THANKSGIVING ... funny ~ thoughtful

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by victoria, Nov 24, 2009.

1. victoria

victoria New Member

George Carlin
    We're having something a little different this year for Thanksgiving. Instead of a turkey, we're having a swan. You get more stuffing.

Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary
    Turkey: A large bird whose flesh, when eaten on certain religious anniversaries has the peculiar property of attesting piety and gratitude.

I love Thanksgiving turkey. It's the only time in Los Angeles that you see natural breasts. ~Arnold Schwarzenegger

Erma Bombeck~ No One Diets on Thanksgiving
    What we're really talking about is a wonderful day set aside on the fourth Thursday of November when no one diets. I mean, why else would they call it Thanksgiving?

An optimist is a person who starts a new diet on Thanksgiving Day. ~Irv Kupcinet

Thanksgiving is America's national chow-down feast, the one occasion each year when gluttony becomes a patriotic duty. ~Michael Dresser

“Thanksgiving, when the Indians said, “Well, this has been fun, but we know you have a long voyage back to England”. –Jay Leno

On Thanksgiving Day, all over America, families sit down to dinner at the same moment - halftime. ~Author Unknown

Russell Baker~
    It was dramatic to watch my grandmother decapitate a turkey with an ax the day before Thanksgiving. Nowadays the expense of hiring grandmothers for the ax work would probably qualify all turkeys so honored with 'gourmet' status.

Forever on Thanksgiving Day, The heart will find the pathway home.
    ~Wilbur D. Nesbit

Johnny Carson~
    Thanksgiving is an emotional holiday. People travel thousands of miles to be with people they only see once a year. And then discover once a year is way too often.

Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe~
    If we meet someone who owes us thanks, we right away remember that. But how often do we meet someone to whom we owe thanks without remembering that?

Thanksgiving, after all, is a word of action. ~W.J. Cameron

May your stuffing be tasty
    May your turkey plump,
    May your potatoes and gravy
    Have nary a lump.
    May your yams be delicious
    And your pies take the prize,
    And may your Thanksgiving dinner
    Stay off your thighs!

Happy thanksgiving everybody!

2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

My holiday memories are somewhat mixed.

Basically, good food and dysfunctional relatives.

3. jole

jole Member

The third one made me laugh....and I'm sure he'd know! hahaha
  4. kjade

kjade New Member

Same with me Rock - we have had some great Thanksgivings in my family, and there were some that were pretty rocky. Ah - to come from a dysfunctional least things are always interesting. LOL. I am now trying to create my own traditions with my own family, and screw anyone who doesn't want to join us. :(

Thanks Victoria for posting those - I enjoyed them. Especially Johnny Carson's "Thanksgiving is an emotional holiday. People travel thousands of miles to be with people they only see once a year. And then discover once a year is way too often." LOL!

Happy Thanksgiving All!