The best thing I've ever done to help with this disease.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cjcookie, Sep 19, 2005.

1. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

I can't believe how much my new puppy has helped me feel mentally better. I carry him around and hold him and hug him and feel so much better. I was never a pet person and this is my first dog. I remember thinking how gross it was when I saw people hugging and kissing their pets and now I can't stop hugging and kissing Mugsy.

The only thing that scares me is I keep thinking, what if something happens to him. Is he eating enough, is he okay? I guess it's just like having a baby.

I thoroughly recommend a puppy baby to anyone that needs a boost.

I'll try to post a picture soon.
  2. Beckula

Beckula New Member

I may never have children (my hubby and I are undecided), but seriously, my dog is like my baby. I even call her "my baby" sometimes. I have a shitzu/chihuahua mix and her pic is in my profile.

I have a cat, too, but it really helps to have the dog:) She always makes me smile and is great company!
  3. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

Mine is a Shih Tsu. The mix is great and adorable!
  4. orachel

orachel New Member

I'm so so so thrilled for you! There have been studies after studies after studies that PROVE that there is true healing emotional (and seems to effect physical too!) benefit to our beloved animals.

I've never been super fond of the term, but I believe the fact that so many pets' people call them "furbabies" explains your concern. I'm same way...my HUGE FLUFFY BEAST of a cat, BEATRIX is amazing and quite frankly my only companion at all during vast majority of daytime weekdays (why do ya'll think I'm here so much?! I'm usually either here, or researching FM and homoepathic/herbal options...I can't work, so I try to spend as much time as possible making "WELLNESS" and self discovery my job! lol But, due to physical limitations, can't sit or stand for long...ya'll should see me over here...when I'm on line more than 10-20 mins at a stretch, I have to shift position sit stand arch back, hunch back...all sorts of wacky contortions to keep myself from seizing up completely and giving me the flare of a lifetime! But its all worth it for the support and info I get here...

cjcookie...talk to your puppy...though I'm sure you already do...my cat (I swear to goodness) can recognize just the tone and inflection of about 100 things I say to her, and behaves accordingly...its amazing!!! And also, she has an INNATE sense of when I'm at my worst...she's usually pretty self sufficient (I'll do my thing, you do yours, but isn't it great we're doing it right close to each other?) kind of an animal...but when I'm really really at my worst, she literally jumps right up and lays her whole 25lbs right next to my heart. Its the most amazing thing. And, she did this long before I became chronically ill....before FM, when I was out and about in the world bigtime and was sick with flu or something, she reacted the same way....Just incredibly intuitive.

Do a little research on "pet abilites" if you really want to be blown away...they have dogs and cats (and even baby chics and stuff) in some terminal wards in hospitals for children and seniors, especially...there has been bizarre and seemingly miraculous recoveries that are attributed to the "closeness" and "connection" with the animals.

Just remember...."You can love your dog.......just don't LOOOOVE your dog!"...one of my favorite quotes from funny movie "truth about cats and dogs". If you haven't seen it, do! Quote refers to dude who allows his big ole' doggie to lick his (persons!!!) face for hours on end, and wacky dude wonders why he's got a rash!!! That is good for a huge giggle!!!

Hope you continue to give and get love every single day from your new arrival!!! Also, there's a hysterical show called "the pet psychic"...think its on animal planet network. There is a woman who claims to be able to literally READ MINDS of almost all animals. I usually think this kinda stuff is total complete bunkola (or at least that most of the self proclaimed "psychics" aren't), but this woman has done some incredible stuff like curing "phobias" and "traumas" that animal owners (not my favorite term!) have been worried about for years, such as feather pulling, dragging rump, etc for all species of pets literally on the spot by havin a little chat with these animals! Kinda bizarre, but oddly compelling. Plus, is also VERY funny from time to time.

Hugs to you (and "belly rubs" to your puppy! LOL)
    Rachel
  5. Leenerbups

Leenerbups New Member

Have gotten me through 2 divorces and are a comfort as I live with this illness. They truly are a gift. I can't imagine life without them.
  6. nje

nje New Member

I have 2 dauchaunds and 2 outside dogs;1 is a big black doberman (who scares the pants off people) but wouldn`t hurt a fly. i also have a husky mix. i love all 4 of them so much,i call all of them my babies. unfortunately i can`t keep them in the house next to me;as the big ones are really outside dogs. the 2 dauc. i keep on my built-in front porch,its almost like them being inside.

before we moved into this house which my mom left me when she died in 2000; we always let the 2 daushaunds stay inside
    now my female,she is well trained to go outside to use the bathroom,but my male is a stubborn little cuss. he cocks his leg anywhere,lol so when we moved out here into my moms nice home,we just let them stay on the built-in front porch
    they have heat in the winter and cool in the summer. but i miss them ;especially Gretchen my female who i`ve had longer than any of them;being in my bed with me,but i can`t very well bring her in and leave my male-Smoky on the porch
    he`d be so hurt,trust me dogs have feelings too. but my Gretchen is sooo smart,its scary. she knows exactly what i tell her to do. also she has this adorable way of standing on her hind paws,and i mean for as long as she wants,she has done this every since we got her at age 10 weeks. she`s getting on up there in age,i really can`t stand the thoughts of losing her or my others;they all have different personalities,and they all love me so much.even when i`m in a flare-up,if i hadn`t saw them in a day or so,i`ll drag myself out there to give all of them a hug and kiss and tell them mommys sick and will make it up to all of them

Am i crazy or what? my hubby and son will feed them,they might (on a good day) give them a pat on the head,and thats after i`ve begged them too because i was too sick to get to them that day. men,at least those at my house don`t understand that a dog needs affection as much as they need food. they have feelings just ;like we do. it bothers me so much when i can`t get out there and play with them,because they do help. they brighten up when they see me coming.

oh that wonderful unconditional love that pets have. they are good for the sick,elderly and children sick or not sick.

well i`ve went on long enough,enjoy that puppy,puppies are so-so adorable, you can train them to understand lots of things while they are young. i wish you and your puppy lots of wonderful times together and i know she or he will be good therapy for this disease. ((((hugs to puppy and you)))
    NJE