The Buzz on Decaff

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ssMarilyn, Nov 24, 2002.

1. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

If you have high blood pressure, you may want to steer clear of both decaf and regular coffee.

In a recent study, occasional coffee drinkers who drank a triple espresso experienced an increase in blood pressure and nervous system activity regardless of whether or not the drink contained caffeine. Coffee may contain substances, other than caffeine, that cause cardiovascular reactivity.

This would explain why, after I had 3 small cups of Starbucks Decaf coffee tonight, my heart rate sped up about 15 beats per minute for about an hour. Who'd a know'd??

Marilyn :)
  2. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

If you have high blood pressure, you may want to steer clear of both decaf and regular coffee.

In a recent study, occasional coffee drinkers who drank a triple espresso experienced an increase in blood pressure and nervous system activity regardless of whether or not the drink contained caffeine. Coffee may contain substances, other than caffeine, that cause cardiovascular reactivity.

This would explain why, after I had 3 small cups of Starbucks Decaf coffee tonight, my heart rate sped up about 15 beats per minute for about an hour. Who'd a know'd??

Marilyn :)
  3. totteacher

totteacher New Member

Marilyn--

Thanks for the info. However, I haven't experienced that with decaf. BUT! I haven't tried Starbucks decaf, either. At home, I can drink 3-4 cups decaf w/o any noticeable elevation of heart beat. I don't make mine very strong though. Maybe restaurants make a higher concentration of coffee to water in their pots or maybe regular was brewed previously in the pot and some caffiene was there for that reason. Who knows? I have heard that the process of decaffinating the coffee also makes decaf coffee bad for you but I haven't researched that yet. Everything I like is bad for me! AAARRRGGGG!

Linda
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I do drink decaf without problems, but when I drink a caffeinated coffee, my pulse does race and I can feel my heartbeat throbbing.

I have often suspected that there are other things besides caffeine which make coffee like an upper.

Love, Mikie
  5. Spoonerpaws

Spoonerpaws New Member

For me, drinking Starbuck's decaf (though I love it) is the same as drinking coffe with caffiene

[ advertisement ]