The Chat Feature

Discussion in 'Tips and Suggestions on How to Use the New Forum.' started by rockgor, Mar 14, 2014.

1. rockgor

rockgor Active Member

Is there someplace on the board that gives instructions on how to chat?

Rock
  2. Soul*

Soul* Active Member

Rock I don't know but if you want to try I just openend mine. I don't know the ins and outs about it either.
  3. Soul*

Soul* Active Member

Finding out on the go.

1 To try you first have to click on that on/off button on the right bottom side of your screen to put it on. If it is red it is not on. If it is activated you should see three grey buttons appear.
    2 Then by clicking the right grey bar with green light it opens a chatroom and you should see who is online to chat too. Right now that is only me.
    3 If you want to chat with a particular person there is a search bar you can type their name in, they have to be in the online list though. Or you can just click their name probably but I can't try that right now since I'm the only one there :p
    4 Else you just go to General chat (the center grey button) and type there.
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
  4. Soul*

Soul* Active Member

5 Typing is done in the lower blanc bar and by hitting enter it will be posted in the General chat room.
    6 If you see someone on the right window who is not yet in the general chat you can try and drag them to the general chat window to send them an invitation.
    7 You can also start your own chat bly clicking on the most left grey bar and give it a title. I'm gonna make a test one to see how that works. You have to pick if it is public or only for you and can invite people the same way as in the general chat.

I guess that's about all there is to it. Most people don't have their chat on though so usually noone shows as online and it can be quite confronting if someone drags you into a chat at a moment you just want to read a little online at your own pace.
  5. Soul*

Soul* Active Member

8 Found out a few more things. If you want to close the chat feature, in the right grey bar when it is openend you have to click on the little down arrow next to the sun/settings image.
    9 If you accedentially closed chat windows and wonder where they went you find a grey button on the left bottom side of your screen that says More Chats with an up arrow next to it. Click it and you will find all the chats that are open to you at that moment.

Hope this helps. Gonna close down now. But if anyone ever wants to try I don't mind being guinea pig if I'm on anyways.
  6. rockgor

rockgor Active Member

Hi Soul

Such a lot of work you went to. Thank you. I'm sorry to say I can't find the buttons and
    bars you refer to. Mikie said something about being able to send e mails to people by
    clicking on their photo/avatar. Couldn't get that to work either.

Oh well. Have to be content with posting, I guess.

Thanks again. Rock
  7. Soul*

Soul* Active Member

No problem Rock, there may be others for whom it can be useful too and I'm always curious to find out how things work too.

When I was posting this yesterday I noticed you didn't have your chat enabled/on yet. Do you see in the bottom right corner of your screen a grey square with a red circle in it?
  8. rockgor

rockgor Active Member

Hi Soul

No, I don't see the grey square with a red circle in it. But I do get pop ups sometimes asking
    me if I want to chat. It's always when I'm posting so I don't reply. Figure all I would
    accomplish would be to lose my post.

I did try and talk to two guys after I finished posting the other night. I typed a message,
    but didn't know how to send it. Then, when I finally sent it by hitting the "enter" key,
    they were already gone.

Your cow has a wistful look. Is this a cow you know personally, or was it just happenstance?

Rock
  9. Soul*

Soul* Active Member

It was from a picture from the internet, I'll see if I can find it. I don't get what is going on for you chatwise, maybe the site monitors can help. I did not see you on chat when you just posted this but the way you describe it you do seem to be on chat since others are able to invite you. Beats me too and I'm not doing well enough to break my head over it. Hope the site monitors can help.
    Share.jpg
  10. rockgor

rockgor Active Member

Hey! I did it! I chatted with 2 people. I got a popup saying someone wanted to chat
    with me. But I was posting at the time. So a few minutes later I clicked on the
    chat box and typed in the space at the bottom. I hit "enter" when I wanted to send the
    message. All worked just fine.

I'd give you more detailed instructions, but it's the kinda thing where you need the
    box in front of you to demonstrate. Haven't tried to initiate a chat yet.

This teaches us we must all keep plugging away. Eventually the pyramid will get built.*

Rock

*Though not necessarily in our lifetime.
    Soul* likes this.
  11. Soul*

Soul* Active Member

YAY! Good for you Rock!