Thanks for your thoughts about my post I don't fit in

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by rosemarie, Oct 22, 2006.

1. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

I want to thank you for the comforting words that you all have written to me. I do struggle with the fact that I do need pain meds so that I can just function and do the things around the house and be a wife and a mom and a grandma.

I have a hard time accepting that I do have condtitions that require me to take strong pain pills. I may not like taking them but if I want to be able to do the things that I would like to do. Such a being a good grandma to my baby grandson I need to be as close to pain free as I can.

I am one who lets what others say get to me. IF some one words some thing like WOW, my doctor would never allow me to take such a strong pain pill. It would hurt my feelings. AS silly as it is I do feel that was and some times I take what is said to me as being the truth and I am at fault and I should not be taking such a stong pain medication.

I have struggled with doctors all my life. One day when I went to the doctor for my check up from a fall. I had appliled for WC and when I recived my recoreds one stated this about me. During the following months this patient was prespribed over 120 tyeloyl #3's so it is my opnion that she is addicted to codine. I had been given that amount of T3's in a three month time frame. And yet to him I was addicted.

MY gyn felt that I was taking far to much of my MScontin and he would tell me all the time that I was going to become addicted. So now it is 3 years from when he told me that and I just had my pain doctor reduce the amount of MScontin from 5 pills to 4 and if I don't need as much as I am on I just need to tell him that my pain is easing up and I am handling it better. But I don't need to stop taking it just because people don't approve of what I take for pain.

Thank you for your thought and help. I am learning that while I may feel bad about the fact I need to take pain pills. I am the one who is in pain and it is my pain and the way I react to it. AS it was said to me. WE all don't have the same pain tolerance's . We all are different when it comes to what pain meds work for us and what does not. And it really does not matter what it is that we take as long as it helps us with the pain we have.

Thanks for understanding me and helping me to understand my self . I don't mean to be a babay about telling people what I take for pain I just don't like the looks I get when I tell them what I am on. So that has stopped as the only people who need to know what I take are me and my doctor.

Sorry for being a baby and a pain in the rear aobut this subject.
    Rosemarie
  2. mymichelina

mymichelina New Member

I totally agree. Gentle hugs to you.
  3. joyfully

joyfully New Member

Your doctor knows your case AND KNOWS WHAT YOU NEED. I agree that you should stop telling ordinary people the amounts of medications that you are taking. it serves no purpose other than to upset you when other people make a comment about the strength and frequency of your RX.

What purpose does it serve to tell others? You will never convince another person in the general public about your pain, so telling them how much pain medication that you take is not getting you anywhere.

Most people feel uncomfortable hearing about someone else's pain. It shouldn't be this way, but it is.

That is why it is so good that there are message boards like this one ---where you can just be honest about your needs and concerns.

I thin you preetty well summed it up when you wrote, "I am learning that while I may feel bad about the fact I need to take pain pills. I am the one who is in pain and it is my pain and the way I react to it. AS it was said to me. WE all don't have the same pain tolerance's . We all are different when it comes to what pain meds work for us and what does not. And it really does not matter what it is that we take as long as it helps us with the pain we have. "

When you are in alot of pain, it is hard to think clearly. You don't get a good night's sleep because of the pain, then you are trying to think with sleep depravation. It can be a vicious cycle.

You aren't being a baby. You are just overwhelmed and looking for answers. You are HUMAN! Soft hugs, Joyfully
  4. pamlamb

pamlamb New Member

I know exactly what your saying. I to have had pain all my life and until a few yrs ago had no problem with refils. I have severe migraines and always had something on hand. The maddening part is even when going to the pain clinic, I brought in what I didn't use, whick they flushed down the toliet! and sometimes I had a prescription that lasted a year,.Now I'm insulted by the "you may have a drug problem"..when i've asked for pain meds. The Drs are my problem. Now I have to put up with pain from migraines and go to the ER for help when I need it. They can easily see in black @ white how I don't abuse drugs from the pain management clinic notes but won't budge. I read an article in AARP about how the FDA is comming down hard on MD's prescribing to many pills and get investigated. So, where does that leave us?
  5. chloeuk

chloeuk New Member

is YOUr pain...noone but you lives your life...if you need pain meds you should take them...we do not live your life...being aware that these meds can cause you problems is great...I wish that someone had warned me about them when they first prescribed them...you sound like you are controlling your pain well and if you are able to reduce them then great but dont beat yourself up andx suffer to do it...you are not a pain you just have a life filled with it!

Take care
    Chloe