thanks to all who answered my mess.about oxycontin-or patch

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by nje, Jun 30, 2003.

1. nje

nje New Member

most everybody that answered me were really helpful,and made me feel better about choosing the oxycontin instead of the patch. i am feeling much better since i`ve been on it for all of 3 days. my doctor is a very reputable man that is in an association of internal medicine. he knows a drug,good before he prescribes it.he said oxycontin was a timed release formula of different pain meds,like percocet,something similar to morphine and a couple of other meds,i can`t remember what all he said it had in it,but he has me coming back in 2 weeks to check me,see if i need a larger dose,he started me out on 20 mg.twice daily. i`ve had some breakthrough pain today,nothing really bad.all in all i feel like a different person,and not one whose nodding off in a seat or a car.i wouldn`t take anything like that,if it did me that way. also someone wrote and said the had never taken a narcotic before for pain,well obviously she has never ever, experienced the horrible pain that i have had for 2 years now,i took all of the lesser strength meds and for a little while they helped,but when i got to the point of having no quality living in my life, i went on narcotics gladly. i`m not old enough to have to spend all my life in bed,and watch my son and husband going and doing without me.today i am up,feeling better than i have in a while,i am going out to supper,also something i haven`t been able to do in a while. call me a junkie,or whatever you want,i`m not going to try to be a martyr and suffer it out,just so i can say i haven`t taken any narcotics for my pain. i think i speak for most of us on here about that;its not the path i would have chosen for myself being on narcotics just to be able to get up and move and live a better quality of life;but i have a chronic disease that i`m going to have till i die,so i want to live what remaining time i have on this earth as usefully and as pain free as i can be.also if my doctor leaves his practice for 1 reason or another, there are about 12 other doctors in that association,and they would take up where he left off,because they`re all good doctors ,i`ve been going to them 10 years.also 1 person asked did i just go for a yearly physical only,that day yes,but i see 2 other doctors and him regularly, trust me i see doctors more than my family almost,lol well sorry i got longwinded but i had to get a few things off my chest. thanks again for answering my question. (((hugs to all)) nje
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I am so happy for you. Never, never, ever even think about being an addict. You are someone with chronic pain and have a legitimate reason to take opiods. Be happy for yourself and consider yourself lucky that you have so many good and educated docs.

Love, Mikie