an EMT).

The federal government is now giving financial aid to young first time farmers because there is a shortage. Maybe if all those kids could have stayed on the farm the family farm would still be successful and now the government wouldn't have to spend more money re-establishing them.

All I'm really saying is that I think we are allowing the government to take too much control from us.

13. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

I live in the Austin area, and we just recently got this update. Looks like the debate continues in the legislature as well. Best wishes, Erika

Feb 5, 2007 6:05 pm US/Central

Senator Asks Perry To Rescind Vaccine Order

Jane Nelson plans to ask Attorney General for opinion on legality of Perry's order.

(CBS 42) AUSTIN A powerful ally of Governor Rick Perry wants him to rescind his order requiring girls to be vaccinated against the virus that causes cervical cancer.

Perry had issued an executive order Friday requiring girls to be vaccinated against the sexually transmitted HPV -- or human pappillomavirus.

But today, state Senator Jane Nelson said lawmakers should have been allowed to hear from doctors, scientists and patients before the state implemented such a sweeping mandate. Nelson chairs the state Senate's health and human services committee.

In the Flower Mound Republican's words, "This is not an emergency. It needs to be discussed and debated."

The Legislature has no authority to repeal Perry's executive order, but Nelson says she plans to ask state Attorney General Greg Abbott for an opinion on the legality of Perry's order. Abbott, like Nelson and Perry, is a Republican.

Perry's order would make Texas the first state in the nation to mandate HPV vaccinations for girls.

Perry released this statement Monday:

“Never before have we had an opportunity to prevent cancer with a simple vaccine. While I understand the concerns expressed by some, I stand firmly on the side of protecting life. The HPV vaccine does not promote sex, it protects women’s health. In the past, young women who have abstained from sex until marriage have contracted HPV from their husbands and faced the difficult task of defeating cervical cancer. This vaccine prevents that from happening.

“Providing the HPV vaccine doesn’t promote sexual promiscuity anymore than providing the Hepatitis B vaccine promotes drug use. If the medical community developed a vaccine for lung cancer, would the same critics oppose it claiming it would encourage smoking?

“Finally, parents need to know that they have the final decision about whether or not their daughter is vaccinated. I am a strong believer in protecting parental rights, which is why this executive order allows them to opt out.”

Some conservatives have said they fear that the requirement that girls get the vaccine would condone premarital sex.

(© 2007 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report. )
  14. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

All the big brother, legal stuff aside, something that seems to be ignored is that human papilloma viruses can cause ugly warts on genitals of both men and women.
    Like, seems like that the young men should be considered in same situation as young women, especially because most women catch it from men.
    Also, it is often symtomless so a husband can give HPV to wife and vice versa.
    I find myself speculating if HPV can be causing other cancers than just genital or cervical.

Umm, sometimes can be passed from mother to her baby.
    On rare occasions, HPV can cause warts on tongue.

My local sheriff's dept gives away free gunlocks.

[This Message was Edited on 02/05/2007]
  15. elliespad

elliespad Member

My initial disgust was at the audasity of the Texas governer to bypass the Legislature AND that he has ties to Merck and Women in Government. (Both financial and personal) I didn't even voice my opinion on the safety, effectiveness, or moral implications of the vaccine, or any vaccine for that matter. But, to say that I am against ALL vaccines being mandated by law, would be accurate.

I have read and listened to a LOT of information on vaccines. The following link gives a POWERFUL presentation of statistics surrounding vaccine dogma. This video takes 1 1/2 hours to view, but will challenge even the MOST ardent vaccine supporters' beliefs. This would be a GREAT video to have YOUR PEDIATRICIAN watch, or public health official. (Or yourself)

[This Message was Edited on 02/06/2007]
  16. SweetT

SweetT New Member

Yes, girls have sex, no matter what their religion. And even if girls wait until marriage, they could still get HPV from their husbands. But at the same time, I don't trust vaccines. I think that my oldest daughter along with many within 1 year of her age aren't quite 'right' because of tainted immunizations when she was a baby. So I don't really trust immunizations anymore.