That time of the month/UPDATE/Went to gyno today

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mommyinpain, Nov 12, 2006.

1. mommyinpain

mommyinpain New Member

Every month, about a week before I start and the week I'm on my period and always for a few days when I am ovulating, I hurt so bad that it is hard for me to believe that this could in any way be normal.

I don't just hurt in my stomach area, either. It is all over pain, especially my back, ribs, ovary area, and all over muscle pain.

When I try to explain this to my gyno he acts like my periods can't be causing all this extra pain but I know how I feel and I do hurt MUCH WORSE right before and during my period.

The pain is excrutiating at times. To the point I don't feel like doing anything.

Does anyone else feel like this?

Any comments greatly appreciated. MIP
    [This Message was Edited on 11/12/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 11/14/2006]
  2. mommyinpain

mommyinpain New Member

3. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

Yes my pain is much worse that time of the month. I am more likely to have migraines, my legs ache from my hips to my calves and I feel exhausted like I haven't slept in days.

I am most likely to have a migraine midway through the month when I should be ovulating. So I think our hormones fluctuating plays a big part in FM and probably why more women suffer than men.

hugs Redwillow
  4. mommyinpain

mommyinpain New Member

I also have the pain in my hips and legs. It is horrible and so hard to explain to the man in your life because there is just no way they can understand this kind of pain.

My man is sympathetic to my pain but I can tell he doesn't understand how I can be in so much pain all the time and in even worse pain at that time of the month.

Anyway, just wondering if I was the only one that felt this bad. MIP
  5. tandy

tandy New Member

I'm exactly like that around that time of the month.
    and when I ovulate~

it got to the point where it was a week to 10 days of really bad pain with my period. Then a full week when I ovulate.
    Calculate that to be more than half the month in alot of pain. It was terrible,...so I totallly understand you~
    After many complaints to my gyno he finally told me he suspected I had endometriosis.
    You might check into that.

I was DX with that 9 yrs ago.(via Laproscopy)
    many times they suggest a complete Hysterectomy to get rid of the pain. Don't listen to em. Research every option!!
    Best of luck~
    if I can help,..shout back :)
    Hugs
    Tandy
  6. Catseye

Catseye Member

Mine are unbearable but only when I bleed. The only thing that's different and more annoying is that they are coming every 23 or 24 days now. I'm doing okay now but when I'm really bad like after a bad crash, I can't take any oral meds at all or I feel like I'm dying so I have to suffer. I end up squirming around in bed moaning. If I can get it, injections of voltaren, an anti-inflammatory, work really well for like 12 hours. My old doc told me if you know what day you're going to start, begin taking ibuprofen a day before. He said it inhibited the prostaglandin that makes the uterus contract. I never know when I'm starting so I wait for the pain and take either Ultram or Vicoprofen if I'm feeling okay or go with the shots. Castor oil packs worked a little when I couldn't take meds, along with a heating pad. Don't you just love male doctors who make stupid comments about our periods like "gee, it just can't hurt all that bad"? Makes you want to kick him in the crotch and tell him it can't be the cause of all the extra pain he's feeling! You could get your hormone levels checked: estrogens (estrone, estriol, estradiol) and progesterone. But I would use supplements and my own judgement as to whether or not I needed more or less. DHEA and pregnenolone are safe in low doses and effective. And there are other supplements, including menstrual herbs, depending on what you need. I wouldn't mess around with what the doctor would want to give you, birth control pills and such. Google for "natural remedies irregular periods" and you'll find what you need. good luck! karen
  7. mommyinpain

mommyinpain New Member

Tandy, that's exactly how I am. I hurt so much and it's for longer each month so now I'm to the point I hurt about 2 1/2 weeks out of the month and my periods have also gotten closer together each month. Now, I have my period about every 21 days so figure that and I might get a decent feeling week.

Of course, during that week, I have some other kind of horrible muscle/rib/aching kind of pain so I'm never pain free. It is so frustrating and I truly believe pain has aged me so much in the last 5 years. I feel like someone 25 yrs older than I should be.

Sorry to go on. Just feels better when I have people to talk to that really understands. MIP
  8. tandy

tandy New Member

I go on and on all the time.(here :) LOL
    I'm glad you us to talk to because your so right," its nice to KNOW others who understand"

Try to google search symtoms of Endometriosis and see if it sounds like what your going thru.
    It sure sounds too familiar to me!! I was and am just like that!
    and also,..when I started to read up on Endo
    they always mentioned the main symptom being heavy bleeding. I never had heavy bleeding~ I had everything else tho~
    look it up and tell me if you think its a possibilty.
    (when you get a chance)
    Do you get bad cramps(really bad) with your period??
    and are your bowel movements painful or different while your having your period?
    Just trying to help :)
    Hugs
    Tandy
  9. mommyinpain

mommyinpain New Member

I will google Endometriosis and see what I think.

Yes, I do get bad cramps. I also have really heavy bleeding. As for my bowel movements, they don't hurt but I usually have the diarrhea when I'm on my periods. The diarrhea just started about 6 months ago and I have no idea why but it is usually pretty bad. My periods also last about 5 days with heavy bleeding about 3 of those days and I mean really heavy.

Asked my gyno about all these symptoms and he seemed to think nothing was out of the ordinary. He did put me on the pill for awhile but they make my breasts hurt so bad I couldn't stand it so we decided they were not a good option for me and also, with my age they weren't a good idea anymore.

Gyno never mentioned Endo but last year he did do an ultrasound on my cervix and ovaries and said everything looked good. He told me that if I kept having this kind of pain we could discuss exploratory surgery or even a hysterectomy, which I do not want.

Anyway, thanks for the info and I will look it up. MIP

P.S. I did look up Endo and I'm still not sure but I go to my Gyno next week for my yearly check-up and I'm going to ask him about it. Thanks, MIP
    [This Message was Edited on 11/12/2006]
  10. tandy

tandy New Member

Nothing would show up on an ultrasound.

Most Endo will not show up on Ultrasound.
    Mine never did.

night
    Tandy
  11. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

I have had the same problems. I had endometriosis about 15 years ago and after surgery and hormone therapy it went away.

Then when I had my tubes tied, it came back with a vengeance. I now take a very low dose birth control pill which helps a lot with the pain and heavy flow.

Even still, some months are just unbearable since the fibro monster took over my life.

Good Luck
    Sue in Ontario
  12. mellaart1011

mellaart1011 New Member

Acupuncture has been the most amazing cure for all my symptoms
    If I get a treatment shortly after my cycle the next one is a breeze, no PMS, no headaches, no heavy flow, and cramps not nothing, it's been a lifesaver for everything
    My chinese doctor says that a womens menstral cycle is a gift, letting her know how her health is, if you have bad periods your body is struggling, if you have good ones your in good health
  13. b~kay~b

b~kay~b New Member

i had problems for years and the pain was so great i would either take two 800mg motrins at once no help or four tylenols no help did the same with pms med no help not to be graphic but i would have to wear two to three overnight pads at once one time i left for work i lived 5 min away got there noticed my jeans were drenched went home to clean up passed out went to work my boss took me to the er and i use to see military docs they always say its a normal period grin and bear it. migraines are a thing i have them all the time but during this time they lingered. i did the birth control hormone therapy finally over a year now a doc said lets do an ultrasound well i had a fybroidtumor and said hysterectomy ok i said i want a complete one. found out once he got in there the main pain could have been because of scartissue from c section was real thick and was also on bladder my uterus was the size of a 14 week pregnant uterus forgot the term, the tumor was about a grapefruit size. i am not saying this is you because i had problems even as a teenager the pain, heaviness it just got worse towards the end there. but women go through alot but there was that one point that i saw in researching even though i had weird symptoms as a kid i didnt get hit real hard until after the hysterectomy-hormonal fluctuation. its like they say you are biologically predispositioned(if thats the word im looking for)aggrivated factors play a role or trigger it.(yes i was taking hormone therapy)had no symptoms like hot flashes, mood swings blah blah blah i actually felt good for the first time in years and then one day that lightening bolt of sharp pain took me out. you know with all those crazy symptoms pain heaviness, i actually had a male gyno tell me "you will go through early menopause" hey i should put that on the wackiest things doc said. but how is he going to tell me that? Well i guess i did but not the way he meant lol
  14. SweetT

SweetT New Member

A few days (up to a week) before my period, I'll have severe abdominal pains. Then it's followed by really heavy bleeding (need a tampon and pad to be protected at work).

I know that if I become a vegan again, those symptoms would subside. But it's hard to eat right :)
  15. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

UGH.....I felt like I was losing my mind the last couple of days and I always have what I call 'hormone headaches' before and during. Fibro pain worsens and also more fatigued. I figure between the physical and mental turmoil my hormones cause, that I only have about a week a month where I'm not affected.
  16. mommyinpain

mommyinpain New Member

for the replies. Been gone all day. Just now looking at the posts. I hate it that other people have this type of pain but also glad that I can talk to people who understand.

I begin this post because I can tell I'm getting ready to start. I feel awful. Ache all over. All my muscles hurt. My stomach and back hurt and I also get the horrible headache the first and then the last day of my period. I am so tired I have to drag myself through the day and I am so hateful and grouchy with everyone and I really try not to be like that but I can't help it. I just hurt so bad I feel like people should be able to look at me and see how much pain I am in.

It also seems like that if I have some other type of muscle/rib/back pain going on when it is time for me to start, it makes the pain sooooooo much worse in that area, along with all the other pains.

Sorry. In pain right now and needed to vent. Thanks for listening. MIP
  17. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Dear MIP,

So sorry to hear about your pain! I often get very bad menstrual cramps for one or two days a month and they are horrible. I thought that's what you might be talking about, but then I saw that your pain is lasting for weeks. Adding insult to injury, your doc isn't listening to you, and you might need to be further evaluated for enometriosis or something else.

I strongly suggest that you and any other posters here whose doc is ignoring them to get a second opinion! I had a 10-year relationship with my gyno, and she was so busy that she started getting abrupt. Her nurse was getting rude, and it escalated (long story) to the point that I didn't feel comfortable anymore. I saw a new gyno (my friend's rec), and the new doc was WONDERFUL. I can't believe I hesitated.

Sometimes it's refreshing to try a new doctor. It doesn't always make sense to do so (it's not like changing flavors of gum obviously), but in your case, if your doc isn't listening, my opinion is that you might want to find one who will take you seriously. You're worth it!

Much love, Erika
  18. mommyinpain

mommyinpain New Member

I have been thinking of changing my gyno. I just hate to. I'm like you were; he's been my doc for over 14 years and he has delivered both my children and I think he is a great doc but like you said about your doc; My gyno is so busy that I have felt like for the last couple of years that he is not listening to me or trying to understand my pain.

He did prescribe naxproxen for my pain last year but also told me to take it a day or two before my pain started and not to take it for long because it is so hard on the stomach.

Well, I have problems with that because all medicines pretty much hurt my stomach and since I never know when I'm going to start it is very hard to know when I should take the med and they do hurt my stomach so I'm not going to take it anyway. It didn't help with the pain either.

It is just so frustrating. I really hate to change my gyno but I feel like I will if he doesn't help me this time.

Thanks for listening. MIP
    [This Message was Edited on 11/13/2006]
  19. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Dear MIP,

I was JUST literally in your shoes about 6 weeks ago re: my gyno. We had AT LEAST a 10-year relationship, maybe a little more. And it was the same situaion, although I do not have children. She was great, but her practice really built up over the years, and she got so busy that she was very rushed and gradually over time, she because less and less helpful.

It's hard when you've been seeing someone for so long, and you feel like you've got a nice thing going. However, I realized that my doc doesn't see it that way. She was just trying to rush through appointments and see as many patients as possible in order to make more money. And when it comes to something as important as women's health, that's just wrong! For every appointment I had, I had to wait at least 30 minutes in the lobby. Then, I had to wait another 20 to 30 minutes in the exam room before she would come in. Because she was THAT busy.

When she finally came in, she RUSHED. A few weeks after my yearly exam, I had heavy mid-cycle bleeding, and called the nurse about it. They never gave me an explanation as to what might be going on, but simply told me to double up on my birth control pills for a couple weeks.

This meant I would run short on the pills. They knew this and said they'd refill the script sooner. I have a mail order pharmacy, and they acted like I was the first patient who ever used one and like it was rocket science. It was absurd!

So, because I have a mail order pharmacy, it meant I would have to get extra packs of bc pills or else run very short. They wouldn't work with me AT ALL and acted like I wanted to abuse birth control pills (as if someone would do that), and then the nurse said my gyno thought I was being obsessive about the pills! It was incredibly rude, and they just kept giving me the runaround. After much emotion and shock because I'd seen her for 10+ years, I realized it wasn't worth it, and she wasn't giving me proper care anymore. I was even begging my internal med doc for birth control pills. How totally absurd is that??

I asked a good friend who had had ovarian cancer 15 years ago, meaning she was very choosy about gynos. The new doc was WONDERFUL and so much better than her. Very kind, thorough and he didn't hesitate to work within the constraints of my mail order pharmacy (which wasn't that big of a deal!). Plus, he explained why I was having the midcycle bleeding and what the next course of action would be if it happened again next month. I realized that my previous gyno really wasn't helping me as much as I thought. It was a breath of fresh air and I was so glad I switched docs.

Moral to my very long story (sorry, but I really hope it helps you!): if your doc isn't helping you or listening to your concerns (and I don't think yours is anymore at all), I urge you to at least get a second opinion and then consider switching docs. Just because he's helped you in the past, doesn't mean he is helping you now. It sounds like he means well, but doesn't get it. Let me know how it goes.
    YOUR HEALTH IS WORTH IT!

Warm hugs, Erika
  20. mommyinpain

mommyinpain New Member

Went to my gyno today and now I think, maybe I never really explained just how much pain I was in because he really listened to me today and without me even asking him he said he thought I might have endometriosis and told me that at my age (40) that I should not have to suffer like this with my periods for the next 12 or so years before menopause.

He gave me pamphlets told me that he was not trying to talk me into surgery but he if he was me and was having this much trouble and not planning on having anymore children he would have a laproscopy done to find out what was causing my frequent, heavy periods and all the pain I was having and if it is endometriosis then he said most likely he can get it while he is in there and also suggested that if needed he would do a uterus ablation which is like scraping the inside of the uterus and will most likely stop my periods or at least make them a lot lighter and less painful.

He said most women that have it done see a complete change in their periods and love it.

Can anyone tell me if they have heard of this procedure or had it done. I would love some advice. He wants me to think about it and discuss with my family and read the pamphlets and let him know something in a few days.

MIP