The anxiety is back :-( Update of Friday's panic attack post

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lvjesus, Aug 28, 2005.

1. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

Well, I did fine over the weekend, except one episode of not being able to catch my breath from my irregular heartbeat.

Today is Monday, I am back at work, and my pulse is racing. My job is not high pressure or stressful, so I am not sure what is at the core of this problem.

Dread is hanging over me today. THIS IS THE PITS!!!

I am going to do the Xanax thing again, I think, but I am supposing that it is time to go back to the doctor. I will see how I get along this week.

He told me he did not want me on Xanax all the time. For those of you who read my other thread, I have a script for 1/2 to 1 pill every other day. When my PCP gave me the script for Xanax (generic) he said if I needed it more frequently, to come back and he would give me something I could take all the time.

I did and it was Zoloft but my insurance copay for that is $30 a month so I stopped after 2 months (1 month trial pack from the doc and 1 month prescription). I know $30 is not a lot by itself, but of course I have 2 other prescriptions and suppliments to buy. Not to mention household bills...

I have a rheumy now and don't know if I should go to him or the PCP for this should I decide to go. PCP is $20 copay, rheumy is $40. It is worth $40 if he will give me something I can take that is cheap and helps.

I don't care if I have to take Xanax every day, but I don't know if he will like it. His take on the Klonopin I went to him for was the same as the PCP and that is that it is addictive.

He agreed to let me stay on .5mg of Klonopin for 3 more months (I am on my last month now) since it was a low dose once a day and was making such a difference in how I felt.

The Xanax dose is very low as well (.25mg) so he might even go for that at once a day. I wonder if he will prescribe it over the phone. I guess I have nothing to lose if I try. All he can say is no and make me come in.

All thoughts welcome for any other ideas of what to do. I got alot of replies on my other thread about panic attacks.

This is really not a panic attack, just that anxiety.

Love to you all,
    Sonya
  2. gumama

gumama New Member

I think when Dr's go to medical school they forget how to be HUMAN..... just once I wish they could walk in OUR shoes and know how that feels....

when you have a disease that is going to be with you for life. WHO CARES if the meds that help you are addicting, your looking for quality of life...

I would rather be addicted to a drug and be able to function in some capacity then be anxious and have panic attacks all the time, which make me NOT FUNCTION.!!!!

I feel so bad for you, I am fortunate in that I have a Dr who will work with me. ( My Rheumy) she's wonderful, she understands, but I know that she's one in a million.

These Dr's are so afraid of being sued over the least little thing..type out a piece of paper and sign it and tell them that gets them off the hook and to GIVE you the medication that helps you..

I hope you get the meds you need sooner rather than later.

Sandy ( in Calif )
  3. ckk

ckk New Member

hi sonya how are you? i just read your letter and i have to put in my 2 cents. just in case you care to take any advice. i am gonna put it out there for you. i like to stress on all my letters that i am not in the medical field at all just to make it clear 'cause i dont want people to feel they should listen to me. i am just a housewife and i respond to the letters that i have been thru. so here it goes, i have had about 5 panic attacks in my life, the first one i called the ambulance and went to the er. results? panic attack go home. my question to the docs was, am i going to die? they said no. so now when i get one, i know that its not a heart attack and i am not gonna die, so that in itself helps me. so, i do my best to get in a comfy spot in my house and hang out there until i know its gone. just knowing that if i can get a handle on it it will go away, really helps me. even taking a bath helps. just trying to give some advice. hope it helped a little. take care of yourself and feel better.
    ckk
  4. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Hi Sonya,
    Well, I really feel that .25 mg. of Xanax is really low. I'm taking 3 of the .5 mg. a day of it and have been for 8 years. I haven't become addicted (needed more of the med), yet I'm sure I have a tolerance to the med and would have to get off it very slowly if I needed to for any reason. I can go 12 hours or more without it and be okay.

We have copays that go from $10, $20, and $35. I have 2 meds I pay the $35 copay for, so I know what you mean.

I wonder if you should just make an appointment and ask him to his face about the Xanax and that it helps you and you don't understand why you can't be on it everyday if it is helping a problem that is causing you a lot of stress.

I think that other med he is talking about would be Buspar, which is supposed not to be addictive (like who cares?) and helps with anxiety within weeks of taking it. I was on it, but at the time, I needed something more than that. I suffered badly through my mother's illnesses and her death, on Buspar, and I could have had decent relief.

Glad I see a doc who will give me the Rx for Xanax without any questions.

Hope you feel better.

Hugs,
    Faye
  5. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

ckk, I am open to any and all advice, and I thank you for yours.

Faye,
    I had to take a half again today although I did not want to. I might have to take another later. I was calculating and thinking if I can get by on 1/2 a day and none on the weekends, I will not use all of the 20 pills in less than 30 days.

I might have to go to the rheumy for it since he was willing to give the Klonopin at the low dose. Maybe he will go for Xanax at .25 only and there will be days I will not need them, I am sure.

Still struggling, have a big stressor coming up so I am sure that has something to do with it.

Sonya
  6. mommy22

mommy22 New Member

I was on Xanax for a year or so (.5 mg PRN). I never became addicted and easly ceased it's use once most of my anxiety waned. I never had "attacks" like some others have, but i would get myself worked up and felt like i was literally insane. If a dr. would have denied me the peace in a pill at that time, i'd a punched him in the face. A successful dr/patient relationship is just that. One side cannot always be at the wheel. You can also check w/drug companies about helping to pay for med. I don't knwo exactly how it works or if they all participate. My sister and her husband found out about this by total accident about a year ago. Even though he was going through very expensive treatment, no one at the hospital (Duke) mentioned this. Another patient told them adn they wound up getting treatment ($800 a pop) paid for by the drug co. Good luck to you and don't let any dr. deny you comfort and peace. Sonya