Thank Goodness My Symptoms Have a Name!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by canders5, Jan 3, 2006.

1. canders5

canders5 New Member

I have been researching for over 3 years all of the issues that I have. I now strongly believe I have Fibromyalgia although none of the doctors I have gone to have come up with anything - I just get treated for my individual issues.

My situation started with a couple of pain injuries in my mid-twenties. Along with mild scoliosis and a German gene pool of bad L5 spinal issues. Combined with all of this, I was "Wonder Mom" raising two children with a very stressful job in Information Technology in Silicon Valley working long hours, weekends, etc.

If I had known what I know today, I probably would not have had as many surgeries. (This is a whole other posting...)

My latest problem is Interstitial Cystitis. My OB GYN initially diagnosed this and then a Urologist confirmed it. Of course, they wanted to do a very expensive procedure. I declined and instead researched alternatives. I discovered that drinking the sugar sweetener "Aspartame" found in Diet Coke and Equal really exasperates the condition. I've completely cut these out of my diet - (I use Splenda now as a sweetener) and things have really improved. When I am tired or run down, it creeps back up though.

My latest pain is the significant pain in my feet. Not just the soles or arch...I'm talking the whole foot. Has anyone had this and any recommendations on what to do besides take drugs? I find I have to wear shoes all the time even in the house. Slippers don't cut it.

The other issue I have that I have not been able to find any reference to is the constant feeling of being wound "tight". I equate it to the "Fright and Flight" reaction that many prey animals have like horses, deer, etc. I am constantly pushing my shoulders in a down position to try to find relief.

So in summary, I have or have had every single symptom that is listed on this website and have managed to overcome many of them without taking drugs.

The most significant solution for me has been to incorporate Yoga (stretching/flexing) into my life twice a week for approximately 1 hour.

Thanks for virtually listening!

2. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

We're always glad to 'meet' new people here. It is a wonderful place full of caring people with lots of information.
    I'm sorry that you are having such health issues but we've all been there in one way or another. I hope you can spend some time here reading old posts and asking questions. I have learned so much.
    Yoga has helped me too.

Cheers
    Kathy.
  3. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Cander:
    You are simply amazing for what you have been through
    (and what you still are).
    Hugs 2 you,
    NyroFan