Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kjade, Jul 24, 2009.

1. kjade

kjade New Member

On Monday when I went to the Dr and was told I was 4-5 cm, DH got really nervous. He kept telling me we needed to get to the hospital right away. He was so nervous because he was working an hour away, and he was afraid I would go into labor while he was at work. On Tuesday (my official due date) I had some cramping all day, but no contractions or anything. It was also getting very difficult to walk. When he got home from work, he really started to make me a nervous wreck, since he was so nervous. We had to run to the store and he finally talked me into going to the hospital. I figured it was time anyway, even though nothing else was happening, and I didn't think I was in labor. The more nervous I got, the more pain I started having. My father-in-law rushed over to pick up my kids and I called my Dr. I was so bummed because my Dr wasn't on call - I talked to her partner, who I had never even met. So I knew there was a good chance my Dr (who I knew and loved) would not be there to deliver my baby. So I took a shower and we headed to the hospital.

We had to go in through the ER since it was after hours, and they took us up to L&D. I got checked in around 10:30 and spent the next hour answering questions and stuff. After I got into my gown and they started my IV, I told DH I really wasn't ready to do this. LOL. The Dr came in (she was really nice and all, but I was so upset my Dr wasn't there.) They knew I wanted an epidural, so the Dr checked me and said I was still 5 cm - she said they would get me the epidural in about 30 mins...I had to wait until I had a full bag of IV fluid first. As we were sitting there, I remembered my other labors and births, and I started to get more nervous. I kept telling DH I didn't want to go through with it. Haha....

So the Dr came back about an hour later and broke my water. At that point, I was already 7 cm, and I started getting really strong contractions. I was terrified I would have another fast, painful labor like my last one, and I wouldn't have time for the epidural. DH kept telling me to page the nurse and tell them to hurry up, but I didn't want to bother them. I was so happy though, because when they broke the water, they said the fluid was clear. My last one had meconium, and I didn't want to go through that again either. They had to put me on a bedpan, because there was so much water pouring out, and I couldn't stand up or anything. I had to sit there and fill out TONS of paperwork for the epidural and the pain was getting more and more intense. I knew I was having strong contractions, but I didn't tell the nurse b/c I was afraid she'd tell me it was too late for the epi again. So FINALLY, the anesthesiologist came in. He just kept yacking away about the medication and what I was supposed to feel and blah, blah.....Since I was sitting up straight, I REALLY started to feel a LOT of pressure and pain, and just kept praying he would hurry up! He was busy putting tape all over my back, and he finally put the first needle in, which REALLY hurt and made me tense up bad. Something just didn't feel right to me - I have had 2 epidurals before, and I don't remember them feeling that way.

My back was killing me, and the pain was shooting into my legs. It took him quite a long time to finish up......I was just so grateful it was finally done. They checked me again and I was 8 cm. I knew it would go fast after that. The fluid was still pouring out (which I felt) and it was really uncomfortable. Suddenly, I felt a REALLY strong contraction (which I knew I shouldn't have felt). Out of nowhere, nurses and Drs came running into the room. I knew something was wrong, but they were all trying to act like everything was ok. The anesthesiologist ran over and told me to get on my side and they put the oxygen mask on me. They were trying to get the baby's heartbeat back I assumed something was wrong with the baby. The Dr asked me if I felt ok and if I felt like I was going to throw up. Then I heard them say the baby was ok, but they kept telling me to breathe into the mask and brought me a tray to throw up in. I suddenly felt REALLY sick and thought I was going to pass out. I couldn't breathe and my heart was racing. I glanced over at DH and he looked terrified. The anesthesiologist quickly put some medication in my IV. I had no idea what was going on.

I guess at that point, my blood pressure had dropped to 50/30 and the baby's heartbeat had dropped to 60 bpm. I started shaking uncontrollably. They explained that I had a reaction to the epidural, and they had to spend the next hour trying to get my blood pressure back up. I was really freaking out, but I was more concerned about the baby...they explained the baby was probably lying on the cord, and the blood supply was cut off, and the baby didn't handle that strong contraction very well. Thankfully, I was ok after about an hour, but my contractions had stopped completely. So they decided to start Pitocin. I was able to feel the contractions at that point, and I started to feel a LOT of pressure. DH kept telling me again to call the nurse so I finally did. She checked and I was 10 cm. She told me she'd call the Dr, but I already felt so much pressure and knew the baby was coming out. She told me not to push and just breathe. That was so difficult.

So the Dr finally came in and quickly got her "catching gear" on. LOL It REALLY hurt at that point....she said the head was right there and the baby had a lot of hair. So they had me start weak as I was at that point, I was trying as hard as I could to get the baby out. It was so intense. I was shaking so badly at that point. Then I heard them say the head was out, and they were suctioning the mouth and nose. I knew only a couple more pushes and the baby would be out. Then suddenly I felt the whole body come out, and I looked down, and I heard them say "THERE SHE IS"!! And they put her right up on my chest. OMG!!! She was PERFECT!!! I was crying and kissing her, and I couldn't believe she was finally here!! I looked at DH and he was smiling and laughing. Then I heard the baby cry. What a true miracle!! She was nice and pink and had a head of dark hair. They took her to clean her up and measure her and all that. I was completely exhausted but thrilled and happy beyond belief. She was 7 lbs, 9 oz and 19 3/4 in long. She is beautiful......

We are home now, and I am so tired!! But she is such a good baby, and so far things are going ok.
  2. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

Yahoo Kjade, I am so happy for you and your family. You are so blessed and you are right, she is a miracle from God!!!! Thank you for coming on here to tell all your friends as soon as you could. We have all been on pins and needles wondering if it was a boy or girl. A beautiful baby girl, how wonderful. Did you decide on a name for your beautiful little girl???

Love you and take care and enjoy!!!!!!!!!

[This Message was Edited on 07/24/2009]
  3. jole

jole Member

Such a relief that all is okay...and you are home! Enjoy that blessed little girl....she is lucky to have you for her mommy!!
  4. kjade

kjade New Member

Awww...thanks ladies. I feel so lucky and so blessed to have 4 beautiful healthy children. Our family is complete, I think. 2 boys and 2 is a little chaotic right now, but she seems to fit in perfectly already.
    We named her Sydney Rose. :)
    I am trying to download some pics of her, so I will put one in my profile as soon as I can. She is a beautiful precious little angel!!

The pediatrician came in before we were discharged to tell us she has an abdominal hernia, which really worries me. She said it is something she was born with. We have to keep an eye on it, to make sure it never protrudes too much because if it does, she could need emergency surgery. We have to take her to the Dr tomorrow to have it checked so I pray everything will be ok.
  5. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Gee, that was a long story. So sorry you had to go through soe of those scary experiences but so HAPPY that you decided to go to the hospital when you did. That way you didn't have to worry about your other children, your DH was athere for you and everything did come out wonderful. I am sure you forgot (almost) all the discomfort and scary experiences after you finally got to see and hold her,

We are all thrilled as we have been waiting on pins and needles if you read your old thread. Yes, have you decided on the name yet. Going to paint the nursery pink now ?? See SURPRISE, SURPRISE !! I know how you must feel as I had 4 girls and then 5 years later after the last girl we finally had a BOY. GEEZ, it took long enough :) !! Were we thrilled and excited. That pregnancy was also a BIG SURPRISE.

Well, sweetie go rest and come back when you can. Give that little one an extra hug and kiss from all of us here on the Boards. Also a big hug for you sweetie. ((((KJADE)))

[This Message was Edited on 07/24/2009]
  6. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

Oh what a beautiful name Kjade. I love it!!!!!!!! I will also put baby Sydney on our prayer list here at work that everything is okay, the power of prayer is so strong. I have always wanted 2 girls and 2 boys, well, i have my 2 girls, now i just need 2 boys. LOL

Take care,

7. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Didn't I tell you the odds were that you would have a girl!!

Try to get a lot of rest, yeah right. Don't you love it when they say don't push!!

Again, congrats to your family. I am so glad everything is okay.

Take care.

8. Granniluvsu

Her name is really nice and I especially love the name Rose which is my middle name as well as my aunt and my grandmother that died when myh mom and aunt were small children in CZ.

More later. Drop by if you ever have a minute to yourself :) !!!!

9. Juloo

Juloo Member

I'm so glad you're all home and together again. You'll be happy you wrote all this down -- I have so much amnesia from my labor and delivery, and parts of it are rather hazy.

Enjoy your beautiful baby girl!
  10. sisland

sisland New Member

Thanks for taking us along on this beautiful journey with you all,,,,we feel blessed to say the least!,,,,Sydney Rose is a beautiful name!,,,but i'm particial because Sydney is my first name,,,lolol,,,,my middle name is embarrassing so you know it's not Rose!,,,,,,Sydney is a good name!

I'm sooooo happy for you!,,,sorry to hear of the complications with the epidural!,,,,,But all turned out very well sounds like!

Your a strong woman and a great Mom ,,,,God Bless you all,,,,,,Sis
  11. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

How exciting! We have gone through every step of your pregnancy and are thrilled with the fact that the precious little girl has arrived.

God's blessing to both of you and Syndey Rose is a beautiful name.

Luve to both,

12. kjade

kjade New Member

Thank you all so much!!!! You are all so sweet! I am so happy I was able to share this entire experience with everyone!! Thank you for all of the kind words and the congrats!!

I have finally uploaded a picture of her!! It is in my profile. My 7 y/o son actually took this picture, and although I have tons of pics, this one is my favorite. I love her little hat she got at the hospital..
  13. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

What a beautiful baby, what a beautiful name. So glad you both are happy and healthy. Glad all is well for the two of you as well as the rest of your family!!

All the best,

14. Granniluvsu

her rosey complection is perfect for her name (or is it the opposite way around). I'd like to kiss those little pink ROSEY cheeks !!

More later. The picture is just perfect and SOOOOO CUTE ! Where did she get that hat? It looks knitted or crocheted?? If you mentioned it I donlt remember reading it. I think you mentioned the hat but that is all I remember.

15. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

There is still hope for the future.

This tired, ol' world is all fresh & new again.

Love conquers all...

16. mysticbrit

mysticbrit New Member

I couldn't be happier for you. And such a beautiful name. I bet your other kids are just loving their new little sister.

Now get some rest (when you can). I can't believe you're home already. When I had my two I got a whole week of rest in the hospital. Times are changing since those dark ages I guess.

Tons for hugs for you and yours.

Just get a chance to see the pic, she is an adorable little girl. If we lived closer I'd be happy to pop in and give you some rest while I teneded to her. Love holding little babes.[This Message was Edited on 07/25/2009]
  17. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

Oh Kjade, she is absolutely adorable. I am so glad you were able to load a picture. Give her kisses for me!!!!!!!
  18. springwater

springwater Active Member

Wow, awesome! The miracle of birth...that is a beautiful little baby girl you got there, kjade.

May she be blessed with every good that is on earth.

God Bless
  19. kjade

kjade New Member

The hat we got at the hospital was made by volunteers - I love those hats! I like the little frills on hers. I am going to try and change the picture later...I have so many good ones!

We are doing pretty good. I am still very sore but I am starting to feel a little better. I have had a bad headache for a couple days...I think it's from the epidural.

We took her to the Dr this am, and she was perfect. They said we really don't need to worry too much about the hernia, that it should correct itself on it's own. She lost a couple ounces, which is normal, but she should be gaining that back in no time. She sleeps a lot during the day. She got up almost every hour last night. I don't get why they sleep so much during the day and want to be awake all night!! Oh well...I know it will pass. I just hope I have the energy to do this again!!

Thanks again so much for the notes and love and wishes!! I have so enjoyed sharing this with you all!! :)
  20. ckball

ckball New Member

What a beautiful little girl you have-oh she is precious and that name just fits hers, love the hat. A few months ago i was at a gathering where someone had a 6 week old girl and I got to hold her for a while. I didn't want to give her back-lol.

Cherish every moment, they go too quickly, I hope all her bros and sis love thier new baby sis. Sorry I know you have 3 but can't remeber what they are :)

Best wishes to you and your family-Carla