"The Edge Effect".........read it?? Brain connection.......

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by caroleye, Nov 21, 2005.

1. caroleye

caroleye New Member

Just bought a copy of the above book by Dr. Eric Bravermann; the person who 20 years ago began treating patients for brain dysfunctions. (chemical imbalances)

He claims "all" illnesses begin with the brain. Of the l0,000 patients he's treated, he lists every symptom I have. I can't believe this book just came out.

And can't believe that neurofeedback isn't more popular. Guess it just takes time for this kind of approach to catch on. Ahhhhhh, could it be that it's not a "drug"??

Anyway, gotta get back to this great read.

LIGHT**************carole
  2. pastel

pastel New Member

Heard him interviewed on radio and thanks! for the reminder.
    Am going to get the book from the library (I hope)

Catherine.

Let's tell each other what we think of it.
  3. OptimusUndead

OptimusUndead Member

I was seen by Dr. Eric Bravermann in NYC for a few months........have lots opinions on that guy....

but i wont say too much unless you want to know or finish the book first..

Chris
  4. jake123

jake123 New Member

I would be interested to know if anyone has had neurofeedback. My neurologist believes that if I eliminate my headaches then I will eliminate body pain.
    The Relpax works really good and so does the Indomethicin but I can only use them 3 days a week and I am having to take both Relpax and Indomethicin the same day.
    After using it on Sunday, it has carried me to Tuesday with no headache. Woo=hoo!
  5. caroleye

caroleye New Member

I'm reading & outlining very slowly, as this is the first book that spoke to me at such a deep level. It feels like the "root" of it all vs a piece of the body & "symptoms".

Just an update for you.........

Can't wait til my next neurofeedback session.

LIGHT**********carole
  6. pastel

pastel New Member

Yes, tell me what your opinions are. Have placed the book
    on reserve at the library so am awaiting it's arrival.

Catherine
  7. OptimusUndead

OptimusUndead Member

heh.. honestly, since your going to be reading the book.. i always say information is good information, and we can always use it in some way later. But honestly i'm not a big fan of Bravermann, so i'll let the book do the talking, and if your interested, i'll post another reply. He's a smart man, i just dont agree with his practice. But i dont want to ruin the book for you either.. ^_^ i would feel bad

Chris
  8. caroleye

caroleye New Member

We all have to find the path that works for us, and when something doesn't work for me, I'm fine with sharing that.

So far, I'm at the beginning of the book, but it was recommended by one of the cutting-edge Docs out here, so I'm trusting there's something in there for me.

Just following "my yellow brick road"........

LIGHT*************carole
  9. caroleye

caroleye New Member

For anyone that's read or is reading this book, you'll come to a questionnaire to establish your "Nature Assessment".

I can't figure out if I should be answering this how I was pre-illness or how I feel "now". It's a l80 degree change.

Anyone??

Thanks......& LIGHT**********carole
  10. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

went out and got this book at the library today to join in on the discussion. i find it interesting that chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia are not mentioned anywhere in the text?? i also had trouble knowing whether to score myself before or after illness in terms of which neurotransmitter dominates, but ultimately came out acetylcholine dominant, which makes a lot of sense since its a creative disposition and i'm a writer. i have huge deficiencies in gaba, which also makes sense since chronic pain is considered a gaba deficiency and can affect sleep as well. the new fibro drugs like lyrica work on gaba.

all in all, an interesting read. i'm going to stop taking jarrow neuro optimizer which contains nutrients to enhance acetylcholine (which i don't need) and add DLPA in the morning to enhance dopamine and inositol at night to enhance GABA. i'll report back with effects (good or bad) of the doc's recommendations.

has anyone used a CES (cranial electrical stimulation) unit as recommended in the book? opinions? price??

eddie
  11. tansy

tansy New Member

confirmed the “Enhanced sensitivity of the peripheral cholinergic vascular response in patients with chronic fatigue syndrome”

Acetylcholine is a chemical found in the nervous system which helps transmit nerve impulses from the brain around the body. Brain scans have shown that people with ME/CFS may be abnormally sensitive to acetylcholine, and this could help explain many of the symptoms they experience.

Acetylcholine is also found in the lining of blood vessels, and can influence the flow of blood through an artery by relaxing its walls so that its diameter increases. By stimulating the skin with small amounts of acetylcholine, and measuring the resulting changes in blood flow, we were able to test the sensitivity of blood vessels in the forearm. We found that people with ME/CFS were more sensitive to acetylcholine than were healthy people of the same age.

Sensitivity to acetylcholine may be an important feature of ME/CFS, and this abnormality may have an impact on the health of the heart and circulation of people with the condition.

There is a link to MERGE’s more detailed report at
    http://www.meresearch.org.uk/research/sponsored/nontech.html

-----
    I’m sure you already know about this, but I thought I’d include the info for those who may not have seen it before.

Eddie

I found taking theanine (an amino acid found in green tea) to support GABA levels worked well for me. I have not felt the need to take it for some time now but still have to resort to zopiclone, like lunesta, for sleep.

Tansy[This Message was Edited on 11/26/2005]
  12. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

thanks, you have always have such great information! it reaffirms my decision to stop the neuro optimizer which supplements acetylcholine. sometimes we figure anything that feeds the brain is good!, but research tells us otherwise. i do believe that's my latest goal for self-treatment: applied research; reading and experimenting and making course adjustments along the way. i've got plenty of time on my hands. no reason i shouldn't know as much if not more than any doctor!

be well,
    eddie
  13. tansy

tansy New Member

I had to learn as I went along, made mistakes of course but some of them were due to doing the right things in the wrong order.

Due to my medical history David Berg insisted I needed medical supervision for treating my coagulopathy, I had no choice but to go it alone. Others in my family have simlar issues, including coagulopathies, but only my son so far has had an ME/CFS-like illness; ironically we are the ones who experienced problems following vaccines though they were not a trigger for ME/CFS.

I would not have come this far without diligent researching and paying close attention to feedback and info provided through the international patient community on line. A few years ago my future looked very bleak, now everyone is noticing the difference; many had not realised how ill I was and looked all those years until I started to look well again on my good days.

Carol

Neurofeedback, like reverse therapy, will work if the hypotheses behind these Tx are correct for the client being treated. Should you decide to try out neurofeedback I hope it works for you.

love, Tansy[This Message was Edited on 11/28/2005]
  14. caroleye

caroleye New Member

Did you figure out whether or not to score the nature assessment as "current" or pre-illness? I'm still struggling with that.

Also, what kind of numbers did you come up with? Mine are mostly over 15, which is why I've been disabled for so many years.

I'm a slow reader, ,so just up to the dopamine part, and it's amazing how many of those symptoms I have, and how I have "naturally" leaned toward so many of the foods they recommend.

So I'm going to start typing up my program, beginning there. Then as I read on, I'll make any adjustments.

Hoping my neurofeedback person has read this book, and can help me along the way.

I really like the way this book has such detail in a very holistic manner. I'm impressed, and grateful I have it!

LIGHT**********carole
  15. JimB

JimB New Member

I'll have to check it out.
    Jim
  16. caroleye

caroleye New Member

I'm a "royal mess"..........so far major deficiency in both dopamine & acetycholine....both the "on" switch of our brains. No wonder I'm not functioning.

But many good suggestions to start turning this around.

LIGHT*******carole

P.S. I'm a natural acetycholine.......
  17. caroleye

caroleye New Member

My neurofeedback person isn't "in touch" w/this book, so I turned her on to it.

So I'm starting my own program, since the Dr. that wrote the book is in N.Y. and I'm on the West Coast.

Beginning w/the diet for acetycholine natures. My brain map did show that I was way up on the frontal lobe.......alpha waves, so my session today really helped.

Just going to do weekly sessions, as I'm a "canary", and too much is not good.

Next, I'm looking for a Dr. who understands this, and meanwhile will put my own supplement program together, based on his book.

Hope to keep this thread going. I "know" it's the missing piece for alot of us. I "saw" on my brain map that I was a fibromalgia patient!!

LIGHT***********carole

[ advertisement ]