Thanks for your thoughts on FM or Depression?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by unbalanced, Nov 25, 2005.

1. unbalanced

unbalanced New Member

Thanks to all who responded to my post. Some of us are concerned about these commercials, some of us are not. I was curious to see the results. I personally, do not have that much faith in the medical community, I have my reasons obviously. I have been told for the past 3 years that my pain is stress & depression related. I guess that is why this commercial bothers me. There are tons of doctors in my area that do not believe Fibro even exists, I recently ended my relationship with the doc I had been going to for 3 years. Anytime I tried to speak to him about my pain he would get angry, saying I was becoming tolerant to the meds ( been on the same exact thing for 4 yrs) & I would need to lower my dose so this would not continue to happen, & my depression was obviosly becoming worse for me to seek counseling & the pain wouldnt be so severe. I am concerned about this commercial because of docs like this one, by the way he is the Medical Director of this office, which is a Learning institute, & he teaches interns 2 days a week, so what do you think he is passing along? Fibro docs are few & far between!!
  2. unbalanced

unbalanced New Member

Here in Mich. They have been showing a commercial talking about how Depression causes pain, I'm pretty sure it is a drug manu. commercial. My cocern is that people with Fibro, & dont know it will be diagnosed with Depression instead. This has happened to me. And that is a very tough road to go down. Thanks for your interest.
  3. unbalanced

unbalanced New Member

Here in Mich. They have been showing a commercial talking about how Depression causes pain, I'm pretty sure it is a drug manu. commercial. My cocern is that people with Fibro, & dont know it will be diagnosed with Depression instead. This has happened to me. And that is a very tough road to go down. Thanks for your interest.
  4. Mar19

Mar19 New Member

I've seen that commercial and my first thought was that it was aimed at FM. Reading this thread just now, I opened another window and pulled the site up. It's a site for Cymbalta!! Bah humbug!! I thought so. Just what we need, someone else telling us FM isn't 'real'.

Mar
  5. minimonkey

minimonkey New Member

While I completely agree that lumping FM into depression is all wrong, I do have to say that depression is more than a "state of mind." A deeply, severely depressed person can not just "cheer up" and get better all of a sudden (ask anyone who has suffered it!). Yes, mood is part of it, and talk therapy can help on that end of things, but...

Depression *IS* a disease, with a great deal of physiological abnormalities. It isn't the same thing as FM -- not at all--- but it does have physiological as well as psychological roots.
  6. Bambi

Bambi New Member

they can do on the brain before or after death to prove mental illness. So many things that are wrong with people like these dd's, especially FM, are much easier to put under an umbrella of "mental illness" and depression to be called "a mental illness" than to admit they have found viruses and other causes for FM and CFS etc, but NO for sure causes. Lots of people get Lyme, Mycoplasms etc and do NOT get sick. So it's easier for them to label t hem as mental problems.
  7. minimonkey

minimonkey New Member

Here's a link to a summary of some of NIMH's recent depression research -- it is actually possible to pinpoint changes in the depressed brain vs a non-depressed one.

http://www.healthyplace.com/communities/depression/nimh/research.asp

[This Message was Edited on 11/27/2005]