TH1 and grapeseed extract (GSE)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by roge, May 1, 2007.

1. roge

roge Member

After a few people ranting and raving about the benefits they have received from GSE, I thought I would start 100mg of grapeseed myself about a month ago along with some other new supplements from prohealth , too early to conclude anything for myself but when I was doing some research on GSE, I came across this study which essentially shows GSE increases TH1 activity and is also an immune modulator which I was unaware of.

I know many here have been looking for ways to increase TH1 and I myself want to know the 6 products Dr. Cheney referes to that increase TH1, as this has been asked a few times here, yet no response so far. I also see GSE is antallergic, antiviral, anti tumor, and other properties I can't remember right now. That could explain how it has helped some here with sinus problems especially if it is antallergic.

I am looking forward to getting my metabolic testing results back ( organic acids, amino acids, antioxidants and oxidative stress)- had the tests done beofore I started the GSE so I am looking forward to see my antioxidant results and of course other panels too. For thos who don't know, GSE is a very powerful antioxidant.

Anyway, here is the study if anyone cares to look at it. I just skimmed it briefly myself so I don't know how good or scientific the study is.

http://cvi.asm.org/cgi/content/full/9/2/470

peace
  2. roge

roge Member

I rememebrdd, anti inflamatory effects as well, and why that might help how it has helped some here with sinus problems as well (ie. sinusitis - which is inflamed sinuses due to either bacterial, viral, allergic or autoimmune).

peace
  3. mossrose101

mossrose101 New Member

Thanks for the post Roge. I have had sinusitis for most of my life. I was planning on getting some supplements and that was one of them. Good to know it will help the sinuses too!

Thanks again
  4. Daisys

Daisys Member

The 6 products that Cheney mentioned is in this article.

http://www.immunesupport.com/library/showarticle.cfm/id/2925

If I remember correctly, it's on page 3 of the thread Swedeboy started about doxycycline, post by Delia. But if I go back to check, I may lose this post. (Fibro fog, you know.)
    ---
    I just checked: it was posted by Emptytovoid.

[This Message was Edited on 05/01/2007]
  5. roge

roge Member

heh mossrose - ya i have had sinus issues for 13 years and I really hope the GSE and other things I am doing can help. I Hope it helps your sinuses.

jam - you are definitely the GSE guru around here!

daisy - thx! i actually remmeber reading that article by cheney on TH1 and 2 around 8 mths ago....did not know heparin was an immune modulator, thought was just anticoagulant...interesting about the TF's...have not gone that route yet, but considering...

also, good to see pine bark extract is listed as one of the 6 cause it is very similar to GSE....both powerful antioxidants...

peace
  6. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

I had lapsed and didn't take the grapeseed extract. I am back on it, taking 100 daily. I have read that some people start out at 400, but do you guys think that is safe?

Right now, I am afraid of supplements, because much of the production occurs in China and the far east, AND THOSE PEOPLE ARE NOT TO BE TRUSTED. WHEN THEY AREN'T NEGLIGENT, THEN THEY POISON THINGS ON PURPOSE, I.E. THE DOG FOOD, AND THEY HAVE PROBABLY BEEN DOING THAT FOR A LONG, LONG TIME AND WE WOULDN'T HAVE KNOWN IT, UNTIL SOME OF IT HAD ANOTHER CHEMICAL IN IT, REACTED WITH THE MELANIME, AND CAUSED CRYSTALS.

My son worked in China for a major world-wide company and he says it is like the wild, wild west with corruption, filth, and the companies are willing to break every rule and reg and think nothing of causing deaths. Not that it sounds all that different from our companies. Anything for money.

7. roge

roge Member

I have no idea if 400 mg is safe, My intuition says I would be careful with that dose long term (ie. a year) but for a 1-2 mths to saturate the tissues , i think would be ok and then would use 200 or less for maintenance dose myself.

I hear you about the Chinese made things, but just make sure you get your supplements from a trusted and well respected company, ie. Prohealth. I am correct in assuming Prohealth manufacturers all their supplements in the USA right?

peace
  8. roge

roge Member

sorry about the 6 posts....computer problems....
  9. Daisys

Daisys Member

Hey, I think all you have to do is hit delete on some of those repeats and they'll go away.
  10. roge

roge Member

yes , delete of course!!

thx!

by the way , I came across through some research some other TH1 stimulators:

- cat claw herb
    - glutathione
    - zinc
    - shitake mushrrom
    - vit c
    - phystosterols

and these are some modulators of Th1 and Th2

- astragalus herb
    - bromelain
    - probiotics
    - reiishi mushroom

11. Daisys

Daisys Member

Appreciate the info--I'm taking some of those, from both lists. Hopefully enough to make a difference.