Thanks for responding to my fibrofog at work question

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by EllenComstock, Oct 31, 2002.

1. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Hi, Everyone:

Just wanted to thank everyone who responded to my question of how to handle fibrofog at work. I thought it was interesting that several of you mentioned cutting or eliminating sugar from your diet. I have been eating more sugar lately (Halloween candy). And, Mikie, I do try to drink water during the day, but I'm sure not enough. I will try to drink more. I have been trying to drink more water versus soft drinks. I also exercise, take B,C,E,A,D, iron, magnesium, calcium and a multi vitamin everyday. I also try to eat well for the most part. And lavenderbutterfly, I think your attitude is great. I was just diagnosed with FM this summer, but maybe I should open up more to my co-workers and tell them what's wrong with me. Maybe not go into a lot of detail (unless they ask). I will be participating in a four-day research study later this month (the day after Thanksgiving through Tuesday morning). I guess I should be honest and tell them why I need that Monday and part of Tuesday off.

And maybe sometimes we are hard on ourselves. Maybe we actually do better than we realize and maybe people are not noticing anything strange about us when we think they are. Right now is an especially hard time for me. My mother just died on October 12 and I am executor of her estate. My father passed away almost five years ago. I am also guardian of my brother who is mentally ill and lives in a group home (which I found for him when my mother became too ill to live at home a year ago). So I have a lot on my plate right now. Fortunately, I have a great husband who is supportive. I do a lot of praying and telling myself to just take it day by day. I also have an older brother and sister, but unfortunately they have caused me a lot of grief and stress the past several years (long story). I just try to stay away from them as much as possible and try to surround myself with more positive people.

Sorry to ramble on, but I really appreciate everyone's help. I find this messageboard to be such a warm, comforting place to be. Thanks again.

Ellen
  2. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Hi, Everyone:

Just wanted to thank everyone who responded to my question of how to handle fibrofog at work. I thought it was interesting that several of you mentioned cutting or eliminating sugar from your diet. I have been eating more sugar lately (Halloween candy). And, Mikie, I do try to drink water during the day, but I'm sure not enough. I will try to drink more. I have been trying to drink more water versus soft drinks. I also exercise, take B,C,E,A,D, iron, magnesium, calcium and a multi vitamin everyday. I also try to eat well for the most part. And lavenderbutterfly, I think your attitude is great. I was just diagnosed with FM this summer, but maybe I should open up more to my co-workers and tell them what's wrong with me. Maybe not go into a lot of detail (unless they ask). I will be participating in a four-day research study later this month (the day after Thanksgiving through Tuesday morning). I guess I should be honest and tell them why I need that Monday and part of Tuesday off.

And maybe sometimes we are hard on ourselves. Maybe we actually do better than we realize and maybe people are not noticing anything strange about us when we think they are. Right now is an especially hard time for me. My mother just died on October 12 and I am executor of her estate. My father passed away almost five years ago. I am also guardian of my brother who is mentally ill and lives in a group home (which I found for him when my mother became too ill to live at home a year ago). So I have a lot on my plate right now. Fortunately, I have a great husband who is supportive. I do a lot of praying and telling myself to just take it day by day. I also have an older brother and sister, but unfortunately they have caused me a lot of grief and stress the past several years (long story). I just try to stay away from them as much as possible and try to surround myself with more positive people.

Sorry to ramble on, but I really appreciate everyone's help. I find this messageboard to be such a warm, comforting place to be. Thanks again.

Ellen
  3. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I'm sorry I didn't get to your original post, but I just wanted to say how sorry I am about your mother's recent death; it does sound like you have a lot on your plate. So hard to go through emotional losses when we struggle to just maintain our fragile selves with this illness.

I just wanted to echo what a couple of people said, regarding diet. I, too, swear I feel worse when I eat sugar, and I've recently been counting the ounces of water I drink (because if I don't actually count, I won't drink enough). I, too, fall prey to the sodas, so I'm really trying to guzzle water so much that I don't have room for soda! But I really believe I feel better drinking more water.

Good luck to you, and again, I'm sorry about the recent loss of your mother.

Hugs,
    Pam
  4. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Hi, Pam:

Thanks for your response and condolences for losing my mother. Right now I'm just taking it one day at a time-thanks for the hug!

Ellen