The Arthritis Foundation - Seven studies to focus on FMS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by MemoryLane, May 28, 2003.

1. MemoryLane

MemoryLane Member

Making a Difference

The Arthritis Foundation is currently funding seven studies focused on fibromyalgia, representing a total commitment of nearly $1.6 million.

<B>Delivering on the Promise in Fibromyalgia</B>

1. Mind-Body Interactions (2 studies)
    2. Extent of Memory Problems in Fibromyalgia
    3. Treatment Options
    4. Helping People Take Control
    5. Role of Neuropeptides
    6. Pain Sensitivity

Research Progress

The causes, underlying pathologic processes, and optimal treatment of fibromyalgia are not yet well understood. There is increasing evidence that abnormalities of the nervous system involving heightened pain perception play a role in its development. The pain intensity that people with fibromyalgia report correlates with changes that can be detected in the brain. Researchers are focusing on trying to better understand the role of chemicals such as hormones and neuropeptides, which convey pain messages from nerve cells to the spinal cord and the brain. Two such chemicals shown to be altered in fibromyalgia are substance P, which initiates pain signals after injury, and serotonin, which tones down the intensity of pain signals. Studies have shown elevated levels of substance P and low levels of serotonin in people with fibromyalgia.

Investigators have also found alterations in the stress response of people with fibromyalgia. The stress response is a mechanism that allows for interactions between the brain and body to help people respond to physical and emotional challenges.

Researchers are also interested in examining in the role of environmental factors in fibromyalgia. Fibromyalgia can be triggered by musculoskeletal pain due to arthritis or injury. Almost 20 percent of people with rheumatic diseases, such as systemic lupus, osteoarthritis or rheumatoid arthritis, also have fibromyalgia. Certain types of infections, such as Lyme disease, can also trigger fibromyalgia. Ongoing research aims to determine what factors may make certain people susceptible to fibromyalgia.

Behavioral research has begun to identify important non-drug approaches to fibromyalgia treatment such as using behavioral therapy to enhance coping skills, instituting an exercise program, or improving sleep habits to help improve quality of life. Determining new and optimal treatments for fibromyalgia is an important part of the research effort.

2. totteacher

totteacher New Member

Thanks for posting this!! It wasn't too long ago that I received an email from the Arthritis foundation asking me to email my congressman to help alocate money for research. I received a letter from my congressman stating that money, indeed, had been alocated to the Arthritis foundation. I am so happy that they are going to launch these studies!! Maybe they will find some answers as well as "legitimize" (is there such a word?) fibromyalgia.

Totteacher
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Lord knows, we need some research into our illnesses. I hope these studies turn up some useful info.

Love, Mikie
  4. healing

healing New Member

that is the burning question!
  5. MemoryLane

MemoryLane Member

The studies are being done at different Universities and Yes, some are looking for subjects. You will have to check the Arthritis Foundation website for the studies.

Lane
  6. healing

healing New Member

I'll check it out.
  7. garyandkim

garyandkim New Member

We are also interested in seeing where these studies are being done. Would love to get many of us involved. Will check out the site.

Thank you, Kim and Gary
  8. lassiecass

lassiecass New Member

Hi Lane,
    Thanks again for a great post. This is good news, hope they come up with something in one of these studies. Thank you for all the info you feed us, it is a comfort to one and all.
    Soft Hugs,
    Sandy (Cass)

[ advertisement ]