The Daffodil Principal WITH THE PIC NOW!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ckball, Mar 21, 2008.

1. ckball

ckball New Member

Sat morning- Kjade made a great suggestion-so now you see the daffy's and not my dirty ditch- Thank you all for reading this very long story but well worth the read- Carla

Hello everyone- I wanted to wish everyone a Happy Easter. I recieved the below in a email today. I thought it was very fitting for this weekend to all that have struggles in their lives.

It came with beautiful pictures which are not formatted for PH, I have tried every way I can to change it from a bmp. file to a jpg. file.

It is beautiful fields of 1000's of daffodils, just incredile, you may be able to google Daffodil Garden, I just thought of that while writting. I just found it

The picture of the ditch that WAS in my profile is not quite as beautiful but the theroy is the same. It is my yard, I had a botched under gound drainage ditch installed for all the water that runs off the hill. The 20 feet or so between the hill and my porch was totally saturated, it is red clay. It was so bad that you could actually lose a boot in it.

In order to dry that 20 x 100 foot strip I had to dig a series of ditches for the water to drain. I have been digging this ditch for 3 shovel at a time.

I have tried to find help but still no one has offered a hand. My nieghbors drive by and wave and go on. But it is ok.. it has been a battle that has driven me to the edge at times.

But I will continue this journey as I have gained strength from surviving each day. I truly connected with the message below and wanted to share it with all of you.

I have not been able to be here as often as I would like, but when I do come, even if I don't post, it is a comfort to know you are here and understand. So thank you for sharing your life and struggles with me, it truly helps me get threw mine- Now enjoy the story and imagine the pictures-Carla

Several times my daughter had telephoned to say, "Mother... you must come to see the daffodils before they are over."

I wanted to go, but it was a two-hour drive from Laguna to Lake Arrowhead "I will come next Tuesday", I promised a little reluctantly on her third call.

Next Tuesday dawned cold and rainy. Still, I had promised, and reluctantly I drove there. When I finally walked into Carolyn's house I was welcomed by the joyful sounds of happy children. I delightedly hugged and greeted my grandchildren.

"Forget the daffodils, Carolyn! The road is invisible in these clouds and fog, and there is nothing in the world except you and these children that I want to see badly enough to drive another inch!"

My daughter smiled calmly and said, "We drive in this all the time, Mother."

"Well, you won't get me back on the road until it clears, and then I'm heading for home!" I assured her.

"But first we're going to see the daffodils. It's just a few blocks," Carolyn said. "I'll drive. I'm used to this."

"Carolyn," I said sternly, "Please turn around."

"It's all right, Mother, I promise. You will never forgive yourself if you miss this experience."

After about twenty minutes, we turned onto a small gravel road and I saw a small church. On the far side of the church, I saw a hand lettered sign with an arrow that read, " Daffodil Garden ." We got out of the car, each took a child's hand, and I followed Carolyn down the path. Then, as we turned a corner, I looked up and gasped. Before me lay the most glorious sight.

It looked as though someone had taken a great vat of gold and poured it over the mountain and its surrounding slopes. The flowers were planted in majestic, swirling patterns, great ribbons and swaths of deep orange, creamy white, lemon yellow, salmon pink, and saffron and butter yellow. Each different colored variety was planted in large groups so that it swir led and flowed like its own river with its own unique hue. There were five acres of flowers.

"Who did this?" I asked Carolyn. "Just one woman," Carolyn answered. "She lives on the property. That's her home." Carolyn pointed to a well-kept A-frame house, small and modestly sitting in the midst of all that glory. We walked up to the house.

On the patio, we saw a poster. "Answers to the Questions I Know You Are Asking", was the headline. The first answer was a simple one. "50,000 bulbs," it read. The second answer was, "One at a time, by one woman. Two hands, two feet, and one brain." The third answer was, "Began in 1958."

For me, that moment was a life-changing experience. I thought of this woman whom I had never met, who, more than forty years before, had begun, one bulb at a time, to bring her vision of beauty and joy to an obscure mountaintop. Planting one bulb at a time, year after year, this unknown woman had forever changed the world in which she lived. One day at a time, she had created something of extraordinary magnificence, beauty, and inspiration. The principle her daffodil garden taught is one of the greatest principles of celebration.

That is, learning to move toward our goals and desires one step at a time--often just one baby-step at time--and learning to love the doing, learning to use the accumulation of time. When we multiply tiny pieces of time with small increments of daily effort, we too will find we can accomplish magnificent things. We can change the world .

"It makes me sad in a way," I admitted to Carolyn. "What might I have accomplished if I had thought of a wonderful goal thirty-five or forty years ago and had worked away at it 'one bulb at a time' through all those years? Just think what I might have been able to achieve!"

My daughter summed up the message of the day in her usual direct way. "Start tomorrow," she said.

She was right. It's so pointless to think of the lost hours of yesterdays. The way to make learning a lesson of celebration instead of a cause for regret is to only ask, "How can I put this to use today?"

Use the Daffodil Principle. Stop waiting.....

Until your car or home is paid off

Until you get a new car or home

Until your kids leave the house

Until you go back to school

Until you finish school

Until you clean the house

Until you organize the garage

Until you clean off your desk

Until you lose 10 lbs.

Until you gain 10 lbs.

Until you get married

Until you get a divorce

Until you have kids

Until the kids go to school

Until you retire

Until summer

Until spring

Until winter

Until fall

Until you die...

There is no better time than right now to be happy.
    Happiness is a journey, not a destination.
    So work like you don't need money.
    Love like you've never been hurt, and Dance like no one's watching.

Wishing you a beautiful, daffodil day!

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

If you want to brighten someone's day, pass this on to someone special. I just did

[This Message was Edited on 03/21/2008]
    [This Message was Edited on 03/22/2008]
  2. ckball

ckball New Member

I tried to load the pictures but they are not in a jpg format and it wouldn't let me. They are beautiful and will try to save them again later- Carla
  3. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

there is no picture of flowers in your bio. However, the story was a lovely and is so very true. Yes, one lady doing something one day at a time and got something very beautiful.

I wish I could see the picture of the flowrs again. Was that your ditch covered in with dirt ? I cannot tell.

4. ckball

ckball New Member

yes the picture is my ditch I have been digging, it was a soaked mud pit before I dug the ditches. I am still trying to get the other picture to load but no luck.

I am glad you liked the story-Carla
  5. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

is also having you as a friend. Thought about you many times lately and just wanted you to know that I really admire you. You are quite a fighter.

I hope life gets easier for you soon.
  6. victoria

victoria New Member

just lost a good friend to cancer... nothing like reality to wake one up.

I remember driving down a small country lane here in Georgia once to take someone home, they were renting a small very old farmhouse way back in the woods... but oh MY - once we got there, the small fields around the house were entirely full of blooming daffodils!!!

What a wonderful delight, she hadn't told me about them before arriving, and you couldn't see them until you wound your way down a very long driveway thru the woods! They'd obviously just kept multiplying over the years... love daffodils!

Thanks Carla!
    all the best,

7. ckball

ckball New Member

Victoria I am so sorry about losing your friend. I lost a best freind a year ago next month. It does wake you up, we never know about tomorrow just the moment we are in, my heart goes out to you. You bring so much laughter and caring to this board. So keep on keepin on.

Sweetie-we will have a mutal admiration society ok?? You have been threw far more than I can even imagine, YOU are the fighter and you are still here too. I am proud to call you a freind, so thank you for your kind words. I think we have both climbed to the top and it's all down hill from here on out :)Enjoy the ride-Carla
  8. kjade

kjade New Member

That was a very beautiful story - thank you for sharing. It does put things in perspective, doesn't it?

About your photo...have you tried opening your pic in "paint" then saving as a different file type, then posting to your profile?

I have done that a few times and it does work. Just open the Daffodil pic in paint, then click file and "save as" - then name the pic, and for type, click the type you need to be able to post it.

I hope this helps....I would just love to see this picture!! Happy Easter!!
  9. ckball

ckball New Member

I love you!!! I had tried MS Office Pics, Kodak and HP pic program-didn't even think about Paint. The pic is there now.

Thank you, Thakn you, Thank you-

What you didn't like my dirt picture,lol Carla
  10. kjade

kjade New Member

Don't thank me, thank God I'm here!! (just father-in-law always says that!)

I am so glad that worked for you. Those pictures are beautiful!! But I have a did you get a picture of my back yard?? LOL!! Don't I wish!!

Those pics make me long for spring even more. They are just gorgeous! I wish I could see that in person.

Oh, the picture of your dirt was nice, but I do like the flowers a little better. lol.. Hey, why don't you start planting bulbs in that area? You never know what you might come up with!!
  11. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Thanks for reposting. The pictures are beautiful, absolutely gorgeous !!!

Yes, I to would love to see that in person.

12. ckball

ckball New Member

I am glad you like it, I would love to see it in person.

I found the website but couldn't load the "virutal tour" may try again later today.

I hope all have a wonderful and blessed day with your families-Thank you all for sharing your lifes with me-Carla
  13. jole

jole Member

I can understand your comparison between the ditch and the have worked soooo hard on that ditch. I never could have achieved what you have.

Yes, thank you for the picture and the story. Makes me think also! Although this Easter I did decide to stop complaining and try to work through my pain a bit more to at least accomplish more of my housework, and try sorting through some things so the kids won't have to some day.

The story is a great one...reminds us what one person can accomplish to make this world a better place in each individual way. Hers was flowers. Yours is your beautiful stained glass....and ditch digging..LOL. We each have something, but I just haven't uncovered mine yet, and time is going fast!!!

14. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Wonderful story, picture and post. Thank you.

It reminds me of the French man who lived in the broken down hut and gathered all the acorns and plated over his lifetime a 100 acre forest that is now a major attraction. He did the same thing, one acorn at a time.

God bless these people.

When I was a kid, one of the back lanes near my home was a little cobbled street and there was a man we called the daffodil man. Lived in a tumble down white cottage with a thatched roof and his whole yard was just all daffodils. Unfortunately, when I went to look for it many years later, new houses were built there and not a daffodil in sight.

In cornwall, on the cliffs above the fishing village of Mousehole (pron Mouzzel) they are filled with daffodils and violets. There is an island off the coast there off Looe, that two spinster sisters bought in 1955, for not much money really, where they grew daffs and violets as they were always a week early on the little island and they could sell them to the London market. I knew the sisters for a little while.

I also love the poem Daffodils.

Thanks again. Love Annie
  15. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

That was so beautiful Carla. What a inspiration the daffadoil garden is. Thank you so much for sharing this with us.
  16. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Looks kinda like the field of flowers in Wizard of Oz, huh?

I have been to San Diego when the runnuculus fields were in bloom. Also spectacular.

I looked on the net. Looks like the daffodils are about 80 miles from where I live.

My mother always had daffodils, tulips, and grape hyacinths in the Spring. She used to look through her seed catalogs all winter and wait for Spring.

17. ckball

ckball New Member

Glad you enjoyed it. I truly beleive in this principle, just baby steps add up over time.

Rock I had hoped it was close enough to you that it would be a great way to spend a day.

Thank you all for being here for me and know I am here for all of you as well-Carla
  18. Scapper

Scapper New Member

Wow, what an inspiring story and incredible pictures!!!!

I really really (really) needed this inspiration today (one foot in front of the other).

THANKS SO MUCH!!!!!!