The Autoimmune Epidemic anyone read this?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Frannie17, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Frannie17

Frannie17 New Member

Hi All:

I belong to One Spirit book club and saw a book listed this month called "The Autoimmune Epidemic" by Donna Nakazawa. Has anyone read this? And what did you think of it if you did?

Frannie

2. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

Hi Frannie,

I got this book out of the library last week. It looks to be pretty well-researched & foot-noted -- more so than some of the "pop med" books out there.

Personally I found it sort of a review, but then I try to keep up on research.

It's a highly readable book. If you are wondering about making the investment, maybe peruse it at your public lib first.

Best wishes.
  3. victoria

victoria New Member

I will have to try to get it...

Wonder what/how many possible causes they survey.

4. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

The main thrust is that chemicals & viruses can induce autoimmunity in those with genetic predispositions to autogenicity.

There is a fairly long chapter on scientific research that holds promise, and another chapter on shielding your body from those things that tend to trigger autoimmunity.

But it's a book focused on "standard" autoimmune diseases -- diabetes, lupus, etc. Not much targetted to fibro & CFS.

Best wishes.
  5. Frannie17

Frannie17 New Member

hmmmm... maybe I will check it out at the lib first before I buy it. It sounds kind of interesting though. Thanks for all the opinions :)

Frannie

6. Frannie17

Frannie17 New Member

I wish they would have included fibro in it. Oh, well. But it sounds interesting anyway. I think I might read it because all the autoimmune diseases have so many similar symptoms.

Frannie