The Chinese doc is helping me with my neck and arm pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Jen F, Jul 28, 2003.

1. Jen F

Jen F New Member

The acupuncture and Chinese herbs are helping. After the acupuncture, my pain was about 20% improved yesterday. And since it has been improving by about 10% lately, it is almost halfway better!

I will post more details shortly when I have more time.

J.
  2. EZBRUZR

EZBRUZR New Member

Jen, I am happy to hear something is Helping you! So much better than itchy,scratchy,can't breath,Eh? Good Luck with iT !It sounds as if you are DUE some pain relief! :} Peace,L
  3. Jen F

Jen F New Member

awhile ago and my pain is 60% improved.

Now, that's WITH the Chinese medicine [and about 15 supplements, and the occasional osteopath appointment, and massage, etc...]

The Chinese doc changed my tea a little. I still have to look up the 2 new ingredients.

Off the top of my head think they were white peony root and some sort of magnolia part. 2 plant products were taken out of the scrip this time.

I might post more details later.

Perhaps those of you with FM who have a brave tongue and tummy would benefit from these chinese medicines, esp the ones that reduce muscle spasm and help pain in addition to the ones supposed to help my bowel work better and give me more energy and sleep better. I'm not noticing much improvement in my sleep at this point, but it's a stressful time for me, I'm losing a friend, seem to be on the outs with family, etc, but if i notice definite significant improvements with sleeping, I'll let you all know. Might take some time though, depending on what I decide to do with the whole benzo weaning thing, etc.

Blessings,
    J.
  4. healing

healing New Member

I knew that choking that stuff down would help you! Did he take out the nasty-tasting ones?
  5. Jen F

Jen F New Member

Had a bad eve. Allergic Rxn AGAIN!!! I'm thinking it's one of the 2 new things in the Chinese scrip...drat...

It's not just the skin reaction, but also increased malaise and extreme fatigue...couldn't make my dinner. pain is still tolerable at least...

I haven't even had a chance yet to research the new contents.

EZBruzer and Packman, bud, thanks for your kind words.

Packman, I've been meaning to comment on the extremity of your back problems, how horrific, you say something about some vertebrae only 1/4 the size supposed to be from your accident, you had to be "brought back", neck broken, etc...oh my gawd...no wonder you have such pain. Wish they could just cut off the pain sensations for you. You have very real and very serious physical problems... I've been meaning to post but haven't had the chance yet, esp with reeling from and supporting one who was "flamed", I don't dare say more about that here, losing my best friend, and all these appointments, forcing myself to make some social contacts, etc, I'm exhausted, BUT..I have been convinced now that my pain is more muscular and due to brachial plexus problem [thoracic outlet syndrome?] more so than my disk problems. Yay!! In a way this is good cause I now know how to deal with it better and the right type of stretching and massage though painful is helping. good thing I found out too cause if goes for too long without proper treatment, supposedly can cause permanent nerve damage. As it is improving, feels weird at times. Like I've got a Tens unit on but i don't. I get the surge of electricity feeling, zzz, zzzz, zzzz in my arm, etc...bizarre, but better to have that than when I have the intense tingling and pain which is very uncomfortable and really intolerable when its bad.

I really think it's gonna get better and now that I know about the DDD and lateral stenosis, I can catch that early before it gets really out of hand. So, I'm confident now that I can escape the fate of long term chronic pain that many of you have faced.

I do think the herbs would still be helpful for you guys even though my problem seems to be only partly disk, largely muscular and nerve related. gosh, I had no idea muscle problems could be so painful and serious...Those darn scalenes, eh?? That bodymindresources site is quite extraordinary and explains how muscles that go into spasm and aren't held right can be caused to stay that way by the fascia around them hardening and keeping them that way, but the fascia CAN be softened and manipulated with some work. It's not instant, but it works! And the trigger point therapy is a similar and important aspect too..

Healing - it's hard to say if the gross stuff has been taken out! lol! I like vegetables but would be like making someone who doesn't like veggies eat brussel sprouts instead of broccoli...the smell from the kitchen last night upset my tummy, and still takes me almost 2 hours to get through a cup, but at least i rarely gag now. It is getting easier. Not easy, but easier.

The fact that I am improving is exciting though, isnt' it!!!

Packman - gotta warn you, the acupuncture I am getting IS painful and makes my arm feel heavier after. But, almost immediately, my neck mobility is improved, and about half an hour later the pain is noticeably reduced. It's not working like magic for me, but it is working. I'd say I'm getting better results from this, over time than with extra strength tylenol.

I also get a bit of massage, was my massage therapist that recommended this acupuncturist. he only charges $25 whereas the naturopathic clinic it's $45. Even $25 is not terribly cheap, but try it a few times Packman, you should notice SOME results within 3 sessions if it's going to help your pain.

Chiro today worked on my tight neck muscles, did great traction which was quite relieving and I finally was able to lie on the "roller" massage table for 10 minutes. I haven't been able to do that since my injury cause lying flat was my worst position.

Oh dear, fire out of control near Jasper [news on in background]...such a beautiful place, but rather dry in summer. Hope they can manage the fire...

Anyways, thanks, guys for your interest and I hope some of this stuff might be able to help you in the future.

But, if I react allergically to one more thing, I'm going to SCREAM!

J.