The Book I Took to the Chemo Hemo

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Pippi1313, May 20, 2009.

1. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

A few weeks ago, I was poking around in my favorite junk store, & bought a book for 50 cents.
    It's one of those "Chicken Soup" books. This one was "Chicken Soup for the Surviving Soul" (I'm not sure I got that title precisely correct, but I'm close).

Today, I went to my weekly hemo appointment. As I was leaving my apartment, I grabbed a book w/o even noticing which book it was. Sometimes, I have a bit of a wait at the hemo's.
    Of course, it was the "Chicken Soup" book...

My hemo is located at an oncology / chemotherapy place.

While I waited, I began reading the book. I was surprised to discover every story in the book is about peeps surviving cancer. And, the stories are very positive, uplifting, & inspiring.

When it was my turn to go to the room where they take vitals & start my chart for that visit, I laid the book in my lap (cuz I'm temporarily in the wheelchair).
    After taking care of business (& my regular joke of asking them if I'm still above room-temperature), I mentioned the book. The techs said they'd noticed it laying in my lap, with the title visible.

I told them it was all about cancer survivors, & told them I felt a very strong compulsion to ask if they knew somebody there who needed the book.
    This surprised them a bit, & they asked if I was finished with it. I replied that I was quite certain it was time to pass it on.

One tech said "hang on just a sec", & took the book.
    Having completed my vitals, I went back to the waiting area.
    A few minutes later, the tech came back with a somewhat stunned / amazed expression on her face.
    She stopped & told me she had just given the book to the chemo nurse, who (also in complete amazement) had immediately given it to a chemo patient who really, really needed it!

I think, at that point, I was the only person who wasn't surprised.
    Somehow, I just KNEW somebody there needed that book!

I know this sounds like a small thing. But it's the small "coincidences" that make life so grand!

I just wanted to share this with y'all...

2. jole

jole Member

You are truly one amazing person. Yes, I believe we are all here for a purpose, and you seem to be very open to your life purposes!

You have such a beautiful, gentle spirit***Jole***
  3. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

I overheard a quote the other day. I have no idea who first said it, but the concept fascinated me, & I thought about it all day:

"When I'm pushed to the edge, will I fall, or fly?"

Maybe our purpose is to do our best to fly, & to catch those who are falling.

4. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

what a wonderful story. You are a special lady.

thanks for sharing with us

gentle hugs , Susan
  5. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

I just wanted to say Pippi that you are such an inspiration to people here. You are always so cheerful and have the most wonderful attitude about everything.

I am really glad that you joined this site!!!!!!!

6. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

Thank you for the kind words. But it's y'all who inspire me!

I'm very very very glad to be here, & to be accepted by all of you!

GROUP HUG!!!!!!!