Thank You

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by NOTNUTS, Nov 17, 2002.

1. NOTNUTS

NOTNUTS New Member

Hi All

I feel very welcome and not alone. Sometimes I truly believe everyone thinks I am a hypercondreact (can't spell) you know what I mean. My neck feels better, not 100% but better then the other day, I do think I just over did it that day. I read everyones post wrote down all your recomondatations (because you know I can't remember them) and will call my doctor tomorrow.
    Today I have the hand tingling thing going on and the middle of my shoulder blade burning thing ,each and every day is something new and we never know what is going to be next.
    I wonder if I should stay with my neuro or go to a doctor I found who is on the leading edge of FM. Well, I just answered my own question. I think I am just babbling, I am calling the new doc tomorrow. Let you know how long it will take my to get a appt. Thanks for listing, my fibro friends :).
  2. NOTNUTS

NOTNUTS New Member

Hi All

I feel very welcome and not alone. Sometimes I truly believe everyone thinks I am a hypercondreact (can't spell) you know what I mean. My neck feels better, not 100% but better then the other day, I do think I just over did it that day. I read everyones post wrote down all your recomondatations (because you know I can't remember them) and will call my doctor tomorrow.
    Today I have the hand tingling thing going on and the middle of my shoulder blade burning thing ,each and every day is something new and we never know what is going to be next.
    I wonder if I should stay with my neuro or go to a doctor I found who is on the leading edge of FM. Well, I just answered my own question. I think I am just babbling, I am calling the new doc tomorrow. Let you know how long it will take my to get a appt. Thanks for listing, my fibro friends :).
  3. Rozmund

Rozmund New Member

Good luck with your meeting with your new doctor - be sure to ask him for any written literature he has on FM - in the meantime I just so highly recommend this book - Fibromyalgia & Chronic Myofascial Pain - A Survival Manual Second Edition - not only do the authors Devn Starlanyl and Mary Ellen Copeland who both suffer as we do give you detailed descriptions and drawings of what is happening in all areas of the body but they also offer insights and coping methods - this is not a static disorder - it hits the body in different places, or many places at once - you must pace yourself - you will come in time to reeducated yourself in what activities can be maintained, modified or simply put on the back burner until you are better.....knowledge is power - do not be without power when meeting with the medical profession - you will gain their respect when they learn that you are a partner with them in your treatment. Cheers
  4. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

I found a great FM doc--and left all those others behind! Best decision I ever made.
    Another great book is "From Fatigued to Fantastic", revised and updated by Jacob Teitelbaum, M.D.
    Great Fibro and Chronic Fatique info.
    Give us an update on that new Doc :)
    Karen
  5. pam_d

pam_d New Member

Another good book to recommend (Karen & Rozmund gave excellent suggestions) is also Devin Starlanyl's "Fibromyalgia Advocate" --while the "Survival Manual" is excellent, this goes beyond that by telling you how to deal with everyone you interface with: friends, relatives, boss, court system, other docs (detailed sections on how to deal with ER visits, neuros, rheumys, primary care doc, dentist, chiro, massage therapist, etc. & what all those health professionals should know about FM patients). I xeroxed off the "dentist" section for my dentist & he loved it, he had several FM patients & found it very helpful.

As far as doctors, my neuro was useless for FM, but useful in that she eliminated several other things (MS, parkinson's, lyme) that I'd been concerned about, given my particular set of symptoms (I, too, had tingling, burning, twitching, "toe tremors", etc). Others here have neuros they swear by who are FM-knowledgeable. But I'd say, if you've tracked down a doctor who is on the cutting edge of FM tx, run with it!!

Good luck to you & hope you get an appt. soon,
    Pam