The causes of my cfs/fm

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by ljimbo42, Feb 9, 2013.

1. ljimbo42

ljimbo42 Member

What I have found in the last 6 years of extensive research and extensive experimenting with supplements of all kinds on my illness, is my illness has several causes and that all of them need to be addressed. I have had cfs/fm for 30 years and been disabled from it for over 20.

I have dysbiosis (mine is bacterial) that caused inflammation in my GI tract leading to leaky gut. Toxins from the leaky gut caused a partial methylation block and mitochondrial dysfunction. The toxins also cause a strong immune system reaction, allergies etc. and adrenal fatigue.

Almost any chronic infection can cause adrenal fatigue given enough time and I think I have had dysbiosis since I was a kid and I'm now 53. I have treated most of these things individually but never at the same time like I am now.

No wonder I've been sick so long, this is a very difficult disease to unravel. I found one thing and think I would have the answer, then find another piece of the puzzle, etc. Its been like peeling the layers of an onion off one by one, just to find another one under the last.

I think the adrenal fatigue is the last piece of the puzzle for me. I am addressing all these issues now and with a little luck will be feeling better soon, but I am still a work in progress. Don't give up, you never know what's rate around the corner that you can't see yet!

I hope I have given people some good food for thought. I wish everyone nothing but good fortune in dealing with there illness! all the best- jim
  2. Ronaldo60

Ronaldo60 Member

http://www.endfatigue.com/book_notes/Fftf_chapter_4.html#safety_2

I wondered if you were up on all of Dr. Teitelbaum's collection of so many clinical studies on CFS/FM and adrenal fatigue (low cortisol from HPA-axis disruption
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I think it's wonderful that you are finding out what ails you. That said, however, these issues may not be "the cause" of your condition. We have many, many issues which coexist with our CFIDS/ME and FMS. Many people find they have certain conditions and assume those conditions are "the cause" of their illnesses. This is a common error. There is a difference between relationships and causes. There are relationships between our CFIDS/ME, FMS and other illnesses but no one yet knows the cause of these illnesses. Also, some have been misdiagnosed and have other conditions.

It is a good idea to get control over these coexisting conditions as I don't think we can begin to heal until we address them. Good luck to you.

Love, Mikie
  4. ljimbo42

ljimbo42 Member

Catseye was a member here for a long time. She started seeing dr.farr I think. He helped her treat dysbiosis, leaky gut,methylation, mitochondrial impairment, and adrenal fatigue.

Catseye is now living a full life. She went from being bedridden for years to doing yoga, working out at the gym, traveling etc. in about 2 years. Interestingly enough the thousands of hours I put into finding the causes of my cfs have led me to the exact same place. I don't believe that is a coincidence.

If I get better I'll know for certain these are the causes, if I don't, I'll find what I missed and treat that. I'm not the type of person to give up trying. Either I will beat my illness or I will die trying. good luck to all! jim
    [This Message was Edited on 02/10/2013]
    [This Message was Edited on 02/10/2013]
  5. ljimbo42

ljimbo42 Member

Hello. It seems like Dr. Teitelbaum believes adrenal dysfunction in cfs can be primary or secondary.

In my case I think it is secondary to my intestinal infection (bacterial dysbiosis) and leaky gut syndrome. Maybe in your case it was primary? I think it is a big piece of the puzzle for me that I need to take care of to get well.

I just want to thank you again for your original post, because that's what helped me realize that adrenal fatigue is a big part of my problem.

I skimmed through Dr. Teitelbaum's article on adrenal dysfunction. When I get a chance I will read it through in more detail. thanks, jim
  6. Ronaldo60

Ronaldo60 Member

And keep us posted as to your progress and what you learn?
  7. astroherb

astroherb New Member

I took Catseye's advice and worked with Dr. Farr for a long time. He treated my leaky gut, extremely low adrenal and low DHEA. He also found out that I had a high intolerance to dairy and gluten. I no longer work with Dr. Farr because of finances, but he was the key to my recovery and I am very, very thankful for his guidance. I too now live a full life. I work part time, keep up my home and yard and also am involved in a part time business. I continue to treat the adrenals and follow a low carb, gluten and dairy free diet. I am also doing qigong, which is helping to clear up the lingering health issues. I do still have to pace myself, but no longer have major crashes.

These illnesses seem to be very complicated and many different issues need to be treated to make big gains. However, I really do feel that it is possible to regain your health and to get your life back.
  8. ljimbo42

ljimbo42 Member

Thank you for your response. I am very happy to hear that you are doing so well. It is a long hard road but, like you, I feel like good health is possible and worth any effort I put in.

As long as I am willing to do the work and stay open minded about better ways to improve my health, I feel like I can get there. Thanks again and much good luck with your health!
  9. neoplus1

neoplus1 Member

Since there is a lot of talk about Dysbiosis, leaky gut, Small intestinal bacterial ovregrowth, I thought I would mention that I have read of a few cases where documented bacterial overgrowth was treated with enteric coated peppermint oil.

I just thought some people would be interested since it is easy to get and since it is also a bit antispasmotic, it could help IBS as well. I don't know if it would only treat overgrowth in the small intestine or if it could also help with microbes in the large intestine too.

I am currently looking into probiotics that seem to lower inflammatory cytokines as well as other allergy related biomarkers. A few that are interesting are Bifantis, Lactobacillus casei Shirota, and another one that was studied in allergies recently but I can't remember the strain/species and can't find the article.

Focusing on the gastrointestinal tract as a whole appears to be a good idea in ME/CFS and Fibromyalgia. Many people using elimination diets as well as making sure the ecology is improved seem to do well.

Steve
  10. ljimbo42

ljimbo42 Member

I have read at least one study that found enteric coated peppermint oil helped patients with bacterial overgrowth,though I have not tried it yet.

I am using grapefruit seed extract, oil of oregano, and berberine to treat dysbiosis, along with a low carb diet. I am also taking a probiotic that has 66 billion organisms per capsule and 11 strains including Lactobacillus casei.

Treating dysbiosis has helped me, but is just one piece of a larger puzzle, (one step at a time right-lol). I have recently moved on to treating adrenal fatigue in the last week and a half or so, with really good success so far. Best of luck to you- Jim