Thank Goodness for smoke alarms

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by hugs4evry1, Jan 24, 2007.

1. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Because I did something really stupid today....

I needed a bath so I could shave my legs, needed to badly because I've been too sick and dizzy to do it in the shower.

Bathtub is on my daughter's level of the house and of course there's always an incredible mess for me to attend to whenever I finally make it up there.

So I took my bath, with candles lit, then continued on my way with gathering things up and cleaning a bit before I went downstairs.

Had blood sugar problems as always lately so I went up to bed and took a nap.

While I was making my lunch, the smoke alarms went off so I rushed upstairs to see what was wrong. I could smell the smoke while I was up there, but yet still groggy and not feeling well at all.

I went into the bathroom, found the burning candles which had caught the candle rings, candle holders on fire and swept them into the bathtub and poored running water all over them to put it out.

Yikes.....I still can't believe I did that. I'm the only one home for most of the week. Daughter's at a friend's house, hubby is in the states and I'm just too exhausted I guess.

I still haven't cleaned up the mess of black on the wall, candle wax wherever it spilled as I tossed things into the tub, just too tired and still can't believe I did that.

So folks....please if you don't change the batteries in your smoke detectors twice a year at daylight savings time, do it for me today.

Nancy B
  2. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Wouldn't worry about the mess,that can wait,just glad that you're safe .I'm really glad that the smoke detectors were working & that's good advice about getting them checked,must take a note of that.
    Funny thing is I was at hospital yesterday morning for a check-up & I swear I nearly jumped out my seat,one of their smoke alarms went off about 10am but the nurse explained to me that the technicians were testing the hospital's smoke alarms & I think had to do this every so often to comply with Health & Safety reg's.Well this went on for about 1 hour with the alarms blasting for about 4/5 secs as apparently the techs have to go round each & every individual smoke alarm & put some smoke into them to ensure they're all working.Now here's me sitting waiting on my appointment cursing each time the alarms went off but it has just hit home to me when I read your story that these thing are vitally important to us.
    Thanks for letting us know,just glad your ok,& try not to stress about it too much.
    Best Wishes,Paul
  3. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I am going to leave the mess, just don't have the extra strength right now.

I imagine the sound of all of those smoke alarms would have driven me nuts, but you're right of course, they are so vitally important to us.

I just never thought I'd do something so careless....

Nancy B
  4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

is you're ok, Nancy. As for the rest, machts nicht.

It's easy for us to do goofy stuff when we're exhausted, foggy, whatever.

Candle light is so romantic. But, like romance, sometimes dangerous. I think Mark Twain or Dolly Parton or somebody said that. Haha
  5. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

no more candles till your husband gets home!
  6. boltchik

boltchik New Member

Oh my gosh, so glad the alarms went off! I am so glad that you are okay. Good thing you make sure yours are in working order. Very important! Take good care of yourself. Kim :)
    [This Message was Edited on 01/25/2007]
  7. gnanny

gnanny New Member

I am glad you had a working smoke alarm.

Take care
  8. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

And more candles until after hubby gets home!

The most wonderful thing was that had I been still napping, I'm not sure I would have heard the alarm on my daughter's side of the house.

So many lucky and blessed moments in life, this was certainly one of mine.

Hugs all,

Nancy B
  9. sisland

sisland New Member

I'm glad your safe my Dear! i'm a candle lover too and have to watch it! Thanks for the smoke alarm batteries alert! Have to check them!,,,,,,,,,,,,,Hugs!,,,,,,,S P.S. I'm Glad Your O.K. again!
  10. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I haven't laughed that hard all week!!!!!!!! Still laughing.....

Nancy B
  11. kriket

kriket New Member

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one that nearly burned the house down in the last few days!!!!!!!! I am terrible about nodding off to sleep and leaving candles burning. It's a wonder that I have not burned the house already. It's easy to forget things like candles burning. You had an angel watching over you as they fell into the tub and the water put them out. Glad you are ok and did not burn the house down.