The 100 Days Challange.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by gapsych, Dec 31, 2010.

1. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I just joined something on Facebook which is a bit hokey but maybe it will help motivate me to actually follow through on this New Years Resolution. It's called the Hundred Days Challenge. It's a commitment to move 30 minutes a day, at your own ability, even if it is three minutes ten times a day. It doesn't have to be strenuous, even moving your arms and legs in bed, counts.

Give it a try!!

gap[This Message was Edited on 01/04/2011]
  2. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

I read somewhere that sitting or lying complete still for very long is bad for a person whether in bed, at a desk, or in front of the T.V. For a person who is housebound or bedbound, moving 3 minutes 10 times a day would probably be better than 30 minutes once a day (which they probably couldn’t do anyway). I try to remember to move around (in my seat) periodically as I sit here in front of the computer.
  3. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I have been active almost 30 minutes for 3/4 days but last Saturday with my grandkids was worth about 5 thirty minute days!! I really overdid it as I was feeling pretty good that day. I knew I would crash but it was worth it.

As you said, any kind of movement, however small is helpful and that is what I like about this. I would love to work up to 30 minutes per day but time will tell and you have to rely on what your body is telling you. Your body, not your mind, which can come up with a thousand excuses LOL! Also within your limitations.

There's a site called patientslikeme where you can chart things like this and keep a record of how you are doing as sometimes our memories can be somewhat less than reliable. There are sites for FM and CFS but it is not really a board where people exchange a lot of posts.

Even though I pretty much knew the things the site says, it was reaffirming and I found making the commitment motivating. Sometimes I find I forget that the little steps may lead to bigger ones.

One thing the site says is if you miss a day not to beat yourself up about it but accept it as part of the learning curve and try the next day or make a smaller goal. You can also start with a shorter time and work up.

I wish I could remember who said this as I think it's clever. Someone on this board was writing the alphabet or numbers with their arm or leg while in bed.

I wonder if I could do this four limbs at a time? Probably not if I am just waking up. :>)

I think I will change the title of this thread since New Years has passed.

Take care.

4. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Gap - you reminded me to use my rebounder. I usually don't actually jump on it but gently bob up and down, it gets my blood and lymph circulating with very little effort.

Happy new year!

5. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Great idea. Whatever it takes to get more movement in our lives.

6. luigi21

luigi21 Member

Excellent posting, im all for exercise! recommended in uk at least 30mins cardio 3 times a week. I also do pilates and stretching. Great postive post.