"THE BODY'S GRACE" NPR PROGRAM THIS WEEK

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Marta608, Oct 4, 2006.

1. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Friends, I often listen to an NPR (National Public Radio) program and receive previews of the week's topic. I'm very interested in this one and thought some of you might too. You can reach the link to listen to the program or find out where to tune to the program on your nearest NPR station by going to speakingoffaith.org. This is NOT a religious program, but rather it discusses many philosophies. I think they say it's about "religion, meaning, ethics and ideas". No matter, it makes you think. Here's a snip of information about this week's show. The "voice" is that of the moderator, Krista Tippett until the last paragraph.

The Body's Grace: Matthew Sanford's Story

"Here is the kind of passage — one of several Matthew reads in this program — that made me want to understand more.

'I am forced to feel death — not the end of my life, but the death of my life as a walking person. In principle my experience is not that uncommon, only more extreme. If we can see death as more than black and white, as more than on and off, there are many versions of realized death short of physically dying. The death of a loved one sets so much in motion… Then there are also the quiet deaths. How about the day you realized you weren't going to be an astronaut or the Queen of Sheba?… What about the day we began working not for ourselves, but rather with the hope that our kids might have a better life? Or the day we realized that, on the whole, adult life is deeply repetitive? As our lives roll into the ordinary, when our ideals sputter and dissipate, as we wash the dishes after yet another meal, we are integrating death, a little part of us is dying so that another part can live.'

The "mind-body connection" is a controversial phrase, a new-age notion to some, though it has been studied and described scientifically in a multitude of forms in recent years. I have spoken with scientists engaged in that work, but none of them has impressed me with the reality of the mind-body connection as Matthew Sanford does by his mere presence. "

Me again: "Quiet deaths"! Wow! I sure can relete! Haven't most of us experienced that feeling during our illness when we realize that, for this time at least, we will not climb that mountain, participate in another marathon or even run for mayor? I have great hope that we will find answers in some form that will allow us healing or at least a better quality of living but until then isn't it the "quiet deaths" that really bring us to despair?

I hope we can be encouraged by Matthew's story.

Marta
  2. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

How are you? Thanks for a great thought-provoking post! I think all of us here have experienced the "death" of our former lives, the "death" of not being able to do the things we did in our former lives. And certainly our lives are very repetitive-even for children. I do like to think, however, that when one door closes, another door opens. I believe that things happen for a reason even if we do not always know what the reason is perhaps for a long time.

Although having FMS and other health problems has certainly brought much suffering into my own life, there have been some positives, too. I have met many wonderful, inspirational people with health problems even worse than mine. I think it has made me more of a compassionate person able to understand more fully physical suffering. It has forced me to slow down and "smell the roses" instead of constantly rushing through life. It has given me a chance to try and help others with FMS, and of course, without FMS I would have never met all the wonderful people on this message board.

Ellen
  3. minkanyrose

minkanyrose New Member

Haven't looked at it that way before. I guess I have to admit that I still greive for the death of my past abilities I don't think I would have even grown old gracefully had I not had this dd.

I need to look at it in this way out with the old in with the new.

Thank you for giving me something to think about and letting go of what I can't do and thinking about the new things I can do instead.
  4. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Ellen, so good to hear from you! I think of you every time I'm on here and hope things are going a bit better down there in your part of our state. Lovely fall, don't you think?

Like you, I also believe that one door doesn't close without another opening, but it sure can be hell in the hallway if we forget that! ;>)

Minkanyrose, I'm so glad this has encouraged you to think of your illness as an opportunity rather than a death of dreams. Oh, I'm not a Pollyanna, believe me. I have my time of tears and frustration, but most of the time I try to look very closely at what is revealed to me now, that I would have been far too busy to see before. I almost always find compensation.

Marta
  5. Marta608

Marta608 Member