The end of summer blues

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kalley167, Aug 19, 2005.

1. kalley167

kalley167 New Member

Well summers end is closing on us fast now. Kids will be returning to school and the leaves will begin to fall way to soon. The tempatures will begin to fluctuate. I am dreading this since I have Fibromyalgia & CFS, with my Primary Sjogren's, when it starts getting cold and damp I start to ache. Everyday something does anyways but when the weather starts messing around it makes it worse.

So the end of summer makes me kind of depressed, I guess I get that way anytime something ends even a season that I really like. I feel we didn't do much this year. It's the first time in a long time we didn't take a big family vacation and go somewhere. My kids are growing up so fast, my daughter is getting married next year and my son is 16. So family vacations will be different now. Lots of things go through my head.

I am not going to do well with this empty nest thing. I cry every once and a while now just thinking that I have no more babies. That they don't need me as much. And I cry for the things we used to do as they grew up. And I cry for the things I didn't do that now I wish I had. I guess a lot of mothers have been through this or will at sometime. But I am not sure how to cope with this.

With my illness I wonder if that will make it all seem worse. Life throughs us so many curves and changes are inevitiable. Hope you don't feel I just rambled here. I just needed to type this out for self therapy. Thanks for reading.
  2. jbennett2

jbennett2 New Member

I have been feeling the same way this week - especially the last few days when it's only been in the low 40's at night! Had to wear a sweater all day yesterday. Took the heating pad to bed last night. Time to put more blankets back on the bed and sleep with socks on!

I used to like winter somewhat, but not so anymore. I get SAD and just can't seem to take the cold. I used to enjoy going cross country skiing, but can count on one hand the times I went last year.

Summer has flown by - it was a nice one, but I did not get the time off that I usually have so haven't been able to enjoy it as much as I would have liked. I LOVE summer. My dh, on the other hand, hates it and is looking foward to fall - he loves the kind of weather we're having this week.

Different strokes for different folks.
  3. kalley167

kalley167 New Member

kind replies.
  4. pepper

pepper New Member

I have been watching families do the "family thing" all summer either out the window of the car or on TV and feel so sad that my kids missed out on so much when they were growing up because they had a sick mom.

My older son is married and I have one at home that may never leave. :) But it is rewarding to see the older one on his own and doing so well. I miss him (a lot) but am so proud of him and talk to him frequently.

Having just one at home has helped my stress level somewhat. Having one less person coming and going alleviates the stress I think.

Although your kids don't need you like they did when they were babies, they will always be your "babies" and will always need you. I needed my mom until the day she died - and I was 46!

I do think that the change of seasons is harder on us for some reason. I have noticed that my friends who share these DD's feel worse in the fall. I do too.

So we have to weather it out and know that things will get better.

Take care of yourself.
    Pepper
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

We still have more than two months of 90+ degree days and more than two months of hurricane season. By this time every year, I can't wait for that heavenly winter Southern FL weather.

My nest has been empty for a loooooong time. I miss my kids, but honestly, I feel I'm better off alone until I get well.

Hoping your blues go away.

Love, Mikie
  6. kalley167

kalley167 New Member

for the replies. I am sorry it took me so long to reply back this past weekend was so busy. But I wanted to let you all know I appreciate you advice and support. It's good to know that I am not alone with these feelings. I know this is all going to be hard on me. I also know that the FMS/CFS doesn't help. My husband just finished a classic car for me that we will take to car shows together with some friends. It is nice to have something in common with my husband again other than the kids. I am sure we will be fine but it just hurts to let go.
    Again Thanks for al of your kind words.