in an article on AOL's home page, the toxicity of that new car smell was discussed. It comes from VOLs, volatile organic compounds that outgas from the plastics, paints and other components used in car manufacture. The auto makers are finally acknowleging that this is toxic stuff, and present in much higher amounts than are deemed safe. They have plans to correct this problem. Soon, I hope! I can't set foot in a new car without feeling ill. IMHO, it's about time they realized they are poisoning their customers! Ya think????? peace, beth.