The Animal Song Game

Discussion in 'Homebound/Bedbound' started by gb66, May 18, 2014.

1. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Here's another song game to play. Let's post any songs with animals, birds, insects, in the title or in
    the song lyrics.

Good hunting!
  2. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

"The Tiger Rag" Hold that tiger. Originally by the Dixieland Jazz Band, 1917. This song is used for school team fight songs also.

"How Much is That Doggie in the Window?" The one with the waggily tail. Sung by Peggy Lee, 1952.

"Bye Bye Blackbird" Sung by Gene Austin, 1926.
    Last edited: May 18, 2014
  3. hangininthere

hangininthere Well-Known Member

'The Lion Sleeps Tonight' by the Tokens.

ninkinindy and ConfusedInPA like this.
  4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Hi Kids

Good Work, GB. This is the kind of game we need. Low impact; entertaining; no stress.

Here Comes Peter Cottontail, hopping down the bunny trail. Rudolph the Red Nosed
    Reindeer. I think both were introduced by Gene Autry. And continuing the cowboy
    theme:

A Cowboy Needs a Horse.

Wild Horses written by Danny Elfman. Well, that's what one site says. D'OH! Actually the song was written before Elfman was born. Just because there is a lot of info on the net, doesn't mean it's accurate. But Danny did write the theme for "The Simpsons".

Ghost Riders in the Sky. Popular when I was a kid. Nobody is sure who wrote this song.
    Apparently there was a ghost writer involved.

And then there's "The Possum Song" which is a sorta novelty/kids song. The lyrics mention
    the squirrel, cricket, turtle, weasel, etc. If you're curious you can find it on Youtube. Sung
    by John Gary.

Thanks for the old favorite, Hanging. I also like the Weavers version. That's on
    Youtube too.

Rock
  5. Soul*

Soul* Well-Known Member

I'm a p p p p p p p p platypus

Itsy bitsy spider

Er zaten zeven kikkertjes al in de boerensloot (seven frogs in the farmers stream)
  6. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Okay, let's see what else I can come up with!

"Be My Little Baby Bumble Bee" Written in 1912 and later recorded by Doris Day.

"Shoo Fly Pie and an Apple Pan Dowdy" makes your eyes light up and your tummy say howdy!

"The Siamese Cat Song" from the movie Lady and the Tramp, 1955

"Somewhere Over the Rainbow" Birds fly over the rainbow, why then oh why can't I. From The Wizard of Oz.

"When the Red Red Robin Comes Bob Bob Bobbin Along" There'll be no more sobbing when he starts throbbing his old sweet song. Wake up you sleepy head, get up get out of bed, cheer up the sun is red, live love laugh and be happy......

"Zippity Doo Dah" zippity a, my oh my what a wonderful day, plenty of sunshine heading my way zippity doo dah zippity a. Mister Bluebird on my shoulder, it's the truth it's actual everything is satisfactual......

From 1946 Disney movie Song of the South.
  7. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Hi Soul
    I wonder if your song about 7 frogs is the same novelty tune that was popular here
    several decades ago. 7 Little Fishes: they swim and they swam right over the dam
    Phil Harris once sang it on the Jack Benny show.

Hi GB
    Some of these song fit in multiple categories: animals, colors, celestial.

Old Dog Tray. by Stephen Foster. Old Grey Mare. Yellow Bird.

The 12 Days of Christmas mentions several kinds of birds. Including a calling bird.
    Looked it up. Found several answers: it just means a song bird. It's a colly or
    collie bird which is a black bird. It's a canary. It's an ale from Belgium.

When I was a kid we had a recording of an old vaudeville song called: Rings
    on her Fingers, Bells on her Toes. The lyrics refer to "elephants to ride upon".
    Can I hear it on Youtube? Darn tooting.

And there are some elephant songs in Disney's movie Dumbo.

In those exciting early days or rock and roll, Bill Haley had a hit with "See
    Ya later, Alligator". Ya don't get many songs about crocodilians. Might be some
    in "Peter Pan" though.

I was gonna post "Red, Red Robbin'," but you bobbed first.

Rock
  8. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

"La Paloma" The dove

"The Tarantella" The tarantula

"April Showers" So keep on looking for a bluebird and listening for his song, whenever April showers come along.

"It's Spring Again and Birds on the Wing Again" Bing Crosby

"Bingo was his Name O" There was a farmer had a dog and Bingo Was His Name O, B I N G O, B I N G O, B I N G O, and Bingo was his name O. This is a children's song.

In the 1960's we lived near a kindergarten and every day they would play this song on the playground.
    Which reminds me, "The Farmer in the Dell".
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  9. ConfusedInPA

ConfusedInPA Well-Known Member

Hi y'all,

I'm enjoying this thread. Here's a menagerie of animal tunes for y'all to ponder, remember, and/or watch on YouTube:

SPIDERS & SNAKES, Jim Stafford, 1973

WHAT'S NEW PUSSYCAT, Tom Jones, 1965

NORWEGIAN WOOD (THIS BIRD HAS FLOWN), The Beatles, 1965

Another great thread GB! So much fun, to remember all these songs, and to listen again, to the tunes mentioned on this thread.

Hugs y'all,

Diane

PS To Patti:

The version of "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" that I'm familiar with is:

THE LION SLEEPS TONIGHT, Robert John, 1972

I think I still have that 45 rpm. Y'all remember 45's???? :p

Diane, humming and singing along to YouTube tunes :D

AND ANOTHER PS, for Soul --- I love this song!:

PALOMA BLANCA, George Baker Selection, 1976 (One White Dove)

;)
    Last edited: May 19, 2014
  10. Soul*

Soul* Well-Known Member

Rock this is the Dutch seven frogs song, no clue if it is the same as yours.
  11. windblade

windblade Active Member

"Blackbird singing in the dead of night
    Take these broken wings and learn to fly
    All your life, you were only waiting for this moment to arise
    Blackbird.....fly.

The Beatles - sung by Paul McCartney
  12. windblade

windblade Active Member

Is 'Wild Horses' sung by The Rolling Stones the same one you mentioned, Rock?

"Wild, Wild horses, we'll ride them someday."
  13. windblade

windblade Active Member

GB - you mentioned The Tarantella. My husband has been learning to play the mandolin, and watches hours of music from Naples where his Grandparents came from. Lots of Tarantella singing, dancing, and concerts.

I hear it in my house on the mandolin all the time. It's
    fun.
  14. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Hi everyone, Glad you're enjoying the game. There are a lot more of these than I thought.

"Chicken Reel" a fiddle tune

"Let's Turkey Trot" Little Eva recorded this

"Turkey in the Straw" a good fiddle tune

"Here Comes Peter Cottontail" hopping down the bunny trail...

"Molly Malone" Cockles and Mussels alive alive oh. (It's an Irish folk song.)

"Froggy Went A' Courtin" A children's song recorded by Tex Ritter
  15. ninkinindy

ninkinindy Member

Windblade - you "stole" my one and only off-the-cuff idea. Now I'll have to actually work on it. Or just see what you guys come up with. I'm going to have to log in more often so as to get in on the beginning of one of these games, before you guys take all the easy answers!
  16. ninkinindy

ninkinindy Member

Oh crap.. Now I'm going to have The Lion Sleeps Tonight as the background music that's always in my brain until something stronger comes along and keeps it out. And that music doesn't get de-throned without a fight.
  17. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Come back often cause 'the early bird gets the worm'. (Sorry about that).
  18. Soul*

Soul* Well-Known Member

Psssst, don't tell anyone else but noone started the letter B yet in the alphabet game where we think of all the things around our house starting with a particular letter. You could be the early bird ;)
  19. windblade

windblade Active Member

Hi Ninkinindy, keep trying:D. I haven't been able to think of much yet but will keep at it too.
    That drives me crazy when I can't get an unwanted song out of my head, especially a corny one.:eek:

The Animals
    The Beatles
    The Eagles
    The Turtles

Groups with animal names. Was there a group called The Turtles?????
  20. windblade

windblade Active Member

"..... Mad bull that's lost it's way".

from 'Gimme Shelter' - The Rolling Stones