Thanks for your Prayers!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by auntyemnga, Dec 13, 2005.

1. auntyemnga

auntyemnga New Member

To Every Person Who Said A Prayer For Me:

Both mammogram & ultrasound showed benign cysts!! I want to thank each and every one of you who said a prayer (or 2, 3, etc.) for me!!!

My question now is: How many on this board have had breast cancer (estrogen receptor) and are taking natural hormones? If so, how long have you been taking hormones? Have you had any problems?

I spoke with the pharmacist this morning at ITC Compounding & Natural Wellness Pharmacy because it really started bothering me about taking the hormones. He was very knowledgeable and tried to put my mind at ease. But after this scare I just had I'm wondering if I'm doing the right thing. Your thoughts?

Love & Hugs and thank you all very, very much for your prayers,
    Sheila
  2. auntyemnga

auntyemnga New Member

Nancy,

The radiologist is concerned as to whether or not the natural hormones caused the pain/cysts in my breast. I'm definately calling my FFC doc in the morning. The estrogen is what I'm really concerned with. When she prescribed the drugs (4) I told her I was leary about them.

Thanks for your info!!
    Sheila
  3. auntyemnga

auntyemnga New Member

You are correct about the estrogen (because my BC was estogen receptive) but supposedly the compounded estrogen is different. I spoke to the pharmicist today. He said I should be on the lowest dose and get re-checked often. But after today I don't know what to do. My hormones are all out of whack and I'm afraid if I don't do something then I'll never get better.

Sheila
  4. auntyemnga

auntyemnga New Member

Hangininthere, (I'm afraid this post is going to turn into a book, sorry)

Last night after reading your post I decided not to do the Biest cream. It has 2 estrogens in it. I also didn't take the progesterone.

Then this morning, I went through everything I was taking that had to do with hormones and looked at my bloodwork results again.

My bloodwork from 10/4 is:
    Cortisol, Free, Serum = 0.68 In Range
    Free Testosterone = 3.6 In Range 0.1 - 6.4
    (Doc said she wanted it between 5 - 8)
    DHEA Sulfate = 216 In Range 25 - 220
    Progesterone = <0.5 In Range <0.7
    (Doc said she wanted it >10)
    Estadiol = 30 In Range < or = 27
    (Doc said she wanted it >70)

One supplement (Pregnenolone) says (right on the bottle, no less) that a possible side effect is an increase in estrogen. Under 'Directions' it says to have my blood hormone (estrogen, testosterone, DHEA) levels regularly assessed by the doc. Using Pregnenlone may elevate DHEA levels and DHEA can increase estrogen & testosterone levels. By now, I was gritting my teeth!

Then the doc has me on Biest cream which is 2 different estrogens. But as I read the bloodwork closer it says for post-menopausal it should be less than 27!! Yes, I'm post-menopausal. Imagine my shock!!!

So with that I didn't do the morning testosterone cream or take the morning Cortisol (which she increased from 5mg to 10mg last week). I also now have steam coming out of my ears!!

Luckily for me, I had an appt with my counselor. I told her what had happened in the last 24 hours (talking with ITC pharmacist, having a mammo & ultrasound, the radiologist telling me I needed to confess to my PCP, and then finally what I discovered this morning re: bloodwork & meds/supps).

I told her I needed to digest all of this and then I was going to send an e-mail to the doc. Depending on the doc's response, I would then call the main office in TX (which I've now decided I'm going to do anyway).

Now for tonight, I am finally tuckered out. I left the house at 10:05, did misc errands and such and didn't get home until 4:45. I don't think I could've done all of that had I taken the meds from last night & this morning.

When I saw the doc on 12/1 I complained that my fatigue had gotten so much worse and the only thing she did was increase the cortisol. Now I wish I would've looked at everything closer before I started it. I had told her from day 1 that I had had breast cancer twice. All she said was the Bio-identical hormones were different from the synthetic.

Well, I better close my book (thanks for reading),

Hugs,
    Sheila

PS: THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR POST LAST NIGHT ABOUT THE ESTROGEN!!!
  5. Musica

Musica New Member

What great news, Sheila! What a relief it must be for you, I hope you did something to celebrate.
  6. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

I've been looking for a post from you. I am so happy and grateful that you are fine. You have certainly been on my mind and in my prayers. Yes, to the breast cancer as stated in my other post. I have had breast cancer twice, precancerous polyps in my colon, and had to have my uterus and cervix removed because of serious precancerous cells. I too am estrogen positive which is good or so they say. We are not suppose to take anything with hormones. It could cause any cell that might have left the breast area or if you have your breast to grow. I have taken a testosterone shot a few times though just to see if it would help with menopause but I was advised not to do it. As you know,it's very hard to go through a forced menopause. Between that and CFS/FM, it's been tough. It changed my personality and not to the better. Sometimes I don't like myself. I have thought about trying some hormones again just to see if I could feel better for a few days. Again, thank God that our prayers for you were answered.

Susan
  7. LEFTYGG

LEFTYGG Member

I WENT BACK TO MY POST TO YOU AND SAW A MOONING ICON SRRY BOUT THAT I MEANT CLAPPING ICON LOL.

ANY WAY NOW IM SCARED ABOUT DR B PRESCRIBING SOMETHING BAD FOR YOU.ALSO DID YOU READ POST ABOUT FFC DR LEAVING ?

IVE MISPLACED YOUR EMAIL ADD IN ALL MY PAPERS THATS WHY I HAVENT EMAILED YOU. IM SCATTERBRAINED.

IM GLAD ALL IS WELL LOVE GAIL
  8. auntyemnga

auntyemnga New Member

for your kind words and helpful info.

Hangininthere: I did a copy/paste of your list of foods into Word. I'm going to print several copies (kitchen, purse, car) cause it will take me a little bit of time to remember them.

Musica: I celebrated by going off all of the hormones and saying a prayer that I got off of them before they did any real damage. I celebrated yesterday by going for my 1st Bio-Cleanse and today was my first colon hydrotherapy! Yes, it sounds disgusting but it wasn't that bad.

Susan: Thanks for reaching out to me!! I hope your mom is doing ok.

Leftygg: You're fine - I didn't notice the icon. I'm generally on at night and my eyes are only half open! I'm going to send Dr. B an e-mail over the week-end. Fred'a gave me her address. I've got to have a clear head when I type it. I missed the post about a FFC doc leaving. I heard today that they are planning to add a doctor at FFC - Atlanta. I guess I better go find that post. Also, don't worry about the e-mail....I'd lose my head if it wasn't attached : )

9. Prunella

Prunella New Member

I am so happy for you!

You asked this question on a previous post and I answered it there. I'll try to find it and bump it for you.

I would not take them. Natural or not, they are still hormones. My doc let me take them for while, but she has learned they can be just a dangerous as syntheic hormones and I would not take any hormones now or at least take the very lowest dose possible.