The Breakfast Shake by John Gray

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TwinMa, Dec 28, 2005.

1. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I believe this is the basis for the shake that Stormyskye uses. The ingredients listed in the book, however, are a bit different from what Stormy lists. Don’t get me wrong, I love Stormy’s shake! I just thought I’d post an abbreviated form of the original breakfast shake.

This is found in the book “The Mars & Venus Diet & Exercise Solution” by John Gray, Ph.D. It can be found on pages 210-215.

I don’t think I can retype word for word what the book says without getting into copyright issues, but here are the basics. There are seven ingredients.

1. Carbohydrates. 25 to 50 grams. Fresh or frozen fruit. Avoid packaged shakes that contain refined sugars. High quality fructose or fruit sweetened products are much better than sugar, dextrose, sucrose, malt syrup, corn syrup, high fructose or any of the sugar-free sweeteners that have aspartame or Splenda. (John Gray lists a whole page of juices, nectars and fruits and their corresponding portions and calorie counts.)

Cassava, also known as yucca, powder is also a good addition as it is a good serotonin producing food. Maca powder is an energizing food without caffeine that increases stamina and mental clarity and other symptoms of dopamine.

2. Protein powder. Find a high quality protein powder. Men generally need 13 to 30 grams of protein. Women need 10 to 20 grams. Too much protein for women may inhibit the production of serotonin. Not enough protein for men will inhibit the production of dopamine in the brain. The benefit of using a protein powder is that you can make sure you are getting all the essential amino acids while controlling the fat and carbohydrate content of the meal.

3. Flaxseeds. Grind your own. 2 T. for women and 1 T. for men. This supplies high quality omega-3 essential fatty acids. If you get a little foggy in the brain or sleepy, then you have taken too much good fat. For variety in taste, you can also add a handful of walnuts to get omega-3 fatty acids.

4. Enzymes. Add high quality full spectrum plant source enzymes from your health food store. Make sure there is a full range of different digestive enzymes.

5. Vitamins. Add a high quality multivitamin. Make sure it has a full range of B vitamins.

6. Ionic plant source trace minerals. Most important, add a generous portion of plant source trace minerals and calcium/magnesium supplements. If your mineral supplement doesn’t easily dissolve in water, it probably will not dissolve or be assimilated in your body.

7. Water and ice. Add five or six cubes of ice and 6 to 8 ounces of water and then blend your shake. If you use juice instead of water, take into consideration that juice is to be counted as a carbohydrate. Ice makes the whole mixture taste better and if you are trying to lose weight, it will help activate your metabolism.

You must drink this shake within 15 minutes of making it.

The above is from John Gray’s book. I have tried to edit a bit so it isn’t as long as the book version. If you want to see exactly what is in the book, you could do like I did, and get it from the library. Or buy one.

I’m not clear on the vitamin portion of the shake. He doesn’t get very detailed about that. It seems to me that the green food powder would work well.

Stormy, I have modified your version of the shake to get my own version, and I love it. I eat it every day. What do you think of the original version?

Katy

2. foggyfroggy

foggyfroggy Guest

Bumping for Stormysky
  3. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I agree with you on the store bought vitamins. It wasn't clear to me what form of vitamins he was referring to. I've been adding powder green food supplement to my shake and I think it's a good addition. I'm phasing out my multi-vitamin pill.

The other thing he says under the "Vitamins" section is:
    "To eliminate cravings for refined sugar, look for a chromium supplement with 150 micrograms a day or 25 to 50 micrograms a meal as well."

I'll have to check to see if my green supplement has chromium. Since I've been eating the shake, I've had less cravings for junk--salty and sweets. That's been a real plus.

I also love the apple and the molasses. Seems funny that he wouldn't put that in the book.

Bottom line: I like your version better. :)

Glad you took notes and heard him speak! It's helped many of us!

Katy