Thanks to All, and a note to Jelly

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dbirdman, Oct 24, 2002.

1. dbirdman

dbirdman New Member

This is from an earlier post, though I thought I would also post it separately:

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome. It's nice to find a group of intelligent, informed people with which to discuss the challenges we face on a daily basis that most other people cannot see or understand.

Jelly: I'm sorry to hear about your son. I'm a Programmer and stare at a Computer all day, which certainly doesn't seem like a good match for my fatigue, though I do the best I can. I work hard and take pride in doing the best I can for the advancement of my department, my company, and myself as an IT professional. Having said that, I often feel like I'm not pulling my weight, especially when I fight all morning just to stay awake, and cannot get much done. I have expressed to my Wife on many occasions that I don't know how long I can deal with feeling this way, as whenever I have a fatigue 'wave', I have lingering feelings of despair, sometimes for the rest of the day. I also tell her that I feel weak, like I should be able to fight this thing better. As the sole source of our income, I guess I am afraid of problems with my job. In response, my Wife reminds me that I get up every morning and go to work, regardless of how I feel, and rarely take a sick day, unless I am really sick, which doesn't happen very often. She also reminds me that I have been able to excel within my field and continue to advance my knowledge and position.

Yes, there is added pressure for someone who is the sole bread-winner of a family, whether they are male or female.

I think the best thing is awareness. I didn't have anyone 'Notice' that I had problems; I discovered them on my own later in life. It seems that the best thing your son has right now is you. You're watching him, you're aware, and you can let him know from the beginning that he is not alone. He must also try to keep a positive attitude. My Wife would laugh at this, because sometimes I feel like there is no hope, and get very depressed and negative. Then, I look at my Wife, and into the faces of my Children, and I understand my place in this life. I am not alone, and I have wonderful people that depend on me. So, I get up, I go to work, and I keep looking for better ways to deal with these issues.

This became a little deeper than I intended. Thanks again for all of your kind words.

Regards
  2. dbirdman

dbirdman New Member

This is from an earlier post, though I thought I would also post it separately:

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome. It's nice to find a group of intelligent, informed people with which to discuss the challenges we face on a daily basis that most other people cannot see or understand.

Jelly: I'm sorry to hear about your son. I'm a Programmer and stare at a Computer all day, which certainly doesn't seem like a good match for my fatigue, though I do the best I can. I work hard and take pride in doing the best I can for the advancement of my department, my company, and myself as an IT professional. Having said that, I often feel like I'm not pulling my weight, especially when I fight all morning just to stay awake, and cannot get much done. I have expressed to my Wife on many occasions that I don't know how long I can deal with feeling this way, as whenever I have a fatigue 'wave', I have lingering feelings of despair, sometimes for the rest of the day. I also tell her that I feel weak, like I should be able to fight this thing better. As the sole source of our income, I guess I am afraid of problems with my job. In response, my Wife reminds me that I get up every morning and go to work, regardless of how I feel, and rarely take a sick day, unless I am really sick, which doesn't happen very often. She also reminds me that I have been able to excel within my field and continue to advance my knowledge and position.

Yes, there is added pressure for someone who is the sole bread-winner of a family, whether they are male or female.

I think the best thing is awareness. I didn't have anyone 'Notice' that I had problems; I discovered them on my own later in life. It seems that the best thing your son has right now is you. You're watching him, you're aware, and you can let him know from the beginning that he is not alone. He must also try to keep a positive attitude. My Wife would laugh at this, because sometimes I feel like there is no hope, and get very depressed and negative. Then, I look at my Wife, and into the faces of my Children, and I understand my place in this life. I am not alone, and I have wonderful people that depend on me. So, I get up, I go to work, and I keep looking for better ways to deal with these issues.

This became a little deeper than I intended. Thanks again for all of your kind words.

Regards