Thanks for the Welcome

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Rozmund, Nov 11, 2002.

1. Rozmund

Rozmund New Member

Kathryn, Karen and Joellen - that you so much for the book titles - and I do agree that often we patients do know more about this malady than our doctors. In my case, I was not diagnosed correctly until I actually went to a Rheumatologist - and then of course the family doctor believes you after they hear from another in their ilk...but once that was accomplished, I was a candidate blessed by the medical profession to attend 16 Pain Management sessions at the hospital. Every session had a guest speaker, a Pharmacist, a Rheumatologist, a Physio-therapist, a Nutritionist, a Family Councillor, and also a Shrink...We learned how that even though we are in pain, we must use our muscles gently - must make a huge effort several times a day to breathe deeply. FM'ers due to our overall body discomfort often shallow breathe which does not deliver enough oxygen to our cels - which is life to these microscopic structures. We were told that warm baths (not hot) were best - swimming in a pool was good to move muscle as you are supported. Rearranging your home - (I got help on this one) is necessary - so no more stretching to that top shelf in the kitchen - I replaced all my heavy dishes and pots with lightweight Corelle - - learned that changing my pillow cases regularly was easier than doing the whole bed linen routine - learned the merits of "airing" - put my beautiful bedspread away until I could handle it again (this took over a year) ....made sure I had the best mineral/vitamin/calcium supplement possible - these I ended up purchasing from a sports gym - weight can be a problem - so I would switch to a protein drinks for awhile and cut down on carbs..this cuts down on the load your body has to carry.....individually these are all tiny baby steps, but they add up and one day you will actually wake up with a smile and say heh! this ain't so bad, there is worse....I can do this....come on world, HIT ME - I am fighting back. Of course, when we actually do get a bug it is worse than the kids, or spouse....because our immune systems are compromised every minute just handling the pain. I seem to bruise very easily - Page 76 in The Manual refers to the several possible reasons. So more investigating for me. Again thanks to each of you for listening to me. Keep the Journal open - jot down what works, what doesn't. Cheers.
  2. Rozmund

Rozmund New Member

Kathryn, Karen and Joellen - that you so much for the book titles - and I do agree that often we patients do know more about this malady than our doctors. In my case, I was not diagnosed correctly until I actually went to a Rheumatologist - and then of course the family doctor believes you after they hear from another in their ilk...but once that was accomplished, I was a candidate blessed by the medical profession to attend 16 Pain Management sessions at the hospital. Every session had a guest speaker, a Pharmacist, a Rheumatologist, a Physio-therapist, a Nutritionist, a Family Councillor, and also a Shrink...We learned how that even though we are in pain, we must use our muscles gently - must make a huge effort several times a day to breathe deeply. FM'ers due to our overall body discomfort often shallow breathe which does not deliver enough oxygen to our cels - which is life to these microscopic structures. We were told that warm baths (not hot) were best - swimming in a pool was good to move muscle as you are supported. Rearranging your home - (I got help on this one) is necessary - so no more stretching to that top shelf in the kitchen - I replaced all my heavy dishes and pots with lightweight Corelle - - learned that changing my pillow cases regularly was easier than doing the whole bed linen routine - learned the merits of "airing" - put my beautiful bedspread away until I could handle it again (this took over a year) ....made sure I had the best mineral/vitamin/calcium supplement possible - these I ended up purchasing from a sports gym - weight can be a problem - so I would switch to a protein drinks for awhile and cut down on carbs..this cuts down on the load your body has to carry.....individually these are all tiny baby steps, but they add up and one day you will actually wake up with a smile and say heh! this ain't so bad, there is worse....I can do this....come on world, HIT ME - I am fighting back. Of course, when we actually do get a bug it is worse than the kids, or spouse....because our immune systems are compromised every minute just handling the pain. I seem to bruise very easily - Page 76 in The Manual refers to the several possible reasons. So more investigating for me. Again thanks to each of you for listening to me. Keep the Journal open - jot down what works, what doesn't. Cheers.
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

You seem to have it down to a science! We also changed the kitchen to suit my needs, no streatching, or bending down now. We installed large drawers instead of cabinets under the counters, and dropped the over head cabinets, I use a 'claw' to reach the stuff on the top shelf, also put in a pantry for canned etc. foods, so I just walk in there instead of stooping, keep a footstool in the pantry for the upper shelves, and only put light items on top shelves. It worked out just fine.

We are going to do the utility room next, we are going to raise the dryer so that I don't have to bend down to get the clothes in and out. I use the 'claw' to get the clothes out now.

I also changed my pots and dishes, they were the very heavy kind too. We use the throw away plates when we are eating cold foods, only use the china when we are eating hot food.

I even put a daybed (it looks like a big sleigh with high back and sides) in the library instead of the sofa. Its made up to look like a sofa, but it has everything on it that my bed upstairs has.
    This way, I don't need to go up the stairs for my naps, I have as much confort right near the kitchen now. The sofa used to kill my back! The downstairs bedroom is too far away from the kitchen and the rest of the house.

I also do the pillow case thing instead of changing everything at the same time! You are a smart lady, it took me awhile to figure all this out.

I also take the very best of supplements, most are from right here at Pro Health, great quality and prices.

I drink Ensure for a multi, can't seem to find one that does not upset my IBS. I have the opposite problem than most, I am always trying to keep my weight up instead of losing weight! Just as bad a problem, just in the other direction!

I enjoyed reading your post, it was very enlightening.

Shalom, Shirl

4. Rozmund

Rozmund New Member

You are my kind of person - we have to keep ourselves positive and as fit as can for when a cure comes along - too much living to do - wanna laugh - I lay down on the grass to garden - but I have the greatest tulip garden on the street - I have learned to gently say NO - or YOU DO IT - I will be making a major post soon for the UK and Scotland group - there has been a kind of break through there - the world is catching on - we have an epidemic here - yet we get no funding, $$ support has to be fought for - makes me hopping mad. Anyway thanks for the kind words. We are in a bungalow now as the stairs killed me too - I have finally moved into the guest bedroom and did it up Victorian to suit little ole me - my mattress is just for me .... I have heard that air beds or foam beds are the best for firm yet soft support. Nothing there to pull or tug when you fight to turn over.

Here is a tip for us when we cannot sleep -- carbs make us sleepy - not called comfort food for nothing ....SO.... half hour before BEDTIME - have that bowl of cereal or cooked porridge - it will work wonders...also 'nother tip - to get your troubles off your mind I have a Transfer from my Mind List - I list all my concerns there - turn out the light - and say to myself - think I'll lay here and listen to Art Bell. After I hear all the woes of the world, my little corner ain't so bad. Ouch!!! Cheers.
    [This Message was Edited on 11/12/2002]
  5. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Sound gorgeous! I used to have an enomous garden, greenhouse and all. But had to comparsate, as it was way too much carry the pots and the soil etc. But I still garden! Could not live without having my hands in soil.

Now I am in large flower posts, dozens of them. I grow mostly herbs, and some perennials and shrubs that my son takes care of for me that are in the front of the house.

I love tulips, but I only managed to grow some last year. Its much too hot in Louisiana for them. A lady in the store told me to try them in a large flower pot, I did and I had a dozen huge ones bloom last year, I was so proud of them. Deep purple and a brilliant orange. Crazy combination of color, but hay, they were tulips!

Yes, you have got to be a fighter to survive these two illnesses, and I have been a fighter all my life, nothing new, just the Fibro.

That cottage sounds wonderful, I lived in what I considered a cottage before I moved here. Thats where I had the great garden and a courtyard in New Orelans, La.

Yours sounds so cozy. I also love Victorian, I have half the house in that style, my husband says he feels like he is a French 'you know what house'!

Take care, you have a great attitude, maybe they will find a cure for us all, hopefully soon.

Shalom, Shirl
    [This Message was Edited on 11/12/2002]