"The Biggest Medical Discovery of Our Lifetimes:Finding the Cure For Chronic Disease"

Discussion in 'News and Research' started by Nanie46, Nov 8, 2013.

1. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

2. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Good article, Nanie. It really is just common sense. I think many if not most of us on the board have learned the narrow limits of traditional medicine and it's symptom-masking drug-taking style of treatment, which does not address root causes. And then often more drugs are prescribed to deal with symptoms from the first drugs, and on and on.

There's a link in the article to functionalmedicine.org, which has a search feature under "functional medicine resources" near the top of the page, where you can find functional medicine doctors in your area.

I think these are the same as integrative medicine doctors, and there's another good website, acam.org for IM doctors, which has a search feature under "health resources" where you can find practitioners in your area.

Mary
    Nanie46 likes this.
  3. jaminhealth

jaminhealth Well-Known Member

I only see Integrative MD's and when I think of all the WONDERFUL helpful info on the net, it's astounding. And all the great health forums and so many people helping others......jam
    Nanie46 likes this.
  4. IanH

IanH Active Member

I do agree with the thesis of "finding the root cause". However in practice patients are constantly wanting treatments to reduce their symptoms. Ten years ago ME/CFS was just a bunch of symptoms, now we know that parts of the immune system are dysfunctional, the many parts of the central nervous system is dysfunctional, the gut is disturbed, cellular homeostasis is disturbed with mitochondrial dysfunction, neuro-muscular function is affected, blood flow is affected. We not just assuming these from symptoms anymore, they have been "seen" in the physiology or the biochemistry.

In ME/CFS nothing is yet known of the cause(s) and it will be while before they are known. In the meantime research goes on. The good research looks at various aspects of the biochemistry without any indication of treatments. In fact prematurely taking treatments from early research can be quite damaging to patients especially when the immune system is being treated. A good example is the use of rituximab for ME/CFS. Bad treatment! However there are many patients calling out for this treatment in order to reduce their symptoms.

In all likelhood at least some of what we call ME/CFS will be an infectious cause, probably arising in the gut just as Rheumatoid arthritis is an infectious disease but it is complicated and the infection and its sequelae are very hidden.
    I believe all so-called auto-immune diseases will have infectious origins but unfortunately as the disease progresses the infectious cause may disappear and so an antibiotics to remove the original agent(s) will not effect a cure.
    dannybex and bct like this.
  5. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

In general, it has been my observation that many people want the "quick fix" that requires no sacrifice on their part. They do not want to change their lifestyle, diet or anything else, so they accept the pharmaceuticals that their Doctors prescribe and assume that the problem(s) will be fixed by these meds.

I agree, Ian, that all autoimmune diseases will be found to have infectious causes. My Lyme literate MD thinks the same thing.

Even if Doctors don't know the exact trigger for a person's ME/CFS, I think it would be very wise to take a step by step approach such as the one Thyroid Pharmacist, Dr Izabella Wentz recommends for healing from Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, an autoimmune disorder.

By doing this, one will eventually find triggers, root causes, etc and may start recovering.

I follow "Thyroid Pharmacist, Dr Izabella Wentz" on facebook and she also has a website that gives good information. Her goal is to help people find the root cause of their Hashimoto's.

Today on fb she posted about "Overcoming thyroid fatigue". She gives very detailed info that makes sense. On her website, http://www.thyroidlifestyle.com/ , she gives great info , especially under the "BLOG" heading.

I really believe that much of this information can apply to anyone with chronic fatiguing illnesses.

I did not know until recently that I also have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. I was surprised to find that out, although I am not sure why, after having chronic Lyme and other tick-borne diseases for many years.

Many Doctors do not test Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies. Other Doctors do not understand the root cause concept and just stick their patients on thyroid meds and never address these issues.

The concepts she presents are common sense approaches to balancing the gut, adrenals, finding food triggers and other things that I think most patients with chronic illness would find helpful.

Her thinking is like that of a Functional Medicine or Integrative Medicine Dr and I appreciate her insight.
  6. jaminhealth

Nanie, I was told I had Hashi way back in 2002 or thereabouts....my numbers have been all over the place over the years, and my latest labs had a much much lower 84, still out of range, but compared to numbers over the years, much better. I take seleium daily, usually 400mcg, some days 200mcg... Brazil nuts are high in selenium but one has to eat a lot of those big nuts.... so I don't bother....

Also, Anatabloc does a big job on TPO's...... Iodine works for me too.....so whatever is working, I'm doing it all...at one time I had a high 841 thinking back. jam
  7. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

jam,

Glad to hear your number is lower. I also take selenium, 200 mcg. That is the recommended dose according to Dr Izabella Wentz. Iodine makes my Thyroid Peroxidase Antibody (TPOAb) go WAY up, so I have to avoid it. That is the case with a number of people with Hashimoto's. Dr Wentz has blogged about it on her fb page and on her website. I noticed that my moderately controlled hot flashes (I use bioidentical hormones) have almost completely stopped in the past few weeks. I have been taking generic Cytomel 5 mcg, and selenium 200 mcg for 2 months.
    I am thinking about getting Dr Wentz's new book about finding the root cause(s) of one's Hashimoto's.
  8. jaminhealth

I think inflammation is the root case of Hashi, uncontrolled chronic inflammation.....so many, I'm sure, have this issue but their MD's don't test....thank goodness for my integrative MD's.....maybe I know too much.....actually, I feel pretty good all in all, just the G.D. joint mess....

So many have "their" comments on issues, I've been on 2 thyroid groups over the years and MOST talk about 400mcg selenium, I alternate now, 400 one day 200mcg the next day. And I'm pretty sure the anatabloc knocked out a lot of "hidden" inflammation. I still take Abloc, but 4 per day now, and added Zyflamend some months ago....Abloc stopped working as good as it did for at least 4 months, Iodine has been OK for my TPO's as I take it MOSTLY for breast health, keeping breasts pain free. But I do take Armour which is T4 and T3.....at one point along the way before I got it "right" I took cytomel only and had to stop, wasn't doing anything for me.
  9. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

I was just looking at my labs. My TPO went from 59 to 94 when I took iodine (Lugol's solution) for 2 months.

Here is Izabella Wentz, PharmD's blog about "Nutrient Depletions in Hashimoto's: Part 1: Selenium:
    http://www.thyroidlifestyle.com/#!page4/cfvg

There is lots of good info on her site.
  10. jaminhealth

Nani46, I guess some don't do well with Iodine and Hashi....we are all so complex and many of us take more thyroid med...that could make things different too. When I see your Hashi numbers they are so low when I recall mine over the years which were as high as 841 at a point when I did the TPO test....I'm so happy to be down to 84 NOW.....

Your Hashi numbers were pretty darn low to begin with since range is 0-34 and when I was first given that test I was about 241 thinking back to my memory. Hashi is basically thyroid inflammation. jam
  11. lkears11

lkears11 Member

Medication is not always the simple answer you think it is. With such complex systems altering them slightly can have huge effects. So spending a lot of time "getting to the root" of the problem is great. Unfortunatly doctors will never have the time to do this and just prescribe the closest to hand drug. I feel the patient must do more research, then they will understand more clearly any meds given to them may get to the root of the problem.