The Brain Boosting B-12: Hydroxocobalamin

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by Holly-Admin, Mar 21, 2014.

1. Holly-Admin

Holly-Admin Administrator

By Karen Lee Richards*

Hydroxocobalamin (hi-DROX-oh-koe-BAHL-a-min) is a natural and uniquely powerful form of vitamin B-12. Clinical studies and practice have shown it can help to improve cognitive functioning, fight fatigue, promote heart health, and more.

Vitamin B-12 is an essential nutrient needed to make red blood cells that carry oxygen throughout the body, the myelin sheath that surrounds nerve cells, and various proteins. It also plays a role in fat and carbohydrate metabolism. Yet, despite its importance to overall health, vitamin B-12 deficiency is relatively common. It is estimated that up to 15% of the general population may be deficient in B-12 - and more among those with chronic illnesses.

Continue Reading ยป

[​IMG]
  2. jaminhealth

jaminhealth Well-Known Member

This form of B12 is best.....and I know when I kinda reduced my B12 last year, homocysteine levels increased......I'm back on track and do not skip daily 1000mcg. BTW: My integrative MD is more concerned about homocysteine than cholesterol re: heart disease and therefore has been testing homo in recent years,,,,since I slacked off B12 for a while, homo levels elevated.....All so interesting for sure....I don't worry about the cholesterol "myth" as many call it in the alternative world of health. Thanks...jam
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  3. bct

bct Member

What about methyl-B12? That isn't mentioned or compared to the cyano and hydroxo forms.

Just wondering.....

Barry
  4. jaminhealth

jaminhealth Well-Known Member

To the best of my knowledge it's the Methyl cobalamin we want... Maybe there is something I don't know on this, but we mostly talk about the Methyl....thanks for bringing this up, Barry.

Just reading the homocysteine formula I take and it contains Methylcobalamin.........so it's got me confused onn the two.
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  5. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Member

I've been using methyl-B12 for the past several years as I believe that this is what Rich Van K recommended.
  6. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

There is debate as to which is more effective: hydroxocobalamin or methylcobalamin - and the answer seems to depend on each individual. You can do research on this. Rich van K. recommended trying hydooxocobalamin first, and if it didn't help, switch to methylcobalamin. And there are those who say don't bother with the hydroxocobalamin and just take methylcobalamin. I take methylcobalamin and also added in dibencozide, another form of B12, recommended by Fredd of the Phoenix Rising board, who's done a ton of research on this.

So no one seems to have a definitive answer - the recommendation seems to be see which works better for you.

Mary
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I use the methylcobalamin and have had no problems with it. My neighbor's doc told him his labs showed low B-12 and that he'd need injections when he returned home up North. She agreed that he could try the methylcobalamin B-12 and his next labwork showed his B-12 was normal. The body seems to use this type of B-12 very efficiently.

Love, Mikie