The Buddha's Words on Kindness

Discussion in 'Spirituality/Worship' started by Rafiki, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

Metta Sutta

This is what should be done
    By one who is skilled in goodness,
    And who knows the path of peace:
    Let them be able and upright,
    Straightforward and gentle in speech.
    Humble and not conceited,
    Contented and easily satisfied.
    Unburdened with duties and frugal in their ways.
    Peaceful and calm, and wise and skillful,
    Not proud and demanding in nature.
    Let them not do the slightest thing
    That the wise would later reprove.
    Wishing: In gladness and in saftey,
    May all beings be at ease.
    Whatever living beings there may be;
    Whether they are weak or strong, omitting none,
    The great or the mighty, medium, short or small,
    The seen and the unseen,
    Those living near and far away,
    Those born and to-be-born,
    May all beings be at ease!

Let none deceive another,
    Or despise any being in any state.
    Let none through anger or ill-will
    Wish harm upon another.
    Even as a mother protects with her life
    Her child, her only child,
    So with a boundless heart
    Should one cherish all living beings:
    Radiating kindness over the entire world
    Spreading upwards to the skies,
    And downwards to the depths;
    Outwards and unbounded,
    Freed from hatred and ill-will.
    Whether standing or walking, seated or lying down
    Free from drowsiness,
    One should sustain this recollection.
    This is said to be the sublime abiding.
    By not holding to fixed views,
    The pure-hearted one, having clarity of vision,
    Being freed from all sense desires,
    Is not born again into this world.
  2. springwater

springwater Active Member

Free from hatred. Free from anger. Free from sense desires.

I am aspiring to these but a long way off yet, haha. But enjoying the journey at present.

Is not born into this world again. My goodness. It would be exquisite not to see suffering anywhere. And to die knowing i need not worry about anyone else i leave behind. May all beings aspire to and attain this sacred bliss.

Thank you, my friend, for posting.

God Bless
  3. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

I love the way the Buddha understood that the same attributes which would make one kind would make one happy!

This is what should be done
    By one who is skilled in goodness,
    And who knows the path of peace:
    Let them be able and upright,
    Straightforward and gentle in speech.
    Humble and not conceited,
    Contented and easily satisfied.
    Unburdened with duties and frugal in their ways.
    Peaceful and calm, and wise and skillful,
    Not proud and demanding in nature.

Sometimes I think I must be on my very first incarnation because I struggle with all of these things. But, what little progress I make does make me happier!

I think this is the perfect recipe for a kind and happy life.

with metta,
    Rafiki

PS Springwater, I read about your harrowing experience with the dog. You know, I'm sure, that a monk would tell you that the poor little dog had just a little more Karma to burn before he was done. You brought all your kindness to him and his spirit knew it was surrounded by metta. You are so very kind!

Did you know that Cate does amazing work with little orphaned or injured squirrels? She does!

ETA By the by, I don't have a belief about reincarnation. It makes as much sense as anything else - more, really. Don't know. On the one hand, I've made a lot of mistakes in this one and I'd like to believe I'm going to get another shot at it. On the other hand, AGAIN?! NO!!! Laughing!

[This Message was Edited on 01/29/2009]
  4. windblade

windblade Active Member

This is the first time I have heard the Metta Sutta.

I loved especially:

"Even as a mother protects her child
    Her child, her only child,
    So with a boundless heart
    Should one cherish all living beings."

And then the wonderful part about the skies and depths.

I picture all this Buddhist kindness flowing into the world, and it is so comforting, and encouraging.

How our world needs this!

5. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

I imagine all the kindness flowing out into the world, too. We can change the world with kindness. Imagine that!

And, I find it so comforting, too. When I read it, I feel the love - as they say.

The world needs all the peacemakers, all the love givers, all the kindness and care we can muster.

Be the change, huh? Yeah, be the change!

Peace to you, Wind,
    Rafiki
  6. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

many of the qualities the Buddha suggested we develop are thrust upon us by chronic illness?

And, that embracing the Buddha's advice could make dealing with chronic illness a qualitatively different experience?

I kinda feel like chronic illness allowed me the opportunity to work on these things when I could not work on other things. I don't think I would ever have turned my attention to these things when I was so caught up in my old life.

Any thoughts?

peace out,
    Rafiki
  7. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

When I read the Metta Sutta, I felt these are what we should be trying to achieve no matter what faith or belief. No matter what faith or belief, we would not want to "despise any being in any state", "wish harm upon another," and instead be "freed from hatred and ill-will", "radiating kindness over the entire world.", and so much more. The Metta Sutta feels like a guide to living our lives in peace and harmony with ourselves and others.
  8. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

This is what I was talking about.

Peace

9. Doznclan3

Doznclan3 New Member

Everything said, is exactly how I feel. Thank you so much. This is beautiful.

Would you mind if I copy the Metta Sutta?

As you probably know by now, I am Christian, and love the Bible. The words in the Metta Sutta has taught me once again from this board...more, about others. I love that.
    Thank you again, Cynthia
  10. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

The Metta Sutta belongs to everyone. It was already yours.

I think it's beautiful, too!

Peace to you,
    Rafiki
  11. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

It's beautiful, isn't it.

A beautiful, gentle guide to life.

Thanks for reading and understanding.

Namaste
  12. springwater

I very much am inclined to think you are in the latter stages rather than the beginning of rebirths /reincarnation (should reincarnation exist). Only a wise one who has learnt much of lifes lessons could assimilate so much of life wisdoms and try and bring it to us through these pages in such a gentle compassionate manner. I value your dear presence on this board so much. As do all the others I know.

Cate - you work with injured squirrels! That is wonderful to know. Due to my love of animals i tend to watch a lot of animal shows like discovery and national geographic and more often than not am apalled at what these innocent creatures who are just a different species of ourselves, suffer.

But watching PETA and other animal welfare organisations and stories of people like yourself give me a modicum of comfort and the feeling that all is not lost.

My goodness the metta sutta chant by Imee Oie is so beautiful and calming. Thank you so much for posting it. I wonder what it would feel like to go to sleep listening to this.

I hope everyone who is on a voyage of discovery and searching for lifes answers will get arive at amn understanding to some of them ...but most of all i wish all of us, peace.

God Bless

13. jole

jole Member

I nearly didn't read this post, but am so happy that I did. Such a calming, beautiful way to live.......

Yes, I totally agree that my illness has made me much more open to studying and dwelling on my faith, and the acts of kindness to be used toward others. I enjoy nature so much more now with my head free of other "things". There is an up side to everything, if we wish to find it***Jole***
  14. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

I nearly didn't see your response but I'm so happy that I did!

There is an infectious nature to happiness.

Thanks!
    Rafiki

15. windblade

windblade Active Member

Wonderful, wonderful prayer poems. They say exactly what I feel, and how I care.

Going to copy these in my journal to lift up in prayer.

How I wish we could learn the wisdom and care that Native Americans have treated our Earth!!!
  16. windblade

windblade Active Member

Today, reading the Metta Sutta, these words popped out to me:

May all things be at ease;
    Whatever living beings there may be;

I feel these words so deeply today - how our hearts long and ache for every living being to be safe and well.

Scrolling down the thread, I so enjoyed everyone's responses.

I prayed the beautiful prayers for protection of the animals, that Cate Catherine has.

And Rainbow, I have it on my list to look up 'Rainbow Eagle'.

I hope this wonderful teaching of the Metta Sutta will stay here - to be available to read again and again - and to share our thoughts.

17. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

Please I hope everyone will excuse me...I haven't had too much too add lately with the loss of MacKenzie...my beautiful red furry friend:) And I have been struggling with adapting to some new meds.

But I just want to say this is a beautiful post.....and I have enjoy reading everyones thoughts as well.

I am really foggy so I must go....bless wishes to all of you!!
    Deb
  18. springwater

"On this earth that is also theirs.
    Oh Great Spirit. Please heal the animals.
    Please protect the animals. Please restore the animals.
    So our lives may also be healed.
    So our souls may be protected.
    So our spirits may be restored.

Exactly! How much the animals suffer. And howe stoicallyand uncomplainingly they endure their suffering! Are they not like us? Do they not feel pain the same as us? Why is man so unfeeling towards them?

The utube u posted was quite, quite beautiful....we can all do our bit to dispel the darkness,how wonderful we have this power..let us use it.

God Bless

19. PainPainGoAway

PainPainGoAway New Member

What did you mean by my light? I tried to figure it out on my own, but to no avail... It sounds so sweet, I'd like to know what it means.

Thanks,
    Cindy
  20. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

When I was a little girl, I saw auras around everyone - many children do, maybe all children do but just don't remember. I clearly recall the moment I realized that not everyone saw a light around people. It was a little bit shocking and I suddenly felt odd and stopped seeing them.

I guess, that "light" remained, in my understanding, a manifestation of the spirit of a person. Or, perhaps, their energy. (Semantics are so tricky.) Even though I do not see auras any more I tend to think in terms of light when I think of spirit.

And, you know, sometimes you are with a person who has great spirit, really positive energy, and it is as though they glow - they are radiant. I bet your children are radiant.

I just think you must have a beautiful light.

Peace to you,
    Rafiki