The Band Old Hippies

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Rosiebud, May 11, 2007.

1. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I'm listening to The Band with the beautiful Robbie Robertson - takes me way back.

Anyone remember them???

2. budmickl

budmickl New Member

I do! But then I'm old enough that my (then) husband was about to be drafted for the Viet Nam war.

I loved that movie and soundtrack!

ps Found it! The Weight[This Message was Edited on 05/11/2007]
  3. Fmandy

Fmandy New Member

I saw a special not long ago on one of the cable channels (can't remember which...) that showed the film made of a tour that American rock bands took through Canada, shortly after Woodstock in 1070, I believe.

Some Canadians rioted a bit because admission was charged. I think they were thinking Woodstock was totally free, but they did sell tickets until they ran out I think, lol.

The producer of the tour slugged a Canadian mayor when the mayor called him an sob, ha ha ha.

Anyway there was Janice Joplin, The Grateful Dead, Sha Na Na, The Band, and I forget....Most of the film was shot on the train and was terrific! They had the whole train to themselves. They went from east to west across Canada.

Janice and Jerry Garcia were very young and were singing, drinking and smoking doobies.....Ah for the bad good ole days :)

4. budmickl

budmickl New Member

I saw that too! I loved it because it had a lot of Janis Joplin in it. There isn't a lot of footage about her.

[This Message was Edited on 05/11/2007]
  5. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I was only 5 or 6 when The Band was popular, but I enjoy them now, as well as a lot of music from the early 70s. They used to back up Bob Dylan and then struck out on their own. A few years ago, "The Weight" was used in a commercial:

Take a load off, Fannie
    Take a load for free
    Take a load off, Fannie,
    And, and, and, you can put the load right on me!

I also like their version of "The Night they Drove Ol' Dixie Down."

There's a classic film by Martin Scorsese called The Last Waltz, showing The Band in concert.

Robbie Robertson, The Band's guitarist, is still around, making music. He performed at the opening ceremony of the 2000 Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City, and does a lot of contemporary/Native American music.
  6. kholmes

kholmes New Member

The Festival Express!

I saw that a while back, too. Lots of great footage of The Grateful Dead and Janis Joplin on the train, riding across Canada. I loved when they just sat around and played and sang on the train, and the punching out of the mayor was hilarious!
  7. budmickl

budmickl New Member

I haven't heard of the documentary (The Last Waltz) but now I think I might visit Block Buster and check it out. Thanks!

8. Fmandy

Fmandy New Member

I am from the heart of Dixie and I love Joan Baez's version of "The Night They Drove Ol' Dixie Down."

It really is not politically correct at all, yet it tells the sobering truth about events such as Sherman's march to the sea. I remember when it first came out.

It was a folk song and I have never heard anyone of the music industry or any media discuss the meaning of the words of the song, yet it is so true and touching.

If you stand back and remove all moral issues and other reasons for war, and simply look at what happened to the not-combatants in the South, it was horrendous.

Grant telegraphed Sherman and ask about supplies for Sherman's army. Sherman's famous reply was something like "food shipments? We don't need any food shipments. These southerners have food for us to eat."

So goes the song...

In my home town there is a historical marker that tells of the northern troops invading the little city and the general in charge, who was of Russian decent, gave the order that the troops had two hours to rape and pillage the town. He was tried and found not guilty of war crimes after the war.

A very old house still stands where a beautiful southern Lady pulled a Colt 44 from her panty loomers and blew the brains from a yankee captain who was attempting to rape her. She was immediately hung outside the house. The house is said to be haunted.

P.S. Sorry Rosie to get off topic! It's Ken's fault!!!!
    Yes the war is over and I love you all :)
  9. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I saw The Last Walz - fabulous but not the Festival Express.

Lived on the west coast then of Canada in those days, wonderful music, Taj Mahal another favourite.

I always thought Robbie Robertson had Scottish ancestry re his very Scots name but he was born in Ontario to a Mowhawk Mum and Jewish Dad though there still might be some Scots in there somewhere. Think I'll check out some of his recent music you mention Ken.

The civil war.....horrendous, what war isnt, but I have to say some wonderful music came from it.

[This Message was Edited on 05/12/2007]
  10. kholmes

kholmes New Member

You've all got me listening to The Band again.

Budmickl: You're welcome!

Rosie: I was surprised to find out that Robbie Robertson was native as well. Does sound like a Scottish name, doesn't it?

Andy: That was fascinating. I'll have to listen to the lyrics more closely, in light of what you wrote.
    Have you ever seen the film, Sherman's March? It's a documentary about a guy (filmmaker Ross Macalwee) who sets off to film a documentary about Sherman's March, but then makes it about his own failed relationships and quest for love in the south. It's a really good film, actually.

11. Fmandy

Fmandy New Member

but just had to try to reply :) The song I was speaking of, doesn't mention Sherman or his march I am almost positive. The words of the song do mention the hardships of having to try to live after the union army had taken the very best. So, the extreme of "taking, and driving ole Dixie down" was Sherman's march to the sea. Remember he burned Atlanta as well as most cities and towns he went through. He was the most despised man in the south after the war. I will try to find the words to the song and post them :)

I would love to see the film "Sherman's March" as long as it doesn't show Sherman's march, lol...I will do my best to find it or read about it. My memory is so bad that I may have seen it, but just do not remember it :) I think Rock and I have at least one thing in common.

The Night They Drove Ole Dixie Down
    The Band, Bob Dylan
    Virgil Caine is the name and I served on the Denver train
    Stoneman's cavalry came and tore up the tracks again
    In the winter of '65 we was hungry, just barely alive
    By May 10, Richmond had fell, it was a time I remember,
    Oh so well

The night they drove ole Dixie down, all the bells were ringing
    The night they drove ole Dixie down, all the people were singing
    Na, na na na na na na, na na na na na na, na na na na na na

Back with my wife in Tennessee one day she called for me
    Virgil quick come see there goes the "Robert E. Lee"
    I don't mind chopping wood and I don't care
    If the money's no good
    Take what you need and leave the rest
    They should never have taken the very best

Like my father before me, I'm a peaceful man
    Like my brother before me, I took a rebel stand
    Just 18, proud and gray, but a Yankee laid him in his grave
    Swear by the blood running through (on) my feet
    You can't raise a Caine back up when he's in defeat

I found a critique on the film you mentioned and the movie. I have to get it:

I intended to watch only the first ten or fifteen minutes of this film, on a recommendation by a professor. I ended up watching the whole 2 hours 40 minutes, engrossed at every turn. I don't know why this film is so good; by all rationale, it probably ought to have turned out to be dull and pretentious.

Instead, Sherman's March is an incredibly patient and passionate examination of oneself, the pain and frustration that come with mid-life depression, and the quasi-comic mystery surrounding Southern culture. I don't often find myself so enveloped in documentaries, particularly those that stop pursuing their apparent narrative ten minutes in and take on a totally new and divergent direction.

But this film works. In filming his relationships with a number of different women over the course of a year, McElwee reveals himself to be a deeply frustrated individual, whose penchant for chasing life with a camera proves both constructive of an insightful film, as well as destructive to his own sense of balance and structure in his own life. The result is often funny, occasionally discomforting, and periodically profound.
  12. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Thanks for posting the lyrics. Is the "Robert E. Lee" mentioned in the song the train? I like the pun on Caine in the last verse, and the narrative the lyrics tell. What a great song. I can't think of many songs that give the southern perspective on an event in the Civil War.

Ross McElwee made another documentary recently about his great grandfather, who was a tobacco producer in North Carolina. It's called Bright Leaves, and it's just as good as Sherman's March. It's about coming to terms with his family legacy of tobacco, and how it can be such a destructive product.

[This Message was Edited on 05/14/2007]
  13. kholmes

kholmes New Member

of "The Night They Drove Ol' Dixie Down" online:

Johnny Cash, Joan Baez, the Marshall Tucker Band, the Grateful Dead.

Looks like a lot of artists have covered that clsssic song. The Band's is the best, but Johnny Cash's is great, too.
    [This Message was Edited on 05/14/2007]