Thank Heaven for the Storm!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Starr913, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Starr913

Starr913 New Member

How do weather changes affect you?

After 2 weeks of constant, REALLY intense pain, yesterday the pain began to ease up slightly and today it's MUCH better! Not gone, but much better! I'm wondering if it's because, instead of the stifling HEAT we've been experiencing here in Oklahoma, today it's 15-20 degrees cooler and we're having mild thunderstorms. ?????

I have NO tolerance for high temperatures. I love to go swimming, but I DO NOT like summer! It's WAAAAAAAAAYYY too hot here in summer. I get heat exhaustion at the drop of a hat, and I HATE to sweat! I hate humidity with the heat, too, but rain and storms don't bother me at all as long as it's COOL outside (mid 70's or less). That's what's going on here today and I'm loving it! I don't really know for sure if the weather is responsible for my current pain level, but it does seem very coincidental, and I have read that extreme temps often increase pain levels in fibros.

Cold temps don't increase my pain, but they do increase stiffness for me. And I get cold much easier than the rest of my family. They think I'm crazy when it's 65 degrees, they're happy as can be and I'm COLD! No big deal, though. I'd rather be stiff and cold than hot and HURTING!

So how do temperatures and humidity levels affect your symptoms?
  2. chloe_s_mom

chloe_s_mom New Member

Hi there,

Very interesting to read about your experience. I've said all along that I love heat (we get high humidity too though), am okay with the cold (awful weather in the winter), I just don't do well with stormy/changing/damp/wet weather. That being said, I'm not sure that I have much of a reduction in pain in my prefered weather! Now that I think about it, I might simply enjoy or feel happier in the nice weather....hmmm, I'll have to pay more attention and maybe journal to see if there is a correlation for me.

For pain associated with my accident, I tended to prefer ice/cold on the affected areas. Now, with fibro, I gravitate towards heat (even high heat) to interupt and allieviate pain. Though nothing like ice cold water for aching hands and feet.....ah...soothing!

Thanks for sharing your observations!
  3. JewelRA

JewelRA New Member

I find that I am unable to tolerate any extremes in temperature any more. Either very cold or very hot. Unfortunately, living in Alabama, we seem to always have one or the other! We have very precious few days of mild, 70-something nice weather. I try to REALLY appreciate those days!

Right now, we are going on several weeks or 90's and 100's temps, and I don't even think about venturing outside until 6pm or later. UNLESS, I am at the pool with my kids. I love to swim too, and the relief of the water makes the heat bearable.
  4. hagardreams

hagardreams New Member

I saw your post on the weather, and read that you were also in Oklahoma. I live in Moore, and am enjoying the cooler temps tonight. (I should say this morning). I cant sleep, so I have been awake all night.

Yes its been too hot. I was beginning to believe that someone left the screen door to HE*L open, and all that heat was coming our way!

I have so much more pain with the extreme heat, and cold. I do so much better in the spring and fall! (I sometimes wish that I could move to a better climate.) I havent been going out much in this heat, even in the late evening its hard to go sit on the porch swing and enjoy it these days.

Sure wish we could get more rain here. Its too dry, and I cant get out to water. Even keeping my self cooled off with the water doesnt help.

Hang in there, I feel your pain!
  5. hurrycane

hurrycane New Member

i'm new to board and read your saga trying to find a new doc....wondering if you've been successful--i am going to find one after my fm doc retired and the replacement sucks.