The elderly woman

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TwoCatDoctors, Jun 21, 2012.

1. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

Lately I have seen an elderly woman who is walking all around town looking near homeless, in dirty clothes, her hair and face dirty, and she is dragging a type of suitcase behind her.

I dropped my car off early this morning to be worked on and then scootered off to the bus stop so I could return home. While at this bus stop, I saw the woman walking on the sidewalk in my direction. She did not ask for money and said nothing.

I had some extra money so I asked if I could give her a few dollars to make her day special. She smiled (first time I have ever seen her smile and her teeth look rotted) and said "yes." I gave her the money, she said thanks and went on her way.

I'm going to put the name, address and phone number of the city social worker that I know down on paper and next time give her some money and that info. The way things happen, it could be one of us in her situation one day.
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

That was very nice of you. Yup, could be one of us. When I was a kid one
    income supported a family. Now it takes two, and if one party gets laid
    off, the family is only a couple paychecks from being unable to pay the

I am staggered when I read the cost of college; or even snacks at the mall.
    I don't know how most families survive.

I hope this lady is eligible for some kind of benefits.

Hi to Shelby and Cesar.
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

So many just pass by the homeless as though they are different from you and I. We are all God's children and some of us, through no fault of our own, suffer tragedies which we cannot overcome. This can lead to homelessness. As govts., at various levels, cut funding for social services, it leaves the homeless, those with mental illness, and others at the bottom of the economic stratus, without resources. Those resources, which are stretched thin, are often inadequate. I'm always glad to see religious organizations step up to help. But, in my estimation, the greatest giving is from a kind spirit like you. Thanks for sharing. We need to be aware and act on our own, if possible, and, finally, we need to be thankful for our own blessings.

Love, Mikie
  4. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

For a while I have had a nice lady come to my place and at reduced rates help me with so much. She is from one of the local churches.

I have been wearing braces on my hands now for one month (yes Rock, I'm going to look like the Michelin Tire Man with ever growing braces on legs and now on hands). Because I'm finding limitations, this lady and I are streamlining the place where I live and getting rid of some furniture, belongings, clothes, etc. to make it easier for me.

This wonderful lady from the church has taken all those items I got rid of to a house in our city that her church runs. The church volunteers open up the house twice a week and the poor come in and are allowed to take 10 items for free. I confirmed it is true and I know my items are going to those who have very little or nothing now. I never realized that some churches were running wonderful places like this and you may want to check your local churches to see if they have houses like this this if you have items to donate.

I'm going to ask the lady that comes to my place from the church if she can also provide me with info on paper to pass to this elderly lady.

5. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

I have made sandwiches and taken bottles of water to hand out to people on the street corners.