Thanks for the info on Effexor

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Gretchen12, Apr 4, 2006.

1. Gretchen12

Gretchen12 New Member

Thanks so very much to all of you who posted regarding Effexor. I am so very depressed & sick, but I am afraid to take this drug, or any anti-depressant. I really do not know how long I can stand this disease.
    Thanks again.
    Gretchen
  2. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

I don't know if i was one that responded or not. I do take it. Absolutely EVERYONE of the other antidepressants sent me up the wall!! But drs. tried to up the dose immediately. Mayo Clinic put me on it and said this is the last one!!!!

I began very slowly ---took several weeks before i added the second dose. i am on 100 mg. 2 times a day. I feel much better mentally but not exactly effecting the pain.

This helps you to bear it as you hunt for other Rxs.

Let me know what you do?

Gentle hugs,.

Joan
  3. futurehope

futurehope New Member

Please do not be afraid.

If you need an antidepressant to help you feel better than take it!!! Tons of people here take these drugs.

If you do not want the Effexor because of the withdrawls you might have if you go off of it, go back to the Doc and ask for a different one.

I take Effexor and it works well for me and my body chemistry.

But it is a bear to come off of, withdrawls.

But please, if you are depressed, you need something to help you, you have to give anti-depressants a try. And if you do not want it to be Effexor, get a different kind.

Hope this helps!!

Love and prayers,
    Brenda
  4. cathugs

cathugs New Member

I take 150mg of Effexor XR twice a day. It doesn' help the pain , but it keeps me from going insane. I couldn't deal with this constant pain without it.

(((cathugs))) Ruth
  5. starmom

starmom New Member

Has side effects, but so does depression!!

I think anyone with a chronic disease who does not have depression is crazy! this being said, depression is an imbalance in the brain chemistry. It will not "just pass" on its own. There are several classes of antidepressants to choose from. They may not help the pain, but finding hte right one will help the depression!

Taking care of yourself includes your mental health. You are worth it!!

susie
  6. Roseblossom

Roseblossom Member

Surely Effexor isn't your only option? I took Zoloft for several years on and off, and it really helped.

Every antidepressant seems to lose its efficacy for me after a couple years, so my former doctor put me on Effexor, which was a big mistake.

I've reduced my dose alot in the last year with my current doctor who is very supportive and despises Effexor.

Soon if I can find the stamina & resolve to suffer through those horrid withdrawl symptoms again, I'm going to get off Effexor forever and good riddance.

Zoloft didn't make me miserably ill like Effexor or Paxil do. I'll probably go back on Zoloft.

Having CFIDS or Fibromalgia is an ongoing education and experiment to find some relief.

I hope this board is some comfort and encouragement to you.

Wishing you peace,

Roseblossom
  7. Roseblossom

Roseblossom Member

Bump for Gretchen to see... :)
  8. Mirabelle

Mirabelle New Member

Having taken four different antidepressants (eventually stopped working or made me perspire copiously!) I found Cynbalta worked well. Then my insurance changed and the new company wouldn't pay for it...sent me back to previous meds and when side effects (meltdown again) and depression were too much, tried Effexor. It didn't help as much with the pain, and after writing letters detailing prior meds, insurance agreed to Cymbalta again. After only six weeks of Effexor I was a mess getting off, even gradually. Threw out an appliance that frustrated me, experienced mood swings that were totally unlike me, and understand now what steroid rage must be like. I tell the story to anyone who will listen - and threw the pills out as soon as I was able to switch back to Cymbalta.
  9. dancingstar

dancingstar New Member