Thallium Stress Test

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ggks, Oct 7, 2005.

1. ggks

ggks New Member

Has anyone ever had a thallium stress test? It is sometimes called a Nuclear Stress Test. A thallium stress test is an exercise stress test that is performed in the nuclear scanning section of the rediology department. It uses the same principles as the exercise stress test but provides significantly more information.

Is this test safe? I don't know enough about it to know if I should be scared or not.
    ggks
  2. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

I've had this test done on 2 different occasions. It incorporates the exercise test with nuclear scanning.
    They put in an IV and inject the nuclear agent. Then you do the exercise test for as long as you can. The scanning in my case was all done after the ex. test. The scanner is open and it just scans up and down the upper part of your body while you are lying flat. The only frustration is that you have to wait 4 hours and then they do a second scan.You can go and walk around or something in between.The IV is out by then.
    I believe there are some variations on when they do the scans.

I hope this is helpful. If you have more questions just ask!

Kathy.
  3. FM58

FM58 New Member

I had this done last Jan when I was hospitalized with chest pain. My PCP told the cardiologist that I would be unable to do the exercise part of the test due to my FMS/CFIDS. She told him it would greatly fatigue my body for days, making me unable to function.

First they do s scan of your heart with a special machine - it's almost like a CTscan for the heart. Then they give you an injection of the radioactive medicine. This takes some time to get through your body, you are encouraged to drink water & urinate after the injection.

After an hour (or is it two?) you are brought back- the cardiologist is there & then you are administered an IV of another med, slowly- this one speeds up your heart, as if you are exercising. The doc is constantly asking you questions about how you are feeling. You are hooked up to a heart moniter & BP cuff. They will stop if you feel nauseous. At the peak, they do a EKG.

When that is done, they repeat the heart scan - now the nuclear med is in your body so I guess this is the best time to "read" the heart scan?

The whole thing is no big deal at all, very easy. My only problem was I had a frozen shoulder & couldn't lift my arm high enough for the heart scan machine. The tech didn't understand what I was saying (language barrier-ugh!)so, I was uncomfortable with that.

Are you having this due to the inability to exercise? I hope all goes well for you. Post back & let us know how you do.

Gentle Hugs,
    Patty

4. JLH

JLH New Member

I've had the thallium stress test many times years ago.
    It's nothing to be scared about. The others already gave you all the info.

However, the last 2 times, I have had what they call an adenosene stress test - it's strictly a chemical stress test - no physical exercise involved at all. Your heart is chemically induced to speed up and then to slow back down, etc. I can not physically undergo the regular stress tests any longer.

The kind that I just had are safe, too. The cardiologist is standing right there just in case something happens!!

Janet